Richteralan

It's metal grinding noise alright.

dead.cell

In Mexico similar sounds happen when we have an earthquake.

<vid>

I'm more inclined to believe that's a total fake, especially considering the sound artifact in this video is clearly present at the 0:08 mark of the video. It's just a copy/paste of the sounds from Kiev from what I can tell.

Explanation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZEdkzMixh4

• Like 2
McKay

:facepalm:

Dude, people know their town. And constructions doesn't last a minute or so.

Similar metalic/magnetic sounds are beeing heard around the world more often now (do not all sound the same, but some do and some don't). Please do a little bit of research. It's all over the place, I even had a personal experience when I was in Northern Canada a while ago.

I didn't say it was the noise of construction work taking place, I said it might have been a heavy industry machine moving onto a construction site, huge vehicles like those can make some ungodly noises, are you also implying that Construction sites or metal structures are not found around the World? Because those are 2 possible things I suggested. I've heard a Tin Barn make a pretty similar noise in ludicrously high winds when I was in the Falkland Islands.

HawkMan

^ Why would people confuse this sound with a train noise which they have heard hundreds of times ... ?

Actually they suggested maintenance trains, not regular trains, maintenance trains make all kinds of crazy noises when working on the lines. 

MikeChipshop

Exactly as the above said, the sounds of heavy industry machines. When i lived in London i heard noises like this every day. In fact, a local train line used to carry the heavy nuclear freight trains and they sounded precisely like that and were so so loud.

I can see why people who have never heard it before or people that live in particularly quiet neighborhoods would find this pretty damn scary sounding though!

Mystic Mungis

It's our robotic overlords making the sexy time. 

• Like 1
Yazoo

hasn't this already been debunked as a hoax, the sound is from the Tom Cruise film War of the Worlds and this has been done to death.

edit: Or some other movie cant recall now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Hum
      A pit bull owner is calling for a change to animal bylaws in Saanich, B.C., after her dog was viciously attacked by a cat.

Javiera Rodriguez told CBC News a house cat attacked her pit bull while they were out for a walk with a group of six other pit bulls and their owners on Monday evening.

"The cat actually ran towards the dogs and started swiping at [my] dog's face," Rodriguez said.

Her three-year-old dog, Bandida, suffered scratches on the face, ears and chin. Rodriguez was also scratched in the attack. She described the cat as being average in size with white fluffy fur.

Rodriguez said she was out for a walk with Bandida and a group of other pit bulls when the attack took place.

Kyla Grover, the owner of two of the other dogs on the walk, said she couldn't believe what she saw.

"At first I was just shocked that this cat would go after seven dogs," she said. "I thought it would get scared and run away but it never did."
      She said she stepped in to help halt the attack.

"Bandida being a pit bull, I knew if something were to happen she would get blamed and I couldn't have that happen, so I just needed to get them apart," she said.

Grover also received puncture wounds and scratches that had to be treated in an emergency room, which took  five hours she said.

One of the owners of the cat, Del Thompson, has apologized and has paid for Rodriguez's veterinary bills.

more
    • By Hum
      High doses of vitamin D are safe for older people, according to new research that challenges the conclusions past studies that have suggested mega-doses of the vitamin pose a risk.

The findings, published in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, are based on an analysis of 236 nursing home residents given 20,000 IUs of vitamin D per week for a year, MedPage Today reports.

Lead researcher Timothy Green, of the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, and colleagues found that patients who took high-dose vitamin D for at least six months were able to boost their levels to appropriate concentrations without suffering ill effects.

They concluded giving high-dose vitamin D to nursing home patients is "feasible and safe and eliminates vitamin D insufficiency."

Seniors in assisted living are at risk of having low vitamin D levels because of reduced exposure to sunlight, and limited intake from food sources. Some studies have shown that giving vitamin D can reduce the risk of fractures and falls.

