Open Access 2013 database in Access 2010?

Question

I have an assignment due tomorrow which is using Access 2010 for their base program.  I have Office 2013 and in my other classes, I have turned in in Word documents, Excel spreadsheets with downward compatibility turned on and this has not posed a problem. 

In saving the file in Access 2013, I cannot see where to make it downward compatible. 

Does anyone know if it is possible to open a 2013 Access saved database with defaults into Access 2010?  (I don't have 2010 to test, just 2013). 

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

I saw that thread, but figured it was since it was using a Macro. 

Talked to a tech support person via their chat at the University which said it wouldn't be a problem, but I didn't get a good feeling from them on that.  I am getting some conflicting information on this though:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/convert-a-database-to-the-accdb-file-format-HA102749625.aspx

Microsoft Access 2013, Access 2010, and Access 2007 create databases in the .accdb file format. This format supports features such as multivalued fields, data macros, and publishing to Access Services.

You can convert databases that were created in Microsoft Office Access 2003, Access 2002, Access 2000, or Access 97 to the .accdb file format. Keep in mind, though, that a database in the .accdb file format cannot be opened or linked to by using versions of Access earlier than Access 2007.

In addition, the .accdb format does not support replication or user-level security. If you need to share your database with people who use Access 2003 or earlier, or if you need to use replication or user-level security, you must use the .mdb file format.

Note    Even though they share the same file format, some features of Access 2013 and Access 2010 cannot be used in Access 2007. For more information, see the section Use Access 2007 to open a database that was created or modified in Access 2010 or Access 2013.

Since they are using 2010, I am figuring that it should work okay, but since this is a weighted grade of 14% of my total grade, I don't want to lose out based on them not being able to open it. :)

So, it appears that they were able to open the assignment without any problems which was saved in 2013 in their older software.   Got my grade back and there was no comment stating otherwise. ;)

I could have sworn I've done this.  I just looked (It's under File > Save & Publish) and you can save the Database file as an Access 2000, Access 2002-2003 Files, but I don't see an option for latter versions.  I don't honestly know if a 2013 database file can be opened with 2010, but as mentioned by someone else, they both use the aacdb file type, so it's possible (With some limitations).

I have 2010 here, so my options might be slightly different.  So you might have more options in 2013...

I hope that helps.

So, it appears that they were able to open the assignment without any problems which was saved in 2013 in their older software.   Got my grade back and there was no comment stating otherwise. ;)

That's the main thing anyway. :)