In what can only be described as a bizarre crime, which police appear to have only scratched the surface of, the lead singer of a recently reunited rock band was kidnapped, attacked, robbed, and released over the weekend.

Alex Band, best known as lead singer of The Calling, was abducted in Lapeer, Michigan, early on the morning of Sunday, August 18, according to a press release from the Lapeer Police Department.

Police responded to a call from a regional hospital emergency department at 4:30 a.m. regarding the incident. Band reported "being forced into a blue colored minivan style vehicle between 3 a.m. and 4 a.m. by two male subjects" in the area of West Street and South Main Street. He claimed that he was "assaulted, robbed, and dropped off on another street within the City of Lapeer."

One of his fellow band members took him to the hospital, where he was treated and released. The incident remains under investigation.

TMZ, who was first to report the news, reports that Band was out for a stroll to the mini mart at the time of the abduction.

Band suffered a fractured lower spine, 15 stitches in his chin, 3 broken teeth and bruises on his side and stomach, according to a statement released on the group's Facebook page. Band credits his unborn child with saving his life. During the beating with a police baton, Band told the attackers that he would soon be a dad.

"I never thought my unborn child would be my savior," he said in the statement. "I am grateful to be alive, and I know that I am destined for bringing my music back to my fans."

Band also denied claims that the incident was drug related. "I take my drug rehabilitation very seriously. I was near death due to this unbelievable situation and the rumors are categorically false and not a hoax as reported," he said.

more & video

post-37120-0-34609600-1376949193.jpg

I wonder if the robbers knew he was in a band, and thought he had a lot of money.

Alex should have been smart enough to not carry cash.