MS @ Gamescom 2013

I thought I would start a thread to discuss the MS news coming out of Gamescom this week. 

Like Sony, MS will have an event before Gamescom starts.  I don't think their event will be live streamed anywhere.  It was mentioned that this event will include a lot of hands on time for the press with developers for many games being on hand to answer questions.  It will have a shortened conference format that is followed by the hands on press event.  I haven't seen any mention of the length of the event, so we will see.

MS will also be delivering the keynote address for Gamescom itself.  Phil Spencer is suppose to talk about the X1 among other things.  There is a rumor that MS will announce a new exclusive title and the possibility of a bundled game with the console.  MS has also mentioned that they will be laying out their self publishing and indie developer programs, so there should be a lot of new info.  Maybe that will also include info on how their app store will work. 

Major Nelson's blog is a good source for the latest info if your wanting to get the announcements as they come.  If either of the MS events are live streamed, I'll add links to them. 

Xbox Independent Games will have access Xbox One - Kinect, SmartGlass, Xbox Live, rich analytics, cloud.

Xbox Independent Games program will have no Fees: no certification, no activation!

Chris Charla @iocat is the new head of Xbox Independent Games program

Fable is made by developer Lionhead, and incorporates SmartGlass to allow you to play on your tablet in realtime.  Well that just made SmartGlass even better.

IGN Preview of Fable Legends...

Albion - Lionhead's fantastical, idealised, over-saturated version of England's green and pleasant land - looks more beautiful than ever. Dense woodland and verdant meadows stretch off into the distance, where a tumbledown city is just visible. A hero fights some goblin-like redcaps on a clifftop, giving himself a running commentary as he does so: "our hero enters the scene: brave, charming, capable of self-narration." It's a good-humoured fairytale, just like Fable has always been.

But there is a difference. The hero on-screen, a Prince Charming type who flourishes a rapier and wise-cracks in classic Fable style - is just one of four working together. The other three - a fabulously-attired magician, a female warrior with a shield that looks like it weighs as much as she does, a crossbow-wielding archer - are controlled by other players. And the enemies are controlled by another, fifth player: the villain. From a top-down perspective, the villain controls the heroes' quest, placing enemies, traps, ambushes and more in their path as they play. He's the classic dungeon master.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/08/20/gamescom-fable-legends-is-fable-but-with-friends

In Europe this Holiday: All pre-orders of #XboxOne will include a copy of FIFA 14 (while stock lasts),  that's huge IMO.

Their pre order numbers in the region must be horrific. Also, wont help much if the PS4 releases earlier (which it is in many regions thanks to Xbone delays) and you can still get it with Fifa for cheaper.

Their pre order numbers in the region must be horrific. Also, wont help much if the PS4 releases earlier (which it is in many regions thanks to Xbone delays) and you can still get it with Fifa for cheaper.

Well some good news might come out of this event so it really should have been live blogged at least.  

Isn't the xbox release delayed in a couple of EU countries - UK should be getting it in time, so are the other EU countries - italy, spain, etc.. Lastly, A game bundled with the whole package would hurt no one.

In Europe this Holiday: All pre-orders of #XboxOne will include a copy of FIFA 14 (while stock lasts),  that's huge IMO.

I'm not a massive Fifa fan, I certainly wouldn't be buying it because I can't afford all the games I do want however this is still pretty good. 

Well some good news might come out of this event so it really should have been live blogged at least.  

Isn't the xbox release delayed in a couple of EU countries - UK should be getting it in time, so are the other EU countries - italy, spain, etc.. Lastly, A game bundled with the whole package would hurt no one.

Of course it wouldn't hurt anyone, but some want to put a negative spin on anything XB1 related.  This was hardly a waste of time,  the new ID program is big news on it's own, even if some want to glaze over it for some reason.

Xbox One: Microsoft secures Tom Clancy?s The Division exclusive contentBy Alex Schmitz on August 20, 2013

http://www.gamechup.com/xbox-one-microsoft-secures-tom-clancys-the-division-exclusive-content/

Gamescom: Don't Worry About Ryse: Son of Rome

No, it's not all QTEs after all.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/20/dont-worry-about-ryse-son-of-rome

Of course it wouldn't hurt anyone, but some want to put a negative spin on anything XB1 related.  This was hardly a waste of time,  the new ID program is big news on it's own, even if some want to glaze over it for some reason.

