New build - BIOS only partly detects hard drive

When I boot the PC, I see screenshot 1, screenshot 2 and then after screeenshot 2, I just get black screen a blinking prompt at the top left.

I have installed a bootable copy of the Windows 7 installer to a USB flash drive. If I boot from that (using F8), it seems to do something for a few seconds before the system reboots. Setup does not resume.

The hard drive works perfectly in my main PC.

Screenshot 3 is the Main section of the BIOS. It contains:

• Storage Configuration (Screenshot 4)
  • AHCI Configuration (Screenshot 5 and Screenshot 6)

Screenshot 7 is the Boot section of the BIOS. It contains:

• Boot Device Priority (Screenshot 8)
  • Hard Disk Drives (Screenshot 9)

post-645-0-68255200-1376833222.jpg

post-645-0-31510000-1376833228.jpg

post-645-0-70559100-1376833233.jpg

post-645-0-65983800-1376833238.jpg

post-645-0-96777100-1376833243.jpg

post-645-0-33927500-1376833249.jpg

post-645-0-88878700-1376833253.jpg

post-645-0-88619300-1376833256.jpg

post-645-0-32941900-1376833259.jpg

First guess (as something similar happened to me on my M2N SLi-Deluxe) have you tried flashing the bios to a different version? I had to bo back to an older cersion (!.6, I think) as the latest version bugged my pc

(windows didn't boot properly, system didn't 'see' my other 2 hard drives etc... gave up and found the older bios data and it fixed everything)

Have you / can you test the drive in a different system.

It works fantastically in my main PC.

Unplug the hard drive and see if it boots, if not its not the hard drive.  Everything is fine in the bios from you ss.

What do you mean, if it boots? It's booting just fine now.

The only issue is when the hard drive takes over, and that won't change if the drive is removed.

First guess (as something similar happened to me on my M2N SLi-Deluxe) have you tried flashing the bios to a different version? I had to bo back to an older cersion (!.6, I think) as the latest version bugged my pc

(windows didn't boot properly, system didn't 'see' my other 2 hard drives etc... gave up and found the older bios data and it fixed everything)

I have 0904 installed. I'll try 1102.

Ok so number one... the BIOS detecting the drive is one controller.. the JMICRON is the second controller on the board.. so the drive is only going to show up on one of those...

How do I fix this?

I have installed a bootable copy of the Windows 7 installer to a USB flash drive. If I boot from that (using F8), it seems to do something for a few seconds before the system reboots. Setup does not resume.

Your words are confusing then.  Did you finish installing windows, to the point it boots in windows for the first time, user setup etc.

How do I fix this?

What motherboard is it? look at your manual there should be like 8 SATA ports, 6 will be onboard, 2 will be the 2nd controller.. just make sure you are plugged into the onboard and disable the 2nd controller in the bios.

Ok so number one... the BIOS detecting the drive is one controller.. the JMICRON is the second controller on the board.. so the drive is only going to show up on one of those...

JMicron doesn't show up any devices connected on mine, but as everything works, (I just ignore the Jmicron post)

Your words are confusing then.  Did you finish installing windows, to the point it boots in windows for the first time, user setup etc.

I installed a bootable copy of the Windows 7 installer to a USB flash drive. Makes sense to me :) It acts like a disk ISO.

When I try to boot from it, after a few seconds, the computer restarts. Not even the Windows setup loading screen appears.

What motherboard is it? look at your manual there should be like 8 SATA ports, 6 will be onboard, 2 will be the 2nd controller.. just make sure you are plugged into the onboard and disable the 2nd controller in the bios.

It's in the first screenshot, an Asus P7H55-M SI :) It only has one bank of 6x SATA ports.

How many hard drives do you have installed.  Looking at you BIOS screens you have a CD/DVD drive and a Western Digital HD, assuming you don't have any other drive installed then what you are seeing is correct.  uoi have two HD controllers, 1 Intel and 1 JMicron, there is nothing attached to the JMicron which is what that screen is telling you.  To get rid of that message you need to go back in to the BIOS and disable the JMicron controller.

