Bradley Manning: I want to live as a woman

There's no need to put down someone or something just because you don't understand it. People in prison still receive medical treatment and care. Gender dysphoria is a well-recognized and accepted medical issue that requires treatment that can include, and is not limited to, hormone treatment and certain surgeries. It's well-recognized and accepted because of the tremendous amount of data, experience, testing, interviews, reviews, and research done by countless medical and psychological experts. We should trust the experts in their field; they usually know what they are talking about.

Many of us on this site are tech experts; do you want people to trust us that we know computers and technology, or do you want them to say, "You don't know what you're talking about! My processor needs more RAM because I can't download Google!"

People with gender dysphoria are still people. They are your mothers, your fathers, your kids, your coworkers, your friends. Every single person in this world is fighting a personal battle of some kind.

And therefore folks, its okay for him to leak intelligence information, you know, because he has gender issues and stuff. Apparently gender issues mean you have no integrity.

He can be a girl...... the girl.... in male prison  :woot:

• Like 2

Please don't judge me for asking this:

Has it been mentioned whether he suffers aspergers or is on the autism spectrum at all?

How in the world this relates to autism or asperger?

This is either a very, VERY, strange -and suspiciously timely convenient for him- kind of gender dysphoria or a smear campaign.

• Like 1

How in the world this relates to autism or asperger?

This is either a very, VERY, strange -and suspiciously timely convenient for him- kind of gender dysphoria or a smear campaign.

Maybe he is trying to act crazy so he can be declared incompetent.

• Like 1

Nobody mentions that the laws used to convict him were legislated and made up on the spot, specifically to nail him. He has also been tortured for many years without trial, think you'd be completely together after that?

On top of that, to you brainwashed folks, he did not commit treason because congress did not declare a war and there is no official enemy by law. At least take some time to do some critical thinking before you go running off at the mouth.

As another person said, this could be a smear campaign and a hit piece to discredit him.

not that i'm some conspiracy nut, but this looks like some kind of smear campaign, discredit and ruin the person in the public eye and take away any attention as to what he put out there.

That's what I thought as well. And or to make his life difficult for him once he is released.

There's no need to put down someone or something just because you don't understand it. People in prison still receive medical treatment and care. Gender dysphoria is a well-recognized and accepted medical issue that requires treatment that can include, and is not limited to, hormone treatment and certain surgeries. It's well-recognized and accepted because of the tremendous amount of data, experience, testing, interviews, reviews, and research done by countless medical and psychological experts. We should trust the experts in their field; they usually know what they are talking about.

Many of us on this site are tech experts; do you want people to trust us that we know computers and technology, or do you want them to say, "You don't know what you're talking about! My processor needs more RAM because I can't download Google!"

People with gender dysphoria are still people. They are your mothers, your fathers, your kids, your coworkers, your friends. Every single person in this world is fighting a personal battle of some kind.

This all may be true, but I'm sorry, this guy is a convicted TRAITOR. You know what most armies did to traitors just a few decades ago?? They SHOT them. Or hanged them. Pick your execution style. He should be thanking his lucky stars he is still alive because he was born in a time we no longer do that. But no, he's whining that he can't live as and become a woman while in prison... which is supposed to be punishment for his crimes. 

Thankfully looks like the army doesn't pay for such things, nor should it.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/aug/22/bradley-manning-will-serve-time-man-army-says/

not that i'm some conspiracy nut, but this looks like some kind of smear campaign, discredit and ruin the person in the public eye and take away any attention as to what he put out there.

BS.  His own lawyer released this info for him.  The guy is not only a traitor, but he is nuts.  Why isn't he executed for treason?  The only therapy that we need to do with him in prison it to convince him that he is really a male.  We don't need to pay for expensive hormone therapy, etc.  Look in your pants, you are a male.

This all may be true, but I'm sorry, this guy is a convicted TRAITOR. You know what most armies did to traitors just a few decades ago?? They SHOT them. Or hanged them. Pick your execution style. He should be thanking his lucky stars he is still alive because he was born in a time we no longer do that. But no, he's whining that he can't live as and become a woman while in prison... which is supposed to be punishment for his crimes. 

