How many times I can re-install Windows 8 using my Key?

hey guys,

Just wondering if there is any limit on how many times I can re-install Windows 8/ 8.1 using my legit key on SAME PC?

thanks

To my knowledge, indefinitely. But if your motherboard or HD changes (cloning anyway that I know of) you will have to reactivate. It will ask how many computers you have installed this licenses on, and you have to say 1. MS will then deactivate previous activations. That's been my/our experience anyway.

To my knowledge, indefinitely. But if your motherboard or HD changes (cloning anyway that I know of) you will have to reactivate. It will ask how many computers you have installed this licenses on, and you have to say 1. MS will then deactivate previous activations. That's been my/our experience anyway.

Activation doesn't ask anything unless you're talking to a rep on the phone.

hey guys,

Just wondering if there is any limit on how many times I can re-install Windows 8/ 8.1 using my legit key on SAME PC?

thanks

Depends on the type of laptop or PC ... the key is stored in BIOS or whatever... after first installation, it gets stored in it... then you need to re-install, you won't be asked to re-enter the key again.

Unless you have the hardware changes, you might have to call MS for replacement key if your installation won't take your original key.

Activation doesn't ask anything unless you're talking to a rep on the phone.

Yeah, I forgot the part about you having to call in to the automated system if your mobo or HD changes and you have to reactivate. The automated system will ask you. If you say anything other than 1 (one), it will tell you that your license agreement only allows .... and disconnect.

If this does happen (and it will if you get new mobo or HD and clone), the quickest way to reactivate is to run slui.exe 4 and call the toll-free automated line.

So long as it's the same version on the same machine, as many times as you want.

This only applies to an OEM license. A retail license can be installed wherever however many times but only ever once at a time.

Depends on the type of laptop or PC ... the key is stored in BIOS or whatever... after first installation, it gets stored in it... then you need to re-install, you won't be asked to re-enter the key again.

What? No... Your product key is not stored in BIOS... And you will be asked for it every time you install Windows unless you have a custom OEM disc provided by Dell, HP, etc.

What? No... Your product key is not stored in BIOS... And you will be asked for it every time you install Windows unless you have a custom OEM disc provided by Dell, HP, etc.

It is actually stored in BIOS. I don't need to enter any key if I am installing Windows 8 Core. Its installed and activated automatically. However, If I am installing Win 8.1 RTM then I have to enter it manually....

This only applies to an OEM license. A retail license can be installed wherever however many times but only ever once at a time.

Not on my end... It didn't ask me to enter the key...  because the key is already in the BIOS...

Plus, my installation isn't OEM. 

Like I said "Depends on the type of PC/laptop" ...   which means not all PCs and laptops are same ... 

You jumped in too fast without reading the posts.