Bradley Manning: I want to live as a woman

I thought prison was a punishment not a make demands and have taxpayers pay for them vacation.

I'm confused how this works. Can I go to prison and then demand that I be given millions of dollars because "that's the lifestyle I want to live"? Seems fair to me.

• Like 3

Only in America could 10 months in a cell be considered cruel punishment.

Again you are being too simpleton, google the abuse he had to endure and the extreme type of punishment that even Russia is saying is inhumane.

Also, I am not speaking at ALL about his gender crisis.

Guys, whether or not you think him leaking classified information was good or bad, you simply can't break a law to expose something else.  Yeah that's great that you're trying to be a whistle-blower, but you'll still be punished for the law you broke. This applies to everything across the board.

That's like saying it's okay to kill a guy to prevent him from carrying out his murder plot.  That's wonderful, but you're still going down for murder.

If you had a diary of all your secret thoughts, desires, etc, you'd be pretty pi*sed off if somebody snatched it and exposed it to all your friends.

Just because you think a law is stupid, doesn't mean you can weasel around it in certain circumstances.  And doing this against the people that write the laws is an even dumber idea.

Ah yes, my old friend the "The law says so and we should never question the law" argument. It's funny how those that frequently argue against "big government" usually are the most authoritarian.

Any human being capable of rational thought should question laws that make it legal to act like tyrants but illegal to reveal that truth to anyone else. I think Nazi Germany once made the same mistake.

• Like 3

Ah yes, my old friend the "The law says so and we should never question the law" argument. It's funny how those that frequently argue against "big government" usually are the most authoritarian.

Any human being capable of rational thought should question laws that make it legal to act like tyrants but illegal to reveal that truth to anyone else. I think Nazi Germany once made the same mistake.

What happened here is nothing near comparable to Nazi Germany...  Stupid comparison is stupid.

So what you're saying is that it should be perfectly legal for somebody to steal classified information from the government and hand it over to somebody that will publish it for the world?  Yeah that makes complete sense...

• Like 3

What happened here is nothing near comparable to Nazi Germany...  Stupid comparison is stupid.

So what you're saying is that it should be perfectly legal for somebody to steal classified information from the government and hand it over to somebody that will publish it for the world?  Yeah that makes complete sense...

Who is saying this? I think everyone is saying the same thing, the punishment doesn't fit the crime, especially for someone who was tortured in prison for 10 months while there being no proof that what he leaked actually endangered lives any more than they already were. While everyone who was 'leaked' doing illegal things has absolutely no fear of prosecution.

The act of releasing information which shows illegal activities should be praised more than prosecuted but since the government is just covering their own ass from this fallout....

If said government is lying to the world, breaking international law, and committing atrocities, yes it should.

Again you are being too simpleton, google the abuse he had to endure and the extreme type of punishment that even Russia is saying is inhumane.

Also, I am not speaking at ALL about his gender crisis.

His punishment was too soft considering he betrayed his oath. The military doesn't mess around.

• Like 2

How in the world this relates to autism or asperger?

There are a great many things that TEND (meaning: not always but there is a consistent trend) to be related to those issues.  The include fixations, depression, blah blah blah.

Gender confusion and seeing realignment as part of the solution to the issue is also one such trend.

There are others:  For example a high rate of both hackers and trainspotters are on the autism spectrum.

My ex who was a counselor in this field showed me these things, as a way of helping me accept people with such issues as "normal" and not to be pitied or mocked.

Answer your question?

His punishment was too soft considering he betrayed his oath. The military doesn't mess around.

:/ Really, that's what is important to you, that HE keeps HIS word, and the GOVERNMENTS word doesn't matter at all, they could continue to lie and hide the details while being immune to prosecution? Okay...

The amount of crazy in this thread is too high. 

I agree, too many people are being emotional and not rational at all.

• Like 1

:/ Really, that's what is important to you, that HE keeps HIS word, and the GOVERNMENTS word doesn't matter at all, they could continue to lie and hide the details while being immune to prosecution? Okay...

