Strange startup issues with Asus board

This has suddenly been happening out of nowhere lately, but basically:

When I turn it on from a cold boot, the machine seems to power up normally, but then it shuts back down before the POST screen comes up. In between, I notice this red light flashing on the board itself near the RAM. But after it does that for a few seconds, the computer reboots itself and starts up normally.

The board is a P8B75-V; recent changes have included the addition of a rear fan and new graphics card. Strangely, Windows 8's hybrid boot also counts this abnormality as an "unexpected shutdown" in the Event Log (it also doesn't do the "quicker" boot after this happens), making me think that something else is up suddenly.

Anyone got ideas?

How old is the board? If a few years could be a CMOS battery issue, a low battery sometimes causes strange issue on boot.

If it was a bad battery, it would say on startup that your BIOS data was reset every time you Post.

That's definitely MemOK LED blinking. In addition to Memtest might want to check what speed your memory is running at when it does boot correctly (CPU-Z will help there). For example, it might have been failing to boot with XMP and reverts to 1333.

I only bought the board last December (its an Ivy Bridge board)

I also had some more dire developments; sometimes the computer starts normally (no double-posts), but the video card runs at full blast and displays nothing. Then, I had an instance of the same problem but with MULTIPLE start > fail > reboots like that.

If it was a bad battery, it would say on startup that your BIOS data was reset every time you Post.

Not always true if the battery is right on the edge it will give strange errors, I have seen this issue a number of times. If it is below a certian level you are correct.

I have an ASUS board and this also happened to me. Might be something related only to ASUS, as I dont remember what MB were in the other 2 PC I fixed this way. 

Have seen the same issue before and had a similar issue yesterday morning - replaced CMOS battery to fix.

The one yesterday lost the UEFI Windows Boot Loader as well, adding extra hilarity.