What's wrong with my MBP?

My MBP is 3 years and 2 months old (out of warranty). From last few days, I have been having a problem i.e. laptop doesn't start when i press the power button. When I press the power button, it makes a funny noise (not a beep) as if its trying to start but then it doesn't. There are times when the power button works fine and the laptop boots properly. When i close the lid of the laptop instead of the laptop going in the sleep mode, it somehow hibernates and saves the state because after opening the lid, the laptop doesn't start anymore. I need to press the power button which may or may not the start the laptop.

I have tried resetting the SMC but nothing happened. I don't know if its the logic board or something else. I plan to take the laptop to Apple care but would like to know before hand whats happening with the laptop.

Please help.

Thx 

When it does boot up is there any information regarding the battery - how old is the batter? how many cycles has it gone through? when you clock on the battery icon is there a message about changing it?

I suspect the battery as well...

I've always been happy with my Apple Store out-of-warranty repairs.  They are really fast and pretty affordable.  For stuff like upgrading RAM or replacing a hard drive, sure...probably cheaper to just figure it out on your own (but time IS money).

For bizarre behavior like this I would just take it in to an Apple Store to get looked at.  They will tell you what they think is wrong and how much it will cost to fix.

Battery is top notch! I got it replaced about 15 months back. Here are the stats:

Health Information:

Cycle Count: 335

Condition: Normal