If I WORK for and take an OATH for the Government, I don't care what they do. He ######ed up, and now he is being called for it. Can't do the time, don't do the crime.

• Like 1

I'd ague the emotional ones are those that do not understand that you are bound by law and punished by it accordingly.  Yep, we have a corrupt government, but so does everyone else (applies to any country).

If people want to throw themselves on the sword to be martyrs, who am I to tell them to stop?  They will still suffer though.  This fairy tale world of equality between government and citizens that some in this thread have dreamt up is pretty amusing.

• Like 1

There seems to be some sort of feeling on Neowin along the lines of "I disagree with the law.  Thus if I break it, and the law is enforced, I am the victim".

Here to tell ya, whether you agree or disagree with the law, that's not how it works.

I'm NOT saying "Don't break the law to protest".  What I am saying is "If you do break the law to protest, you do so knowing the potential outcome".

If there were no punishment, it would be the most hollow protest anyway!

• Like 2

If I WORK for and take an OATH for the Government, I don't care what they do. He ****ed up, and now he is being called for it. Can't do the time, don't do the crime.

Thats great, you completely agree to blindly follow the order of your superiors... that worked out well for some certain armies. Sure I agree her should get punished, but his punishment is way out of line with the good that should be coming from this but since the people who revealed aren't getting punished, it's lose/lose for him, and a win for the bad guys, and in this case I am not talking about terrorists.

I'd ague the emotional ones are those that do not understand that you are bound by law and punished by it accordingly.  Yep, we have a corrupt government, but so does everyone else (applies to any country).

If people want to throw themselves on the sword to be martyrs, who am I to tell them to stop?  They will still suffer though.  This fairy tale world of equality between government and citizens that some in this thread have dreamt up is pretty amusing.

The ones you speak of agree that they should be found guilty in a court of law, while still taking into account all the good that SHOULD be coming from this such as the prosecution of those he revealed to not be so innocent, but thats just way to hard to take in isn't it?

There seems to be some sort of feeling on Neowin along the lines of "I disagree with the law.  Thus if I break it, and the law is enforced, I am the victim".

Here to tell ya, whether you agree or disagree with the law, that's not how it works.

I'm NOT saying "Don't break the law to protest".  What I am saying is "If you do break the law to protest, you do so knowing the potential outcome".

If there were no punishment, it would be the most hollow protest anyway!

Where? Who keeps saying he should be freed with no punishment? Most on here are saying that the punishment didn't fit the crime and that the wrongdoings he unveiled aren't even being considered. He was tortured for 10 months, and should have a shortened sentence because of that, at most 5 years. This is taking into account those that should be held accountable for their illegal actions, but aren't because they are being protected while this one persons life is being destroyed for an action that should be making a government by the people for the people more in line with what the people expect.

Come on people quit being so black and white, this isn't supposed to be win or lose, there is a middle ground here not being taken and it seems like evil is winning and good doesn't even stand a chance.

Thats great, you completely agree to blindly follow the order of your superiors... that worked out well for some certain armies. Sure I agree her should get punished, but his punishment is way out of line with the good that should be coming from this but since the people who revealed aren't getting punished, it's lose/lose for him, and a win for the bad guys, and in this case I am not talking about terrorists.

The ones you speak of agree that they should be found guilty in a court of law, while still taking into account all the good that SHOULD be coming from this such as the prosecution of those he revealed to not be so innocent, but thats just way to hard to take in isn't it?

Where? Who keeps saying he should be freed with no punishment? Most on here are saying that the punishment didn't fit the crime and that the wrongdoings he unveiled aren't even being considered. He was tortured for 10 months, and should have a shortened sentence because of that, at most 5 years. This is taking into account those that should be held accountable for their illegal actions, but aren't because they are being protected while this one persons life is being destroyed for an action that should be making a government by the people for the people more in line with what the people expect.

Come on people quit being so black and white, this isn't supposed to be win or lose, there is a middle ground here not being taken and it seems like evil is winning and good doesn't even stand a chance.