Thankfully looks like the army doesn't pay for such things, nor should it.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/aug/22/bradley-manning-will-serve-time-man-army-says/

Yeah he's the traitor alright ... by disclosing information basically proving that the US army and their allies are killing innocent people.

• Like 2

Yeah he's the traitor alright ... by disclosing information basically proving that the US army and their allies are killing innocent people.

No, he is a traitor because he released clasified documentation, and with that he placed at risk the rest of the soldiers, who might have and might have not been directly involved in these incidents.

Him thinking that going to war will be all chocolates and roses is a bit sad....

• Like 2

No, he is a traitor because he released clasified documentation, and with that he placed at risk the rest of the soldiers, who might have and might have not been directly involved in these incidents.

Him thinking that going to war will be all chocolates and roses is a bit sad....

Yet, no one was directly hurt from the release of this information, also the people actually carrying out these crimes still go unpunished, hell they are going un prosecuted, like nothing has happened.

• Like 2

Yet, no one was directly hurt from the release of this information, also the people actually carrying out these crimes still go unpunished, hell they are going un prosecuted, like nothing has happened.

What tells you that the release of this information did not result in all the suicide bombings and the increased attacks on the US soldiers in Iraq and Afganistan that year or the year after that....

For the other crimes there is a military court... but I am not as up to date on that, so can not tell you if anyone was found accountable for the killings of the civilians.

What tells you that the release of this information did not result in all the suicide bombings and the increased attacks on the US soldiers in Iraq and Afganistan that year or the year after that....

The growing trend of that already happening? Predicting more violence in the middle east is almost like predicting the sun will rise the next day.

There is no way to prove or disprove that anything he released caused more or less damage, unless you have people screaming "THIS IS FOR THE INFO MANNING RELEASED ALLAH!!!!!" :/

Though there is a way to prove that the people in the information Manning leaked did they stuff they did... because it's in the information he leaked, imagine the stuff he didn't leak...

When push comes to shove it seems Neowin is full of spiteful and hateful people. Some of you need to grow the hell up and get some humanity (It's especially sad to see some of our supposedly esteemed staff members joining in the lynching).

As for the actual "crime" i'll leave it with this photo

post-446153-0-84214400-1377280015.jpg

Anybody else suspect he's just doing this out of spite to cost taxpayers more money, since he was caught and sent to prison?

No because that's just idiotic, purile and childish.

Since he has already let the world (including the citizens of the U.S.) know how the US army operate like they're playing Call of Duty and have absolutely no respect for human life or any foreign citizens and knowingly did so at the cost of his freedom, something like you suggest is kind of beneath him.

No because that's just idiotic, purile and childish.

Since he has already let the world (including the citizens of the U.S.) know how the US army operate like they're playing Call of Duty and have absolutely no respect for human life or any foreign citizens and knowingly did so at the cost of his freedom, something like you suggest is kind of beneath him.

What particular incident did he expose showed the US armed forces to have ... "no respect for human life or any foreign citizens"..? Genuinely curious because I cannot think of one. 

What particular incident did he expose showed the US armed forces to have ... "no respect for human life or any foreign citizens"..? Genuinely curious because I cannot think of one.

You need to think harder. Just slightly. In fact, if you had tried thinking at all you would have thought about these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_12,_2007_Baghdad_airstrike

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granai_airstrike

And there's more.

Guys, whether or not you think him leaking classified information was good or bad, you simply can't break a law to expose something else.  Yeah that's great that you're trying to be a whistle-blower, but you'll still be punished for the law you broke. This applies to everything across the board.

That's like saying it's okay to kill a guy to prevent him from carrying out his murder plot.  That's wonderful, but you're still going down for murder.

If you had a diary of all your secret thoughts, desires, etc, you'd be pretty pi*sed off if somebody snatched it and exposed it to all your friends.

