Maybe the reason behind bundling a Kinect with every Xbox One...

It's very simple, Xbox One is built around the Kinect. I just don't understand why people still believe otherwise.

What usually happens is that there are multiple competing teams working on such a project in parallel. At some point,

one design is chosen as "winner" and that becomes the device/console. An insider claimed on some forum not too long ago,

that Microsoft did in fact have a much more powerful and mature system in development. That system got scrapped in favour

of a Kinect orientated design after the success of the original Kinect.

Kinect is the future for Microsoft, most likely beyond just the Xbox device, but to become a key Xbox-division device. The Xbox division

is Microsoft's entertainment division, not just about the Xbox itself. I imagine a very mainstream orientated Kinect for Windows,

games/entertainment/computer interaction in the not too distant future.

I love illumiroom, but I am starting to think that Microsoft is very secret about stuff they are supporting and not so secret on other stuff.

I am starting to notice a pattern here....

Illumiroom came out as a patent and it's not going to be used for a long time if ever and so that wasn't secret.

Kinect was secret and we didn't know about it or have patents about it and it just appeared when it was "Project Natal".

The glasses that we know about in the documentation (Fortezzla) or however you spell it, is not going to be augmented reality, it's going to be Virtual Reality (this is what I believe).

You can do more with Virtual Reality than with Augmented reality and with Kinect this would make a lot of sense.

This guy coined the term "Virtual Reality" and he worked for Atari back in the day.  He is an author of a couple of books as well as a Musician.

http://www.geekwire.com/2011/virtual-reality-visionary-jaron-lanier-microsoft-gig-kinect-beautiful-exciting/

This guy works at Microsoft research and has done a lot of Virtual Reality work.

Note: This is ONLY speculation on my part, but I have noticed that the real stuff that

Microsoft Research is working on is not based on patents that are available to the public.

Virtual Reality headset that works with Kinect and works with WiFi Direct would be interesting. 

Augmented reality is not as useful and wouldn't make as much sense.

There is also a podcast with Albert Penello at very end of it that he got a device from "Microsoft Research" and he can't tell the public, so they go off the air and talk about it and come back and everyone is talking about how their device doesn't hold a candle to what Albert had.  For those of you that doesn't know he leads planning for Xbox One, Xbox 360 and Kinect.  So, if he tried a device that is from Microsoft Research, it might be that device. Every podcast these guys tell what devices they are using this week.  Phones, gadgets, all kinds of devices and Albert talked about his and since he is from planning on Xbox it must have been something big.

http://majornelson.com/cast/2013/08/09/mnr-487-unboxing-xbox-one/

Also I have posted this before, but whatever the device is Kudo_Tsunoda is working on exclusive software for it.  See the image below for proof.  This is after the May 21st conference.

post-434442-0-97186400-1377600052.png

Also I have posted this before, but whatever the device is Kudo_Tsunoda is working on exclusive software for it.  See the image below for proof.  This is after the May 21st conference.

attachicon.gifKudo_Tsunoda.png

He is probably working on "Fortaleza".

http://www.bing.com/search?q=Microsoft+fortaleza&pc=MOZI&form=MOZLBR

I have that exact document that they are talking about.  However, here is the deal.  A lot of stuff from that document has drastically evolved. For example.  The cloud was supposed to come out in 2015 for the Xbox 720 as it was called at the time and not only that but it was to be something like the Gaikai service back then.   It would stream game content to you.

Now we know not only has the time changed as it will launch with the service, but the functionality has changed as well.

If you go to the end of the document you will see it says "Additional questions to answer for Todd" that person is Todd Holmdahl (Corporate Vice President IEB Hardware).

The reason why I mention this is that this is a very, very, very early document and lots of things have changed with Microsoft Research.

A lot of people think of Microsoft as a Dinosaur and that they are old and out of date.  However, Microsoft Research is one of the largest Research and Development in the entire industry, it was started in 1991 and it has been bearing a lot of fruit recently. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Research

Look at all of those campuses around the world.  That is huge.   Anyway, I just don't think it's going to be only Augmented Reality and that it is.   Augmented reality by itself is fairly quite limited in what you can do, there has to be more too it.

Virtual Reality would make more sense with Kinect.   They already showed the glasses in the patents for Augmented Reality and like I said I feel that isn't it.

The things that are really hidden and a surprise are done so without public knowledge.  

Kudo Tsunoda works for the Studios but working on supporting future technology.  He is working directly with the guys at Microsoft Research.  Microsoft Research creates the hardware ideas.  Kudo, maybe adds in suggestions but mainly takes care of the software for the device that Microsoft Research creates.  So, when you see him on stage at some future E3, you will know that he is been working on some games and other new software for new futuristic next gen hardware for Xbox One.

By the way, I wanted to make something clear.  I do believe that the "Augmented Reality" glasses will be used.  It's just that they won't be used for Xbox One.

They will be used along with your mobile phone.  I believe that Augmented Reality would work better for gaming and be a killer app for mobile.  Using WiFi and communicating with

your cellphone in your pocket you could do some amazing stuff.  It can track your eyes, it has a depth camera and it also has Voice recognition.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/02/microsoft-ar-glasses-for-multiplayer-gaming-patent/

Xbox One already has Kinect and already does Voice Recognition, so I just don't believe that this is the same thing that they are working on for Xbox One.

If you look at the patent it's about multi player using a depth Camera like Kinect and combines that with Augmented reality to make multiplayer something unique.

It's really unique enough to offer for Microsoft Phones and they might be using this to drive their phone sales up, which would be a great idea.

I just doubt this is for Xbox One.  Now, they may well interface this in with XB1, but it's really a mobile feature connected with a smart phone.

As I told you guys, I felt that Illumiroom isn't coming and I was right.

http://www.ausgamers.com/news/read/3348405/xbox-one-to-360-communication-limited-to-text-only-illumiroom-unlikely-to-be-greenlit

Basically, if you can see the patents in a public place then it's either not coming or it's not for the Xbox Group.

The Augmented Reality glasses were a patent that was available to the public.   The really good things are done in full secrecy.

As I told you guys, I felt that Illumiroom isn't coming and I was right.

http://www.ausgamers.com/news/read/3348405/xbox-one-to-360-communication-limited-to-text-only-illumiroom-unlikely-to-be-greenlit

Basically, if you can see the patents in a public place then it's either not coming or it's not for the Xbox Group.

The Augmented Reality glasses were a patent that was available to the public.   The really good things are done in full secrecy.

I don't think any one is any doubt that we wouldn't be seeing it any time soon, but i reckon we will see it, or a form of it, at some point.

• 2 weeks later...