Nintendo Announces 2DS

Nintendo Announces 2DS

Entry-level handheld plays all DS and 3DS games and features a slate design but no 3D.

Nintendo announced the 2DS today, a new entry-level handheld system. The 2DS will be available for $129.99 on October 12th (the same day as Pokemon X and Y) and features a slate-like design rather than the clamshell seen on DS and 3DS models.

The 2DS is fully compatible with all 3DS and DS games but does not include the ability to display games in 3D. It still features all the functionality of 3DS (WiFi, local multiplayer, etc.) and can be put to sleep using a slider that replicates closing the clamshell on a standard 3DS. WiFi can still be turned off, though it?s done via controls in the software rather than with a physical switch.

2ds-610x486.jpg

?Imagine a standard 3DS laid all the way flat, and with the depth slider all the way down,? Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime explained to IGN. ?Everything else is there in the system.?

The 2DS will launch in red and blue models to start and will be sold alongside the standard 3DS (still available for $169.99) and 3DS XL ($199.99). It will include a 4GB SD card and uses the same power source as 3DS and DSi. It also includes two cameras on the back side, so AR games still function and players can still take 3D photos -- they simply can?t be displayed on the 2DS, but are still viewable in full 3D if transferred to 3DS. The 2DS only includes one speaker, which plays mono sound, but features full stereo via its headphone jack.

According to Fils-Aime, the idea for the 2DS came from wanting to appeal to younger consumers, as the standard 3DS is aimed at players age seven and up.

?We?re always thinking about what we can do that?s new, unique, different, and brings more people into this category that we love,? Fils-Aime said. ?And so with the Nintendo 3DS, we were clear to parents that, ?hey, we recommend that your children be seven and older to utilize this device.? So clearly that creates an opportunity for five-year-olds, six-year-olds, that first-time handheld gaming consumer."

"We?ve always been thinking about, 'how do we approach that as one target?'" he continued. "And that certainly helped spur the idea of the Nintendo 2DS. Let?s have the consumer have access to all of these great games ? Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing ? but do it in a 2D capability with a device that has a dramatically lower price point. That?s just an example of how we?re always thinking about, ?how do we get more people playing games? How do we get more people playing Nintendo games???

Keep checking back to IGN for more on the 2DS as we approach its October launch.

Source: IGN

Hmm, seems like a low-cost alternative for Pok?mon fans; should be $99 though, $129 is too close to the 3DS's $169 to justify this IMO.

Agreed on the price point!

That is one ugly device. However, since my wife for her 3ds she has only once played with he 3D on.

What an ugly bit of kit.

Great idea though. Don't understand why they removed the clamshell design.

Does a hinge really cost that much?

I very rarely play my 3DS with the 3D on. None of the games really benefit from it.

That is one ugly device. However, since my wife for her 3ds she has only once played with he 3D on.

Yea, I see it's being targeted at really young kids so i get the design, but.. damn, that's ugly. I wouldn't mind seeing a cheaper model for the rest of us, I toy with my daughter's 3DS occasionally, don't really ever use the 3D bits either so never had the urge to get one for myself yet. Has to have a hinge though, definitely not a fan of this new design.

Great idea though. Don't understand why they removed the clamshell design.

I think because this is aimed at younger users - the clamshell was a weak spot - as they weren't as careful as adults maybe?

I think because this is aimed at younger users - the clamshell was a weak spot - as they weren't as careful as adults maybe?

Can definitely agree with that, when my daughter was younger and had the original DS, that thing took a lot of abuse. She's a bit older and more responsible now with her 3DS but on that old one I'm surprised the two halves are still attached.

Have to say I agree with you guys, $99 would make more sense. $129 I may as well spend the extra bit to get the extra features and (opinion incoming) far better design and look.

• Like 1

Definitely, especially since it's recommended 7+ due to the 3D feature. If a parent can buy their child the same console that plays the same games, without the 3D for a reasonable amount cheaper, they will.

That actually sounds interesting, I couldn't really use the 3D effects because it made me a little ill, but this I can definitely use, especially for that new Zelda game coming out soon, although I agree with the majority of people here that $129 is way too close to the 3DS price point, for the price of another game one can get the full experience. It really should be $99.

• Like 1

How is it meant to fit in your pocket? Handheld are meant to be portable.

It's aimed at a much younger audience.  They tend not to put things in their pockets.

Nik Louch, on 28 Aug 2013 - 18:50, said:

It's aimed at a much younger audience.  They tend not to put things in their pockets.

It might be aimed at but it's not going to last in the hands of a younger audience with that design. Even the high end Leappads have rubber cases included and durable sides

It might be aimed at but it's not going to last in the hands of a younger audience with that design. Even the high end Leappads have rubber cases included and durable sides

Leappads are aimed at 3-8, 2DS is most likely aimed at 6-12