Just because you think a law is stupid, doesn't mean you can weasel around it in certain circumstances.  And doing this against the people that write the laws is an even dumber idea.

• Like 3

Guys, whether or not you think him leaking classified information was good or bad, you simply can't break a law to expose something else.  Yeah that's great that you're trying to be a whistle-blower, but you'll still be punished for the law you broke. This applies to everything across the board.

Actually you can, because members of congress have Congressional Immunity which gives them the ability to speak about issues and be immune from all prosecution.

You need to think harder. Just slightly. In fact, if you had tried thinking at all you would have thought about these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_12,_2007_Baghdad_airstrike

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granai_airstrike

And there's more.

Insults huh?

First incident doesn't count. Completely justified in the context of the situation (as harsh as that might sound).

Second incident - well this seems to me to be at most gross incompetence, though the way it is described makes it sound more like stupid decisions being approved and carried out because of an active combat situation.  

So out of the two examples you have posted - neither shows the U.S. military as some sort of blood-thirsty war machine indiscriminately killing everyone who happens to be living in a war zone.  

When push comes to shove it seems Neowin is full of spiteful and hateful people. Some of you need to grow the hell up and get some humanity (It's especially sad to see some of our supposedly esteemed staff members joining in the lynching).

As for the actual "crime" i'll leave it with this photo

attachicon.gif1173849_10151826363579577_1834008740_n.jpg

I'd say the fact he wasn't sentenced to die is pretty humane.  I think that him not serving a life sentence is pretty humane as well.  As for your linked image, welcome to the real world.  There is no such thing as an innocent government, anywhere.  There will always be those immune to prosecution, and those who manage to be above the law.  Know where you yourself stand before you try breaking laws.  If you can get way with it, great.  If you can't, but are prepared for the consequences, great.  If you can't take the consequences, don't break the law.

Pretty simple, really.

• Like 2

Actually you can, because members of congress have Congressional Immunity which gives them the ability to speak about issues and be immune from all prosecution.

Good point.  The govt leaders seem to be far above their own laws though.  Everybody else doesn't get that luxury

Good point.  The govt leaders seem to be far above their own laws though.  Everybody else doesn't get that luxury

Actually you can have that luxury/right as well, if you become a journalist and take advantage of your 1st amendment rights. It's why you don't see a lot of media outlets going to jail because their newsroom has classified information in them, that they report on.

All I can say to folks on this forum is, study and learn more about your rights. Because they empower you, not weaken you.

I'd say the fact he wasn't sentenced to die is pretty humane.  I think that him not serving a life sentence is pretty humane as well.  As for your linked image, welcome to the real world.  There is no such thing as an innocent government, anywhere.  There will always be those immune to prosecution, and those who manage to be above the law.  Know where you yourself stand before you try breaking laws.  If you can get way with it, great.  If you can't, but are prepared for the consequences, great.  If you can't take the consequences, don't break the law.

Pretty simple, really.

You do know he was held in a prison cell for 10 months that has been labeled "cruel" punishment? An illegal type of punishment, his sentence should be reduced drastically for basically being tortured. Yes, he did break the law, and should be punished, but the severity of the laws he broke and the cruel punishment he already endured means he should serve out no more than 5 years.

What you are basically saying is that this guy deserves such a harsh punishment because that's what he was given... what most people are arguing is that the punish doesn't fit the crime, and those who he exposed are running free with NO consequences for their actions.

What you said was so simple it was simpleton. :/ Try to be a little more complex.

You do know he was held in a prison cell for 10 months that has been labeled "cruel" punishment? An illegal type of punishment, his sentence should be reduced drastically for basically being tortured. Yes, he did break the law, and should be punished, but the severity of the laws he broke and the cruel punishment he already endured means he should serve out no more than 5 years.

What you are basically saying is that this guy deserves such a harsh punishment because that's what he was given... what most people are arguing is that the punish doesn't fit the crime, and those who he exposed are running free with NO consequences for their actions.

What you said was so simple it was simpleton. :/ Try to be a little more complex.

Only in America could 10 months in a cell be considered cruel punishment.