Are you dilusional? Where is evil winning? The big bad wolf the USA is evil? Or this little ass that decided to go against everything he stood for and did what he did. Who cares of no one died, or what they are doing. Unless you decide to try to change things by running for any specific office, nothing you can do but follow the laws. He did'nt, thereofr hes going to prison, case closed.

Are you dilusional? Where is evil winning? The big bad wolf the USA is evil? Or this little ass that decided to go against everything he stood for and did what he did. Who cares of no one died, or what they are doing. Unless you decide to try to change things by running for any specific office, nothing you can do but follow the laws. He did'nt, thereofr hes going to prison, case closed.

Uhh, those people that aren't being prosecuted are winning. Why are you trying to generalise what I am saying, certain PEOPLE need to be prosecuted... He protested, this is the result of it, all I am saying is the punishment didn't fit the crime, and that certain people need to ALSO go to jail... I don't even know where you came up with your conclusions.

Uhh, those people that aren't being prosecuted are winning. Why are you trying to generalise what I am saying, certain PEOPLE need to be prosecuted... He protested, this is the result of it, all I am saying is the punishment didn't fit the crime, and that certain people need to ALSO go to jail... I don't even know where you came up with your conclusions.

Exactly who are those "certain people"?  It would seem that your own emotions are getting in the way of rational thought and comment.  Manning illegally released over 700,00 classified documents, violating the Espionage act and the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act among other violations. Manning was given credit of 1,293 days served, including the 112 days for her treatment at Quantico, and will be eligible for parole after serving one-third of the 35 year sentence. Manning may also be given additional credit for good behavior, and could be released in about eight years. (source Wikipedia)  Some legal experts think Manning may serve even less time.  In the heyday of the cold war Manning may have been found guilty and executed, given the scope of the classified information released I think he's lucky he didn't receive the 60 years the government wanted to give him.

Exactly who are those "certain people"?  It would seem that your own emotions are getting in the way of rational thought and comment.  Manning illegally released over 700,00 classified documents, violating the Espionage act and the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act among other violations. Manning was given credit of 1,293 days served, including the 112 days for her treatment at Quantico, and will be eligible for parole after serving one-third of the 35 year sentence. Manning may also be given additional credit for good behavior, and could be released in about eight years. (source Wikipedia)  Some legal experts think Manning may serve even less time.  In the heyday of the cold war Manning may have been found guilty and executed, given the scope of the classified information released I think he's lucky he didn't receive the 60 years the government wanted to give him.

8 years is actually close enough to what I thought he deserved. I've only read briefly, but I'm assuming the people who made those human rights violations, for starters?

Making it about good and evil?  This isn't He-Man and Skeletor.  Moreover, legally there is no middleground.

Wow people focus too much on words that do not matter, look the point is about 8 years is fair, now it's time for the other bad people to get in trouble. Quit focusing on words and not what they are meant to apply to. :/

Basically evil means the bad people that aren't getting in trouble, and the people that are protecting them. Evil. Get it? Okay, good.

Quit focusing on words...

What a nonsensical thing to say.

Who the hell are you to decide what is fair?  That is what the court was for, and they did.  Fair doesn't come into it - what does come into it is this:

He knew there would be criminal charges if he did this, but he did it anyway.  Thus, he has to accept the outcome.

Now it's the time for other bad people to get into trouble

LOL, you genuinely believe that's the way the world works?

What a nonsensical thing to say.

Who the hell are you to decide what is fair?  That is what the court was for, and they did.  Fair doesn't come into it - what does come into it is this:

He knew there would be criminal charges if he did this, but he did it anyway.  Thus, he has to accept the outcome.

LOL, you genuinely believe that's the way the world works?

I meant look passed the words I've used twice and look at what I actually meant. :/

It's my opinion of fair, and that is what the court gave him, 8 years before parole is considered. That's who decided it, and I agree'd.

I would love for it to work in the way it is supposed to. I guess if you are okay with people literally getting away with murder and torture it should work your way. :/ There is a difference between how it works now and how it should work.