Microsoft buys Nokia devices and services

My point is that OEMs now start seriously think whether it's worth to them trying to compete Microsoft. They have already been cautious whether Windows Phone becomes successfull or not and if it's wise to do any phones on that platform. There is a chance that their mobile platform and tablets never takes wind, to make Windows Phene successfull they would be better with multiple OEM vendors. Microsoft hasn't ever been successfull on hardware market except for xbox so this was a risky move.

There is high chances that this 7bn investment is worth nothing in couple of years.

I love W8 and and Windows Phone, I just think that they made a bad decision.

Well what about the Google/Moto deal? Samsung is still doing just fine against that. Though didn't Google merge with Moto to try to boost their sales against Samsung? 

Honestly though I don't see this as a bad thing with or with out OEMs. Its not like Samsung or HTC are really trying hard with putting new Windows Phones out anyways. 

Everyone is acting like this is a game changer but I don't see things changing that much. 85% of Windows phones sold was sold by Nokia. I think this just means that Samsung and HTC will now drop out.

Brand power is a big thing. Nokias wall street value went up 35% due to this deal.

anyway, it will still be the same people making the phones....ita not as if msft has bought Nokia ro fire all the people who have made Nokia what it is today. I see this as a good thing.

and besides, the current vp of msfts device and services division will be answering to elop now before he even gets the ceo position.

looking forward to seeing what's next.

Everyone is acting like this is a game changer but I don't see things changing that much. 85% of Windows phones sold was sold by Nokia. I think this just means that Samsung and HTC will now drop out.

Pretty much.  And others may drop out of WP, which will leave the Nokia as the only source for WP devices.  Which is fine and works for Apple.  But MS has been slow going and Samsung and others will just focus more on Android.  MS had a close partnership with Nokia and never really did much to make others want to contribute.

Pretty much.  And others may drop out of WP, which will leave the Nokia as the only source for WP devices.  Which is fine and works for Apple.  But MS has been slow going and Samsung and others will just focus more on Android.  MS had a close partnership with Nokia and never really did much to make others want to contribute.

I don't know what more MS could do besides let them go crazy on it like they did with Windows Mobile and we see how that turned out.    Now though, by MS buying Nokia, well, the hardware part and the patents that go with it, some 8500 of them.  They can offer OEMs access to them at no additional cost where Nokia never would have in the first place.

That aside, bringing over the Nokia team behind the lumia itself into MS and letting them run WP fully,  because we're talking hardware and software people here, they can help boost the WP OS team, something I bet wasn't that big and it also adds MS big bucks behind the hardware side to boost production.  Let's face it, Nokia had money but not enough to actually pump out volume to the degree that they needed to, or at the price they needed to.  MS inject that needed cash, also take more of a hit on the margins to get cheaper Lumias out and at higher volumes than we've seen.

No more of these slow rollouts of devices to other markets.  Look at the 1020 for example, it's not going to be sold in some key markets until November or even later.   With MS $$ behind it though that could ramp up big, as long as they execute.

Many may drop out, but they don't have to. ALl they have to do is put the time, resources, and energy into developing a phone, and actually supporting it with new or unique features to compete. However, many OEMs are just keen on flooding the market with no name devices in the hopes that one will stick to the wall. They're taking the easy way out with cheap hardware, and little features. Yet, they blame everyone else for their failures.