Its a thinly veiled attempt to compete with Sony's price whilst actually not reducing the price at all. Sorry if I don't see that in the same light as you do. The Indie developer thing is also just reactionary to Sony. 

Maybe if Microsoft had a clear vision from the start, instead of being like a rabbit in the headlights they wouldnt even have to do this. At the moment its all about momentum and Microsoft should be using events like gamescom to promote why people should be choosing an Xbox One over PS4, but all they have is more of the same. "Oh we dont have enough exclusives to talk about dont worry lets roll out another none-gameplay video of Halo/Gears/Fable while talking about how exclusive COD DLC adds value."

Its pathetic.

Its a thinly veiled attempt to compete with Sony's price whilst actually not reducing the price at all. Sorry if I don't see that in the same light as you do. The Indie developer thing is also just reactionary to Sony. 

Maybe if Microsoft had a clear vision from the start, instead of being like a rabbit in the headlights they wouldnt even have to do this. At the moment its all about momentum and Microsoft should be using events like gamescom to promote why people should be choosing an Xbox One over PS4, but all they have is more of the same. "Oh we dont have enough exclusives to talk about dont worry lets roll out another none-gameplay video of Halo/Gears/Fable while talking about how exclusive COD DLC adds value."

Its pathetic.

You can use that view for pretty much anything these days when you filter out all the BS/marketing.

I am eager to see what the independent devs have to say about the new program. With regards to your comment about this being reactionary, I remember (and correct me if I am wrong) MS announced that they will support indie dev/have an indie dev oriented program back when the One was announced, they just never gave away any details and the media spun it around as they liked.

Its pathetic.

Because Sony tossing in a game and charging more for the PS4 is different when you use that view of it?    The problem here is that you think it's reactionary when there's no proof to support your claim.   They didn't give out these details back at E3 or the review but they've been dropping hints all the way, sorry if you didn't see it.   

I also like how you talk up exclusive dlc as being a joke, guess Sony doesn't see it that way since they've been doing the same thing. 

• Like 3

Only one thing in this thread that is pathetic.  We can all guess what that is.

He's entitled to his opinion just as much as you are.  The information is out there.  What's really important is the info coming out of Gamescon.

The pricing structure for Xbox One exclusive Killer Instinct has been announced by Microsoft.

There will be two different bundles available, one costing ?16.99 and another for ?34.99.

The Combo Breaker bundle is the cheaper option, and contains six launch characters, all the characters, and training mode.

Then there?s the more expensive Ultra Combo bundle, which includes all of the above along with two post launch characters, more stages, and the original Killer Instinct packed in.

Fighters will still be available to purchase individually, and more faces are planned to join the roster over time, including a few fan favourites.

and

More information about the new Ubisoft Kinect game: Fighter Within.

It will be an Xbox One title that uses the Kinect 2 sensor to control onscreen battles. Punches, kicks and other ?trigger? movements will translate into attacks for the game?s onscreen avatar.

It seems to be a refinement of Fighters Uncaged, a Kinect title from Ubisoft which didn?t fare too well when it was released on the Xbox 360.

source: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology-science/live-updates-gamescom-2013-details-2190335

Because Sony tossing in a game and charging more for the PS4 is different when you use that view of it?    The problem here is that you think it's reactionary when there's no proof to support your claim.   They didn't give out these details back at E3 or the review but they've been dropping hints all the way, sorry if you didn't see it.   

I also like how you talk up exclusive dlc as being a joke, guess Sony doesn't see it that way since they've been doing the same thing. 

Look, exclusive DLC only harms consumers, regardless of who is doing it. I find it hard to believe someone would spend $500 on a system just because it gets a new map for COD a few days early. I dont think it adds any value whatsoever, and find it frustrating the console manufacturers are using it as selling points rather than new ips. 

I dont think you can go the other way in terms of price. I dont want Fifa, PS4 is still $100 cheaper the bundling by MS doesnt change that.

Youre right, Microsoft didnt give out any details. All we had to go on were what Indie devs were saying; which was that MS needed to change.

Its pathetic.

Can you please drop the Sony did it first and Microsoft is pathetic for once and stop derailing the thread?

Can you please drop the Sony did it first and Microsoft is pathetic for once and stop derailing the thread?

Talking about Microsofts Gamescom announcements in a "Microsoft@Gamescom" thread is derailing now?

Neowin is a special place.