If you aren't getting the Win7 installer when booting from the USB drive I would try recreating it from scratch.  What process did you follow to create it?

That's weird then, cause I don't think that board even has a JMicron controller on it.

Did you install a PCI/PCI express controller card also?

I only have a video card and wireless LAN card connected.

How many hard drives do you have installed.  Looking at you BIOS screens you have a CD/DVD drive and a Western Digital HD, assuming you don't have any other drive installed then what you are seeing is correct.  uoi have two HD controllers, 1 Intel and 1 JMicron, there is nothing attached to the JMicron which is what that screen is telling you.  To get rid of that message you need to go back in to the BIOS and disable the JMicron controller.

If you aren't getting the Win7 installer when booting from the USB drive I would try recreating it from scratch.  What process did you follow to create it?

I have the one hard drive installed and no optical drive.

I see no way to disable the JMicron controller, unless you can?

I created the bootable USB flash drive using Microsoft's Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool. Has always worked flawlessly for me.

Honestly, (Although I could be wrong) I don't think the Jmicron controller is giving you the issue.

You mentioned you have another machine... is it possible for you to make a boot disk from the flash iso?

As Xendrome says that board isn't listed as having a JMicron controller installed, do you have a RAID controller plugged in to a PCIE slot perhaps?  Although as +Dushmany says this is a non-issue other than increase boot time this will have no other affect on the machine.

I've had a few issues with the MS Win7 tool in the past with corrupted files when they are copied over (also a dodgy USB drive on one occasion).  I would format the stick and re-create it to make certain.

The JMicron shouldn't exist on that board unless I am reading something wrong... so I dunno, did you flash it with a different BIOS?

The latest BIOS is installed (1102). 0904 was installed when I made this topic. 1102 didn't change anything regarding this situation.

Honestly, (Although I could be wrong) I don't think the Jmicron controller is giving you the issue.

You mentioned you have another machine... is it possible for you to make a boot disk from the flash iso?

The drive is formatted now (I did that on my main PC) but when I first had the drive, (it's second-hand) Windows 8 was installed on it and that installation worked fine.

As soon as I put that drive back into the PC I'm trying to sort, the Windows 8 installation didn't boot. I got the problems I'm getting now.

I installed a bootable copy of the Windows 7 installer to a USB flash drive. Makes sense to me :) It acts like a disk ISO.

When I try to boot from it, after a few seconds, the computer restarts. Not even the Windows setup loading screen appears.

Like I said remove the hd and boot to the USB flash drive.  If you can't even get the setup installer to load something is wrong with the system.  Even with no hd attached, windows setup will start.

As Xendrome says that board isn't listed as having a JMicron controller installed, do you have a RAID controller plugged in to a PCIE slot perhaps?  Although as +Dushmany says this is a non-issue other than increase boot time this will have no other affect on the machine.

I've had a few issues with the MS Win7 tool in the past with corrupted files when they are copied over (also a dodgy USB drive on one occasion).  I would format the stick and re-create it to make certain.

I only have a video card and wireless LAN card connected.

I'll re-create the bootable image, but I'm not sure that's the issue.

Like I said remove the hd and boot to the USB flash drive.  If you can't even get the setup installer to load something is wrong with the system.  Even with no hd attached, windows setup will start.

The setup screen came up (with the logo and loading bar) but the loading bar doesn't do anything before the computer restarts itself.

Guys, I've noticed if I disable "JMB368 IDE" in "Onboard Devices Configuration" (screenshot below), the JMicron screen no longer appears.

All the same issues are occurring, though.

post-645-0-63750800-1376837879.jpg

Something I just remembered when I installed 7 on an ancient Clevo D9t

I had to get a driver for the hard drive when formatting for the install. I had the driver on a flash drive, and used my DVD for the install, but it would not install until after I had loaded the driver, then removed the flash drive.

Now I freely admit, this is not your issue, but maybe it's the flash drive

(please note: I'm only offer this as a troubleshooting tip)