The American Geriatrics Society recommends 4,000 IU per day of vitamin D for older patients, but the new research suggests higher levels may offer benefits without raising risks.

source
    • By Hum
      Harry Black won an incredible $31.7 million in the lottery. But the way he accomplished it is even more amazing.
      As the BBC reports, Black, from British Columbia, won the money thanks to his purchasing two tickets with identical numbers.
      "This is a wonderful surprise to all of us," said Kevin Gass of the British Columbia Lottery. "While it's not known how many people buy identical tickets for a draw, it is the first time in the company's recollection that we've had this unique sort of win."
      The $63 million jackpot was ultimately split four ways. Meaning that if Black had used his winning numbers on just one ticket, the jackpot would have been split three ways and he would have walked away with a still whopping $20 million.
      Black, 66, is not only a huge lottery winner, he's also patient. The Surrey resident has been playing the same lottery numbers since he was 31?which means he waited 35 years for his enormous payday.
      Black said he has always purchased two tickets with the same numbers.
      For the record, the winning numbers were 02, 10, 17, 19, 44 and 47.
      Black already knew he was holding the winning pair of tickets since April 13, but he didn't step forward to claim the jackpot until the end of May while making plans for how he'd spend the money.
      ?After this is done, I?ve got to get out of Dodge and do something I've never done in my entire life: Go on a holiday,? he told CTV.
      Interestingly, Black said he has no plans to retire on his winnings. Instead, he?ll use the proceeds from the jackpot to build a home and go on vacation. He also plans to share some of the winnings with friends and family.
      "I already got enough toys,? he said at the press conference where he was awarded his giant lottery check. ?I worked hard for them. Maybe I?ll have time to play with them.?
      Black said he?d never won more than $10 off a single ticket before. He purchased the two winning tickets at a local Chevron gas station.
      source
    • By Hum
      LOS ANGELES ? Police say they have determined that a body found in a water tank on the roof of a downtown Los Angeles hotel is a Canadian tourist who'd been missing for nearly three weeks.
      Police spokeswoman Officer Diana Figueroa said Tuesday night that investigators used body markings to identify 21-year-old Elisa Lam, a resident of Vancouver, British Columbia who traveled to California alone and was last seen at the hotel on Jan. 31.
      Earlier Tuesday a hotel maintenance worker found the body while looking into complaints of poor water pressure.
      Police say they will attempt to determine whether Lam's death was the result of foul play or a bizarre accident.
      Lam traveled to California alone on Jan. 27, and was last seen by workers at the Cecil Hotel on Jan. 31.
      After hotel guests complained about low water pressure, an inspection of the rooftop water tanks revealed the body, Officer Sara Faden said.
      Officials were still struggling to remove the body from the water tank late Tuesday afternoon to send it to the coroner's office, Faden said.
      "It appears that the location of the water tanks is very small and configured in a very tight way so it's a little more difficult to get the body out," Faden said.
      Investigators will then determine whether there was foul play or "a very, very strange accident," Faden said.
      more
    • By Hum
      Hundreds of racing birds have disappeared in unexplained circumstances after being released in the region.
      Experts are baffled at the phenomenon, with abnormally high rainfall, high levels of solar activity and even signals from a spy base being blamed.
      Pigeon fanciers have compared it to the disappearance of ships and aircraft in an area of the Atlantic bounded by Miami, Bermuda and Puerto Rico. But now the mystery centres on a geographical area encompassing Thirsk, Wetherby and Consett.
      In the latest episode, only 13 out of 232 birds released in Thirsk last Saturday by a Scottish pigeon racing club made it back to Galashiels in the Scottish Borders.
      Keith Simpson, of the East Cleveland Federation of pigeon fanciers, said racers across the region had suffered huge losses since the season started in April, with many losing more than half their birds.
      Some are considering stopping flying them until they establish why so many fail to return.
      Scottish pigeon racer Austin Lindores said: ?When they fly down to the Thirsk, Wetherby and Consett area we call it the Bermuda Triangle because something always seems to happen.
      ?This is not the first time it has happened in that area. I won?t be racing there again.?
      It is the latest problem to hit the world of pigeon fancying. Some 60,000 people are thought to keep the birds, including 42,000 who race them, but the numbers are in steep decline and there are fears the pastime could be extinct within a decade.
      There is as yet no proper explanation for the pigeon ?Bermuda triangle? but the most popular theory is that the abnormal number of summer showers has been sending birds off course as they attempt to fly around the downpours.
      Another suggestion is that unusually high levels of solar activity have distorted magnetic fields thought to be used by the birds to navigate their way home.
      more