Network speed abnormal..what is the Bottle nick?

Go to solution Solved by BudMan,

Question

medhunter
I think my network is not speed enough and there is no Wireless N functionality.

I have recently purchased  ADSL Belkin (model: 300, I think) single band router.I have this Laptop

Another Dell (My 2ry) and a wired desktop.

I get low speeds about 10-20 MBits/s in wireless mode.I don't know where is the bottle nick.May be the pics give a clue.

The router is in the 3rd floor, My HP is in 2nd floor.I don't get coverage in the ground, soI may purchase an acess point to extend the coverage.

Any Clue/More info?

post-395918-0-23638800-1377589421.png

post-395918-0-35884000-1377589443.png

post-395918-0-83182400-1377589453.png

10 answers to this question

+BudMan

Do you have B devices? Turn that OFF, set it to N mode only if you only have N.. If you have G then set to g only in that last screen.

Your going to want to use 40Mhz for max speed of n.

But what are your router settings?? You also quite often need to be using WPA2 for n speeds.. But shows your connected over 54 so think you need to turn on 40mhz channels and disable any B sort of connections, if all you have is n clients -- then turn off both g and b type connections.

AsherGZ

What's a Bottle nick?

• Like 1
Roger H.

The Intel 1030 is a 1x2 device so the most your link rate can be is 144Mbps in a perfect world in 20Mhz.

With that said you should be getting 50-60Mbps though from it in an average setting. Do you only get these speeds when copying files over to your WIRED PC as well as Internet downloads?

medhunter

Do you have B devices? Turn that OFF, set it to N mode only if you only have N.. If you have G then set to g only in that last screen.

Your going to want to use 40Mhz for max speed of n.

But what are your router settings?? You also quite often need to be using WPA2 for n speeds.. But shows your connected over 54 so think you need to turn on 40mhz channels and disable any B sort of connections, if all you have is n clients -- then turn off both g and b type connections.

No B devices.Just these two laptops and both are N. devices

Router was set to 20/40 option. other option is 20 only

As for mode: it was b,g,n mode.I changed that to 802.11n  mode only

Regarding WAP2: authentication mode is set to WAP-PSK+ WPA2PSK.There is another choice with WPA2+PSK only,Should I

choose the later one?

WPS : is enabled

Regarding channels: it is auto

any more recommendation?

What's a Bottle nick?

speed Limiting factor, just like the nick of the bottle that is limiting the flow from a bottle

medhunter

The Intel 1030 is a 1x2 device so the most your link rate can be is 144Mbps in a perfect world in 20Mhz.

what do u mean with (The Intel 1030 is a 1x2 device )?Is it a combo + BT

With that said you should be getting 50-60Mbps though from it in an average setting.I am getting around 35MB/s

Do you only get these speeds when copying files over to your WIRED PC as well as Internet downloads?

Yep

+BudMan

WPS should be disabled - this is a security issue!!!

WPA2 should be the only mode unless you have OLD devices that do not understand wpa2

20/40 - if you do not have any other wireless devices in your area, then 40 can provide better speeds and performance. If you have other wireless in the area then 20 might be better choice because of less overlap. If there are other wireless networks in the area you want to be setup for the least amount of overlap in your channels.

I have found auto channels to be crap.. I would grab say http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ and make sure you run your wireless network where there is LEAST overlap.

medhunter

WPS should be disabled - this is a security issue!!!

Done

WPA2 should be the only mode unless you have OLD devices that do not understand wpa2

WPA2 is the only one now.No none-WPA2 compliant devices

20/40 - if you do not have any other wireless devices in your area, then 40 can provide better speeds and performance. If you have other wireless in the area then 20 might be better choice because of less overlap. If there are other wireless networks in the area you want to be setup for the least amount of overlap in your channels.

20/40 is the option now.

Regarding channels: I am looking into this program.
medhunter
JUst curious,Why is there is no Wireless n mode?

EDIT: inSSIDer tells me that it is already in N mode

post-395918-0-83182400-1377589453.png

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Barney T.
      This topic is for the placement of links to how-to articles, tips, FAQs, or helpful information related to internet, network, and security. Please post links to the actual articles.

Internet Basics

Test Your connection speed! Alternate connection speed test  

Networking Basics

What is a good network configuration?  

Security Basics

http://www.us-cert.gov/ http://osvdb.org/ http://www.sans.org/ http://nvd.nist.gov/ http://cve.mitre.org/  
             Security Tools

http://nmap.org/ http://www.tenable.com/products/nessus http://ettercap.github.io/ettercap/ http://www.wireshark.org/          Security Tools for basic users:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/security/cc184924.aspx http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39273  

FAQ's
    • By EVJOHN
      Having just moved house, I noticed the wifi in my study was patchy. I therefore invested in a TP Link Powerline (TL-WPA4220) to run from my router to my study.

It works perfectly on all my personal devices (Windows, Apple, Android etc) with them all getting the full wifi speeds promised by my ISP (Vodafone), both over wifi and ethernet. 

The main reason I installed this, however, was for a fast reliable connection to my work computer. But whether via wifi or ethernet I'm getting much slower speeds on my work laptop than my personal devices connected to the same powerline - even slower than before I installed it when I was working at the far edge of my router's range. I'll be getting 70mbps download and 25mbps upload speeds on my personal devices and 2mbps download and 5mbps upload on my work computer.

I called my work IT, they suggested my ISP was throttling my use (when testing the connection on my work laptop we found that when I connected to my ISPs network / server the speed was as expected, but any other server was very slugglish, which led them to think this).

I contacted by ISP who insist they're not throttling my use and it must be something to do with my employer's IT policy. They did give me a static IP address suggesting this might help (but it hasn't).

Any ideas why this might be happening?My main suspicoion is that it's something to do with the VPN on my work laptop (zscaler), although when I tried installing a VPN on my own persional laptop it had no effect on speeds. How could my laptop / VPN even recognise that my internet is coming from a different source? Are there any known issues with powerlines accessing secure VPN networks?

I'm being bounced around to different people none of whom have a clue, so any advice would be gratefully received!
    • By sikhwarrior
      Hi all, as the title suggests I am getting awful internet speeds while using my powerline adapters. I have been quoted upto 500Mbps and when I do a speedtest from the router, I get around 450Mbps ish.  When I use my computer which is upstairs over the powerline, I hit roughly 20-40Mbps. Wireless I get a bit better around 200ish depending on the device. The reason why I want to use wired, is because there are too many devices on wifi and I would like to use a lot more bandwidth while streaming or gaming. 

My question is, what could be the cause of this? I have tried different plugs and cables but no change.  Any suggestions on what else I could try? The powerline adapters that I am using are TP-link  model number:TP-PA511

• By dipsylalapo
      Hey everyone, 

I haven't touched my network setup in a long time as it's been working with no issues for months. 

Over the last week or so, I've noticed that some devices struggle to stay connected to the network. At the moment, there's a Kindle and a desktop that are struggling to stay connected. 

I've no idea where to start looking into this so any pointers would be great!

I have a USG, two Unifi APs (Lite) and a D-Link switch (DGS-1100-08P).
    • By News Staff
      Get the Ultimate Cybersecurity Certification Bundle for only $39.99
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deal comes via our Online Courses section of the Neowin Deals store, where you can save 52% off the Ultimate Cybersecurity Certification Bundle. Your 28-hour roadmap as an ultimate security professional — Master network monitoring, PenTesting, and routing techniques and vulnerabilities.

What's the deal?
      This deal consists of the following courses:

Parsing TCP Socket Data with C/C++
      Understand Socket Programming & Build Apps in Your Network or Internet Introduction of C++ Sockets
      Learn the Most Fundamental & Practical IT Communications & Develop Your Own Socket Apps How Hackers Find SQL Injections in Minutes with Sqlmap
      Effectively Detect & Exploit SQL Injection Vulnerabilities — Ideal for Penetration Testers, Ethical Hackers, Bug Hunters, and More How Web Hackers Make Big Money: Remote Code Execution
      Become a Succesful RCE Hunter with 1-Hour Crash Course from Top Hacker Dawid Czagan Double Your Web Hacking Rewards with Fuzzing
      Learn the Vulnerability Detection Technique Used by Many Successful Hackers & Make Money in Bug Bounty Programs Practical Blockchain & Smart Contracts: Ethereum and Solidity
      Implement Blockchain in Your Software Projects & Upcoming Project Ideas CCNP Routing & Switching ROUTE300-101
      Join the Professional World of Cisco Systems & Gain a Higher Level of Routing Competence Setting up Nagios 4 Monitoring
      Set Up a Monitoring Console Showing the Health of Multiple Remote Servers The Ethical Hacking MasterClass
      Perform Advanced Penetration Testing, Exploit Vulnerable Systems & Patch Them Good to know
      Length of access: lifetime Certification of completion included Redemption deadline: redeem your code within 30 days of purchase For full descriptions, terms, and instructor info please click here.

What's the benefit?
      This Ultimate Cybersecurity Certification Bundle normally costs $84.91 but it can be yours for just $39.99 for a limited time, that's a saving of $44.92 (54%) off!

>> Get this deal, or learn more about it <<
      See all Online Courses on offer, This is a time-limited deal, ending soon!
      Get $1 credit for every $25 spent · Give $10, Get $10 · 10% off for first-time buyers.

Not for you?
      If this offer doesn't interest you, why not check out the following offers:

The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 256GB Giveaway 20% off Ivacy VPN subscription with coupon code IVACY20 NordVPN subscription at up to 70% off Private Internet Access VPN subscription at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Disable Sponsored posts · Other recent deals · Preferred partner software

Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs.