Should I call the FBI ...

Just a word of warning but some unsecured access points are set up as "honey pots" - we have one around here which is posing as an unsecured BT-HomeHub3 or Netgear at different times of the day (Same MAC address).

Just a word of warning but some unsecured access points are set up as "honey pots" - we have one around here which is posing as an unsecured BT-HomeHub3 or Netgear at different times of the day (Same MAC address).

What is the point of this 'honey pot' ?

Hum, on 31 Aug 2013 - 01:26, said:Hum, on 31 Aug 2013 - 01:26, said:Hum, on 31 Aug 2013 - 01:26, said:

What is the point of this 'honey pot' ?

You connect to it, they gather information from your connection request, port scan, targeted vulnerability scan & try to deploy payloads to your machine e.g. launch your web browser to "authenticate" which is typical of Public WiFi access.

Some are more passive e.g. hijack DNS - serve what appears to be an internet connection but also serve targeted browser exploits and key log all info.

You connect to it, they gather information from your connection request, port scan, targeted vulnerability scan & try to deploy payloads to your machine e.g. launch your web browser to "authenticate" which is typical of Public WiFi access.

Some are more passive e.g. hijack DNS - serve what appears to be an internet connection but also serve targeted browser exploits and key log all info.

They wouldn't get much from me.

So far, I have never had a problem with open wi-fi.

;) This is what comes up most every time you try to get on a supposedly unsecured network:

That isn't a password...

There is a difference between needing the name (SSID) or password (WEP/WPA/WPA2/etc)

yep, they can just sniff your traffic. log into a site not using https,and if your username, password gets sent in cleartext (cough*), then the perp can try to log into your email, can steal some secret stuff, bank info,steal naked pictures :) ...

That isn't a password...

There is a difference between needing the name (SSID) or password (WEP/WPA/WPA2/etc)

What they want is some combo like 1F:5B:0U:2J:N9:H8

Just a made up example.

My ext. wifi antenna/software can pick this code up.