3% of American Internet users still stuck with dial-up

aolcd-e1343397515818.jpg?w=618

While many of us think of dial-up Internet service as a long-buried relic of years past, for many Americans it?s still a sad, slow reality. The Pew Research Center reports that around 3% of American Internet users are still using dial-up services as their means for going online, a percentage that hasn?t change since 2011. Given that the decline in dial-up subscribers has slowed dramatically over the past two years, it seems that the remaining 3% who still use dial-up have no options to subscribe to DSL or cable and are more or less stuck with the service if they want to go online. This may explain why AOL has actually been jacking up prices for dial-up users recently since its customers seemingly have nowhere else to go.

http://bgr.com/2013/08/21/dial-up-internet-users/

Yeah, when you live way out in the country its hard to get modern technology sometimes. What gets me though is they use that bloatware called AOL. I admit when I first started using the internet in 1996 I thought that AOL was the internet but within a few short months I learned that AOL wasn't needed. I ditched them when other provides came around. 

Around 2% of the UK is still on Dial-up too. According to an article in 2008  huge portion of those still on dial-up aren't interested in Broadband, would be interesting to know how much the figures have changes since then.

Stuck with, or don't want to pay to get Satellite Internet?

I dont know about where you live but here satalite internet is expensive and the quality signal you get sucks especially during bad weather. 

• Like 2

I dont know about where you live but here satalite internet is expensive and the quality signal you get sucks especially during bad weather. 

I pay $92 a month for Hughesnet. It's that or dialup for me.

Ugh! I threw up a little when I saw that AOL CD. I wonder how many billions of those are in our land fills.

Sucked when they switched to CDs. AOL kept me stocked with all the 3.5" floppies I needed back in the mid 90s.

I loved the CDs when they first started.

Surfed the Net for free for a very long time.  I think I must have used up free Internet time from each cds code that amounts to 30-40 hours.

Laughable now, but it was a big deal back then.  

I have some old AOL cds in a drawer somewhere. They had some games included which was cool. Does anyone recall how long it took to load a webpage on dial up?

I have some old AOL cds in a drawer somewhere. They had some games included which was cool. Does anyone recall how long it took to load a webpage on dial up?

In the mid 90s? Not long. Most web pages were very small and static.

In the mid 90s? Not long. Most web pages were very small and static.

it took a while for mine to load especially compared to cable now days. You could definitely see a lag in loading a webpage on 56k. Also downloading a 10mb file would take awhile and for massive files, a few days sometimes a week if you could stay connected that long.  

where my mom lives , there is dialup and then dsl and 5mb is the fastest

I have nightmares about losing my 100mb connection and living there and trying to get faster speeds.

how would you download nvidia drivers or any driver? or even windows updates on dialup. take too damn long.

• Like 1

WIll suck to be in the 3%.

People still pay for dialup? Dial Up is 'almost' free to everyone, in the entire country, who wishes to use it here, when you connect, you pay the call charges (about 2c/5 min) and thats that.

where my mom lives , there is dialup and then dsl and 5mb is the fastest

I have nightmares about losing my 100mb connection and living there and trying to get faster speeds.

how would you download nvidia drivers or any driver? or even windows updates on dialup. take too damn long.

I used to go to the Library for huge downloads. :laugh: