Google drops Nexus 4 price, now starts at $199

Google drops Nexus 4 price, now starts at $199

The Nexus 4 just got a lot cheaper. The flagship phone of Google's Nexus line is now available for a full $100 less than it was just hours ago. The 8GB model is on sale through the Google Play Store for $199, while the 16GB model is $249. There's no mention of a newer Nexus smartphone, but the Nexus line itself is certainly due for some sort of update. When the Nexus 4 was introduced last year it was already lacking in one major way ? LTE connectivity ? and since its introduction the Android ecosystem has continued to churn out multiple competitors. Not only that, but the Nexus 4 isn't the only way to get the stock Android experience at this point, either; the "Google Play" editions of the Samsung Galaxy S4 and HTC One provide something very close to the same software, albeit at much higher prices.

This cut puts the Nexus 4 in the same price range as phones subsidized by carrier contracts, making it a much more appealing option on paper. Whether that will be enough to steer customers towards the LG-built device rather than newer devices like the Moto X, however remains to be seen. Google declined to comment on the reason for the price cut.

Google says that the price drop applies in Australia, Canada, France Germany, Spain, Korea, US, and the UK, and the price drop is at least 25 percent off in all of those countries.

Javascript is not enabled or refresh the page to view.

Click here to view the Tweet

Source: The Verge

• 2 weeks later...

Don't do it.  This phone is so buggy - I am on the second phone and this one has the same problems as the first: Wifi connection issues (will not connect to my home or work wifi) that have not been resolved by google; I tried to root it today so I could flash a zip through recovery, but there are no drivers for it that my laptop sees as compatible!  I have a device that completely relies on having everything backed up to my google account, but if it won't connect to wifi, how can I back it up?  I live in Canada, so no unlimited service.  I am ready to throw the thing through the window! Worst of all, Google has done nothing to remedy this situation.  I read an article on here todayabout how the 4.3 update bricked some phones and many commenters were quick to blame people who had been impatient or who had rooted their phones. My phone is unrootable, and didn't work before the 4.3 update either.  It is going back tomorrow.  Galaxy s4 here I come.  You shouldn't have to put so much time and energy into trying to make your phone work.  I shouldn't have to be a developer to use a stupid cell phone!

To bad he terrible camera makes pretty much all the nexus line worthless anyway. Even if you just take the occasional picture, there are better alternatives.

To bad he terrible camera makes pretty much all the nexus line worthless anyway. Even if you just take the occasional picture, there are better alternatives.

So the entire Nexus line is judged solely on their suitability as a camera? I would say their merits in other departments more than makes up for their poor cameras.

So the entire Nexus line is judged solely on their suitability as a camera? I would say their merits in other departments more than makes up for their poor cameras.

Not solely. But a smartphone today is a multi function device. That means each function needs to meet a minimum standard for the device to be acceptable.

The camera is so terrible it doesn't meet the minimum requirement for a smart phone today. Not for a camera. If you want a good camera phone, then you're a lot more limited. I'm talking just for talking a few pictures here and there like every dumb and smart phone user does. There old Nokia flip phones with better camera than the nexus.

And what other merits does it have that the regular user cares about ? All the merits of the nexus is things only geeks care about. People who also generally want stuff like a decent camera more than the average person. Even then. The ability to install the latest "clean" android OS isn't that gig of a merit anyway. And since those that actually care about that are geeks, they can do the same on pretty much every other android phone anyway.

Meaning they can cen a phone that is overall better in every way than the nexus, for the same or lower price.

Wouldn't spend that much, even if it is a $100 cheaper now, on a stupid phone in a million years! I have a life and don't need anything like that! Spent more than I'd really prefer to on my current phone that works absolutely perfectly, $79. :)

Not solely. But a smartphone today is a multi function device. That means each function needs to meet a minimum standard for the device to be acceptable.

The camera is so terrible it doesn't meet the minimum requirement for a smart phone today. Not for a camera. If you want a good camera phone, then you're a lot more limited. I'm talking just for talking a few pictures here and there like every dumb and smart phone user does. There old Nokia flip phones with better camera than the nexus.

And what other merits does it have that the regular user cares about ? All the merits of the nexus is things only geeks care about. People who also generally want stuff like a decent camera more than the average person. Even then. The ability to install the latest "clean" android OS isn't that gig of a merit anyway. And since those that actually care about that are geeks, they can do the same on pretty much every other android phone anyway.

Meaning they can cen a phone that is overall better in every way than the nexus, for the same or lower price.

Nexus phones are marketed mainly at developers, they aren't really being pushed into the mainstream. Cutbacks are made in areas that aren't so important for developers to keep the phones at a reasonable cost.

Nexus phones are marketed mainly at developers, they aren't really being pushed into the mainstream. Cutbacks are made in areas that aren't so important for developers to keep the phones at a reasonable cost.

As a developer, I would prefer my developer phone to be good in all areas so I didn't need to have a regular use phone in addition. 

As a developer, I would prefer my developer phone to be good in all areas so I didn't need to have a regular use phone in addition. 

So as a developer you often work on coding projects that really require your phone to take camera quality snaps?

You did not get the memo ?

These days the camera is more important tha the actual phone communication capabilities.

So as a developer you often work on coding projects that really require your phone to take camera quality snaps?

Who said anything about camera quality anyway ? 

but developers need good cameras just as much as anyone, especially if they're developing camera apps or apps that use cameras. 

You did not get the memo ?

These days the camera is more important tha the actual phone communication capabilities.

It's a smart phone. not a dumb phone or feature phone. it needs to do several things to satisfactory quality

- call

- sms

- surf

- camera

- music

None of these are really more important than the other, they're all important and need to be of a satisfactory quality.  if one of them isn't then you're better off finding another phone where the part that isn't of satisfactory quality is as well as the other functions. 

If you don't find the Nexus 4's camera satisfactory then fine don't buy it. But for $199/$249, some people find this phone is just fine. Its not like this is meant to be a high-end phone anyways.

Who said anything about camera quality anyway ? 

but developers need good cameras just as much as anyone, especially if they're developing camera apps or apps that use cameras. 

Why? As long as the phone has a camera, you have a yardstick to tell you whether your camera app works properly.