Neill Blomkamp's Sci-Fi Comedy 'Chappie' (2015)

1377052638.jpg

After Neill Blomkamp's second film Elysium opened #1 at the box office just over a week ago, Sony announced last week that they're partnering with Media Rights Capital to co-produce, co-finance and distribute his next film Chappie. The film will tell he story of a robot (voiced by Sharlto Copley) imbued with artificial intelligence who is stolen by two local gangsters who want to use him for their own nefarious purposes. Ninja and Yolandi Visser, voices of the South African Zef counter-culture movement and rap-rave duo Die Antwoord, will play the gangsters. Now THR has learned the film hits theaters March 27, 2015, adding to a crowded box office year that includes The Avengers: Age of Ultron and much more.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2013/neill-blomkamps-sci-fi-comedy-chappie-getting-march-2015-release/

• 1 month later...

ELYSIUM director Neill Blomkamp's CHAPPIE is moving right along, recently adding Jose Pablo Cantillo to the ever-growing cast list that already includes Sharlto Copley and Die Antwoord's Yo Landi Visser and Ninja, and today we have word that one of Hollywood's biggest heavyweights has signed on for the unique sci-fi project.

Screen Daily is reporting that PRISONERS star Hugh Jackman has confirmed that he has been cast in CHAPPIE, telling reporters at the Zurich Film Festival...

Yes, that?s true. I am doing a role in Neill?s new film, called Chappie, which we shoot in Johannesburg. I?m there for a couple of weeks at the beginning of next year.?

This sounds like an interesting choice for Jackman who has proven time and again that he's an extremely versatile actor unafraid to tackle unique roles. I'm already curious as to the character he'll play.

Chappie tells the story of a robot with artificial intelligence that is stolen by two local gangsters who want to use him for their own nefarious purposes.

http://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/news/hugh-jackman-joins-neill-blomkamps-chappie
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

It would be silly to break from what works.

I didn't say it was a bad thing? lol. I"m glad he made it his style. 

• 3 months later...

i do not like Die Antwoord at all - but my appreciation of Blomkamp overrules them and the trailer looks like a fun ride anyway. Looking forward to this.

• 2 months later...