Ballmer to Retire

I'm hopeful Microsoft will get its act together.

I suspect they may in time, but it is going to take some time. Major corporations move slowly and I figure we'll be several CEO's down the road before they get things straightened out.

Retirement, retirement, retirement, retirement, retirement, retirement,

retirement, retirement, retirement, retirement, retirement, retirement, retirement, retirement .... yes! 

Well, I started to write a response but I'm sure we could both discuss this all day and we're already going off topic. It all comes down to, as always, using whatever works best for you. I was a long time iTunes user that hasn't used it for the last couple of years because I don't like it as much as the alternatives anymore. If you like it, then there's nothing wrong with it.

AJerman, that is the point I have been, in fact, been TRYING to make since the Developer Preview of Windows 8.

I have, in point of fact, been pointing out that the choice of what sort of applications to use - Win32, Win64, or ModernUI - is up to the user (and the developer).  Not Microsoft.  Naturally, there is no real choice if a developer only makes applications or apps for one choice - however, that is not Microsoft's fault.  (It's not the user's fault, either.)

Number of my Windows 7 applications and games that have failed to migrate to Windows 8 OR Windows 8.1 Preview - zero.  That's right - every application and game that Ii ran in Windows 7 that was NOT mooted by an OS-included feature I still use in Windows 8.1 Preview today - without exception.  (Virtual Clone Drive doesn't count for the understandable and sensible reason that it WAS mooted by a now-included OS feature - disc-image mounting.  Diskeeper?  Mooted by Disk Optimizer - I mentioned this in another thread.)

Are there Windows Vista or 7-based features that I use more in Windows 8 or 8.1?  Yes - Quick Launch in particular is one I use a lot more than I did in Windows 7 OR Vista; however, Taskbar pinning AND the SuperBar (both of which also carry over) are second and third, respectively.

Missing feature I wish for?  One missing feature I still wish for - a PowerShell CLI prompt from QuickTask.  (Server 2012R2 DOES have that feature from its version of QuickTask, as does Server 2012 itself - both have the feature in the Explorer ribbon; however, Windows 8 and 8.1 both lack it in QuickTask, while both include it in the Explorer ribbon.)  That really makes no sense, especially since PowerShell is a scripting language across both client and server versions of Windows alike.