PS4 owners may get Gigabit broadband from Virgin broadband

... 30Mega Bytes (MB) would be would be 240 Mb (mega bit)..... I'm not even gonna go over all the other mistakes you made, as you've already been ripped apart enough here

I actually edited that post to MB because I got confused in my own arguing. Saying I've got ripped to shreds when I said explicitly a byte does not equal a bit fails logic. Other than the edit which was wrong, there's no other incorrect statements other than the rough maths working in base 10 due to me walking around town.

Go figure.

Gbit (1024Mbps) internet connection equals to 100mbps 128MBps. What if I told you one link from Manchester to London for one ISP is over 120Gbps?

So on my 30MB 30Mb connection at home I get 30mbps 30Mbps? No Yes, which equals to I get 3mbps 3MBps max (actually 3.75MBps max).

Gigabit <> Gigabyte

Gosh, you're more confused than you realise.

This^

<snip> I didn't want to play this card but I have a BsC in Computer Networks and I've worked at the top ISP's in the UK </snip>

Lol

You said I can get 1000 MEGABYTES on a 1GIGABIT connection. Thats 10GIGABITS. Well estimates, because you work in 8's.

Seriously dude?

/Facepalm

124Megabytes per second equals 12 Gigabits

124Megabits per second equals 1 Gigabit

Can we go back to topic now?

1024Mb = 1Gb

12Gb = 12288Mb

<snip> Go figure. </snip>

Kb = Kilobit

KB = Kilobyte

Mb = Megabit

MB = Megabyte

Gb = Gigabit

GB = Gigabyte

ISP's always advertise their speeds in Megabit.

I used to be on Virgins top tier package which is 120.  Swapped to Sky Fibre 80 a couple of months ago

Sky are MUCH MUCH faster!!!

Virgin were a joke! I don't think I ever got 120 out of my connection, and more often than not it would settle around 50!  lol

But guys, let's make this more fun and introduce KiB, MiB, GiB, etc.

I used to be on Virgins top tier package which is 120.  Swapped to Sky Fibre 80 a couple of months ago

Sky are MUCH MUCH faster!!!

Virgin were a joke! I don't think I ever got 120 out of my connection, and more often than not it would settle around 50!  lol

That's because VM traffic manages, if you read the T&C you basically only get the advertised speeds for the first 100MB downloaded per day or something rediculous.

*snip*

I told you I was working base 10 for ease because I was on my phone. 

The only actual error I made there was:

124Megabytes per second equals 12 Gigabits

124Megabits per second equals 1 Gigabit

Can we go back to topic now?

1024Mb = 1Gb

12Gb = 12288Mb

That was a genuine mistake, as said, walking around town.

Like said many times, we was arguing the same topic with the same conclusion, a bit isn't a byte. Now we've all had that network 101, does any other person want to come in and claim the same thing while they can?

Is gigabit even possible through a coax cable? You would have to live within a stones throw from the cabinet.

Coax? yes with 3Ghz+ of bandwidth theoretically available you can easily do gigabit with under 1Ghz of space used

heck DOCSIS3 can do 300+Mbit with 8 channels on coax using about 48Mhz of bandwidth of the available 3GHz

say you have only 125 Channels available though at 6Mhz per channel on a coax cable (due to RF interference) that is still 4.75Gbit of speed approximately at 38Mbit per channel at QAM 256 modulation

I've never had a VM connection so I'm not going to pass judgement on that, but too many times I've walked round Leeds and passed more than one of their cabinets (or is it a node with VM?) wide open, with cabling virtually hanging out and looking in a very poor state. Just makes me wonder how much it affects their network.

I told you I was working base 10 for ease because I was on my phone. 

The only actual error I made there was:

That was a genuine mistake, as said, walking around town.

Like said many times, we was arguing the same topic with the same conclusion, a bit isn't a byte. Now we've all had that network 101, does any other person want to come in and claim the same thing while they can?

You entire posts were mistakes actually, also for future reference you use these symbols > < like this:

Bigger > Smaller

Smaller < Bigger

The pointy side indicates 'less than' the open two-point bit indicates 'greater than'.

When you do *something* < > *something* or > < they become pointless.

Now onto the topic, this rumor is ridiculous. You will not get faster internet if you own a PlayStation.

This has got to be the most Cringe worthy thread i've read on here in months...The amount of "your wrong, no your wrong, no your wrong" and "i know what im talking about because i went Uni HURR DURR" ...It's depressing and frankly embarrassing.

On topic - I'd never touch VM with a 10 ft pole, I suppose it's the old "once bitten twice shy" mentality, but the fact that a big companies network was so shoddy for such a long time compared to small companies makes me think they don't really care about the product, just profits. ( Now i know that's the majority of business, but i still like to feel the company cares about it's own products).

BT Infinity here for about 3-4 months so far and i've been really impressed at ping times/dl speeds and reliability. I just hope BT can keep up with VM on speeds but hopefully don't drop their reliability to the same.

On a VM business line, we'd lose connectivity every so often for between 30 minutes and a few days, and their response was always 'it will be fixed soon'. Emailing their support took OVER TWO WEEKS to ever get a reply, and they were so clueless it was embarrising, not to mention bugs with the router and it's shoddy 'firewall' feature you can't turn off (if one host doesn't reply to a DHCP request properly or a collision occurs, GREAT your router is completely frozen until the power is cycled!), not to mention just suddenly applying traffic filtering and management (these were not in the original T&C when we got the package but they refused to look into it or remove it).

Switched to BT and the worst that happens is every 2 or 3 months the internet line goes down for about 20 seconds and reconnects getting a different IP which, whilst annoying, is pretty excellent really.

I highly doubt VM could get 1Gbps speeds, we had a problem with them years ago and the engineer had to come out and remove and install a new copper cable because the one that was in was bent a bit 'too far' round a corner and caused a large loss in signal (we weren't able to get even 10Mbps with it...)

Anyway, enough off topic posting.

You entire posts were mistakes actually, also for future reference you use these symbols > < like this:

Bigger > Smaller

Smaller < Bigger

The pointy side indicates 'less than' the open two-point bit indicates 'greater than'.

When you do *something* < > *something* or > < they become pointless.

Now onto the topic, this rumor is ridiculous. You will not get faster internet if you own a PlayStation.

Someones obviously never coded if you're debating what '<>' means. Google it. I'll give you a hint, its the same as '!='.

People get so butthurt on here, I made points relevant to the thread and all people try to do is get one up on the other trying to prove they have an ounce of relevant knowledge. The internet.

Someones obviously never coded if you're debating what '<>' means. Google it. I'll give you a hint, its the same as '!='.

People get so butthurt on here, I made points relevant to the thread and all people try to do is get one up on the other trying to prove they have an ounce of relevant knowledge. The internet.

Not debating, telling you what it means.

Your points are irrelevant when you have no idea what you are talking about.

Not debating, telling you what it means.

Your points are irrelevant when you have no idea what you are talking about.

Butthurt much, <> is a common "doesn't equal" operator.

My points are irrelevant? I'm stating how the core infrastructure of the UK can potentially handle the Gigabit internet connections which could be given to people. Like people have said, the only constraints are at the exchange level. I'm out of here, this threads turned into e-penis sizing.