Battlefield 4 to run at 720p and 60fps. Cool wit me

It does frustrate me somewhat.

The last genetration of "HD consoles" ran most games at 640p and upscaled them to 1080p.

This generation will presumably run most at 720p and upscale to 1080p

Will it take until the next generation of consoles before the majority of games will run natively at 1080p or higher? This would be a long time after the HD specifications were released, and it just seems cheeky to call consoles from as early as 2005 "HD gaming ready".

Most high end PCs will run it at 1080p. It's rather sad that "next gen" consoles are barely better than the previous gen

Most high end PCs will run it at 1080p. It's rather sad that "next gen" consoles are barely better than the previous gen

Hell to me I don't even think they should of released a new gen yet. 

With the rate hardware is advancing you're probably right. To me, it's just nonsensical calling something next gen when it's not much better than current gen

• Like 1

That's the thing, the hardware is much more powerful yet they've only gone from 640p to 720p.

I'm sure the games will look better and run smoother, but I'd rather 1080p @ 60 FPS with slightly less detail than 720p @ 60 FPS at full detail - even though I probably wouldn't tell the difference :D

With the rate hardware is advancing you're probably right. To me, it's just nonsensical calling something next gen when it's not much better than current gen

Which is the reason im not in a hurry to buy a next gen console. 

I've always preferred PCs anyway. I brought all this hardware (except the SSD and Monitor) in 2011 and it still runs 1080p at playable framerates

I've always preferred PCs anyway. I brought all this hardware (except the SSD and Monitor) in 2011 and it still runs 1080p at playable framerates

Your 2011 hardware may not run Battlefield 4 at 720p at 60 FPS, we'll have to see when it's out.

Because, for all too many of us, we have no wish to spend the money upgrading everything?

All those games that are going to be on the PS4/XB ONE will (for the most part) also be on the current-generation PS3 and/or XB360 - that means, strictly from the console side of things, two different sets of specs.  The developer will likely target the lower set of specs and rely on up-rezzing to make up the difference (which was the case with PS3/XB360).  A LOT of folks will simply skip the upgrade cycle altogether (cost/price).

For the PC side, it's a lot easier, and has been for a while; however, the resistance even there has been greater - or have we forgotten Crysis 3 already?  For all those willing to spend money getting the latest/greatest hardware (whether console OR PC) there are lots of others that refuse to move whatsoever.

Finally, it's proving out that you don't need a high-end PC (except when it comes to portables) to run BF4 capably; a quad-core CPU (and almost any of them) along with GTX 660 or better/HD7850 or better will do nicely.

Likely true, King - and for the same reasons why the desktop PC market has been flat; cost/price.

That really really blows.     The article only says Playstation,  if Xbox is the same way. I will completely skip it and get it for PC.   I can play BF 3 on ultra currently.  Maybe i'll get a new card.   I have 1080, I want it to play 1080, not upscaled,  native.   

I'd imagine within a year or so we see more 1080p games @ 60fps, launch titles usually start off with the "growing pains" but I'll wait and see what other developers are able to pull off.

• Like 3

I just have a sneaking suspicion that Sony and Microsoft were in too huge of rush to get their next-gens released that the overall quality won't be as good as it should have been.  And that also is leading to game developers having a tough time getting the performance they were hoping for.

I'm kind of expecting some sort of huge flaw (lagging, freezing, overheating, etc) to show it's face when these are released, and for that reason, I think I'm going to hold off on buying a launch day console.

• Like 3

May I offer a thought - and feel free to dismiss it if it is nonsense, and I will gladly offer that I know little on this:

Is 720p upscaled to 1080p being chosen as a "sweet spot" so that is can be downscaled to SD sizes better than downscaling the gaming, interface & text from a 1080 render would be?

May I offer a thought - and feel free to dismiss it if it is nonsense, and I will gladly offer that I know little on this:

Is 720p upscaled to 1080p being chosen as a "sweet spot" so that is can be downscaled to SD sizes better than downscaling the gaming, interface & text from a 1080 render would be?

They better not be sacrificing anything in these new consoles in order to work with SD. SD is dead and has been for several years. No way can there be a significant customer base left who are going to buy $400-$500 consoles who are still using a 480i display.

They better not be sacrificing anything in these new consoles in order to work with SD. SD is dead and has been for several years. No way can there be a significant customer base left who are going to buy $400-$500 consoles who are still using a 480i display.

Lol

• Like 1

I believe they'd have two UI rendering pipelines, one SD and one HD. UI scaling shouldn't be too difficult of a job.