Xbox One could offer backwards comptibility/Gaikai-like service via cloud

There was a pretty interesting article posted on gamespot. Its an interview with Albert Penello:

http://au.gamespot.com/features/microsoft-talks-digital-only-future-kinect-and-why-xbox-one-is-worth-100-more-than-playstation-4-6413920/?page=1

Its a fairly extensive interview, but I was going to point out the bit on page two of the interview where they talk about MS' potential plans to leverage their cloud infrastructure.

The big take away for me is that its clear MS is looking at the same type of features that Sony is regarding serving game content.  Its clear these things aren't even close to being ready to offer, but its being looked at.  I remember the article a while back that had quotes from Sony where they said they could offer cloud features similar to MS and then we have this story basically saying MS can do what Sony plans to do.

It all comes down to who can do it correctly first.  In the end, we may find out that both offer fairly similar features, but who can pull it all together first.

I'm really psyched for all of the announcements/leaks that they're making after the fact, after all of the major conferences and shows, and after I pre-ordered a PS4. The time to say this stuff was a month ago, not now.

I'm really psyched for all of the announcements/leaks that they're making after the fact, after all of the major conferences and shows, and after I pre-ordered a PS4. The time to say this stuff was a month ago, not now.

I'm not sure what the difference is.  As you said, you pre-ordered a ps4.  You haven't actually bought anything yet.  There is plenty of time to switch a pre-order or add one if your wanting an X1 now.

They're keeping the community engaged though, which is interesting considering the complete lack of engagement before they changed plans.

It was really odd.

They're keeping the community engaged though, which is interesting considering the complete lack of engagement before they changed plans.

It was really odd.

Yeah it's almost like this was the plan all along but the first bit just didn't pay off like they hoped. It's pretty exciting stuff going on right now though. They've got me engaged for certain.

I'm not sure what the difference is. As you said, you pre-ordered a ps4. You haven't actually bought anything yet. There is plenty of time to switch a pre-order or add one if your wanting an X1 now.

I'm not sure if its the same where you buy your console/games but the store I bought from requires you to pay for it to reserve it.. So it's already bought.

Also for the topic can someone quote the part where he says Xbox will be doing this?

I'm not sure if its the same where you buy your console/games but the store I bought from requires you to pay for it to reserve it.. So it's already bought.

Also for the topic can someone quote the part where he says Xbox will be doing this?

I believe by law, all pre orders can be canceled with money back. 

I believe by law, all pre orders can be canceled with money back.

It's not the law here, but I can get a full refund because demand is high on the console. But I've pre-ordered other things and was told I'd lose a small deposit due to the store having to purchase it after I put in the pre-order.

It's not the law here, but I can get a full refund because demand is high on the console. But I've pre-ordered other things and was told I'd lose a small deposit due to the store having to purchase it after I put in the pre-order.

I didn't realize some places restricted you like that.  The places I preorder from either take a small deposit that is refundable, or require nothing at all.  I mostly preorder from Amazon now and of course their policy is the best since you can change pre-orders very easily. 

Regarding a quote from the article, here is the relevant part:

Question:

The Xbox One taps into the power of the cloud quite a bit. We're seeing one of your competitors, Sony, doing backwards compatibility through streaming. Does the cloud-powered nature of the Xbox One leave it open for things to change in the future for something like that?

Answer:

Yeah, absolutely. That's one of the things that makes [the cloud] at the same time both totally interesting and hard to describe to people. Because what the cloud can do is sort of hard to pin. When you say to the customer, we want the box to be connected, we want developers to know that the cloud is there. We?re really not trying to make up some phony thing. But there are so many things that the servers can do. Using our Azure cloud servers, sometimes it?s things like voice processing. It could be more complicated things like rendering full games like a Gaikai and delivering it to the box. We just have to figure out how, over time, how much does that cost to deliver, how good is the experience.

Like I said before, it seems MS is pursuing these features, but they are still a ways off.  Now we know Sony plans to get Gaikai going sometime in 'early' 2014 for the US and an unknown date for Europe, but it sounds like if MS is going to offer something similar, it will be much later. 

Coulda, woulda, shoulda...The amount of things they said about the 360 matching features of the PS3 and they never did. It was just another headline that was quickly forgotten about.

In their mind It's probably in their mind best interests not to provide a backwards compat service. That way they can milk HD remakes for another generation, except with a 4K label this time.

• Like 1

Coulda, woulda, shoulda...The amount of things they said about the 360 matching features of the PS3 and they never did. It was just another headline that was quickly forgotten about.

In their mind It's probably in their mind best interests not to provide a backwards compat service. That way they can milk HD remakes for another generation, except with a 4K label this time.

Are you talking about Sony or MS?  If I remember correctly, there have been a lot of HD remake milking on the PS3 this gen, much more than the 360. I don't remember some magical list of features that MS claimed they would be adding to 'match the ps3'. 

So apparently Sony can get away with saying they can offer functionality that MS offers but MS can't do the same.

Sorry, that remark comes off as a bit one sided.

• Like 3

I really wouldn't call streaming games "backwards compatibility", but yes all you need is an internet connection and you can do it, it's not fixed in hardware.

It'll still suck of course, but if you want proper backwards compatibility you can get the old console anyway.

Are you talking about Sony or MS?  If I remember correctly, there have been a lot of HD remake milking on the PS3 this gen, much more than the 360. I don't remember some magical list of features that MS claimed they would be adding to 'match the ps3'. 

So apparently Sony can get away with saying they can offer functionality that MS offers but MS can't do the same.

Sorry, that remark comes off as a bit one sided.

I was talking about MS/X1 in my post but the bill fits for PS3 this gen. I actually had this conversation with an MS employee not long ago. It's funny how they went from saying BC was important to being "backwards", now a few short months later they know that comment was BS and scrambling to please gamers.

And really, you don't remember MS saying "we could do x if there is demand?" Hmm, selective memory probably :P Peter Moore was particularly bad for it in the early days.

Neither Sony or MS are doing backwards compatibility though, at best you're getting a streamed solution which is going to be nowhere near the quality of actual backwards compatibility, or just running the game on the normal console.

Yup, but that streaming service is better than nothing. If they could include it in the Gold/PS+ subscription even better, but I suspect that's already being stretched thin these days, so it'll probably be extra sadly.

Not that "native" backwards compatibility is 100% either. Both 360 and PS3 had pretty rubbish support. 1 console was limited from the beginning, the other removed it for cost cutting, both eventually dropped support.

I was talking about MS/X1 in my post but the bill fits for PS3 this gen. I actually had this conversation with an MS employee not long ago. It's funny how they went from saying BC was important to being "backwards", now a few short months later they know that comment was BS and scrambling to please gamers.

And really, you don't remember MS saying "we could do x if there is demand?" Hmm, selective memory probably :p Peter Moore was particularly bad for it in the early days.

:laugh:  attacking me for selective memory, sorry buddy, you need to back off a bit on that silliness. I do remember that comment in relation to offering an external BluRay drive.  do you remember it being for a whole host of gaming features?  I don't remember the blanket statement your inferring, as in they said they would offer a specific feature and then didn't do it. I honestly want to know if it happened, its been a long time since the 360 launch.

It also fits for the ps4.  Remember how Sony came out and said that they could offer all the cloud features that MS will be offering if demand is there?  Even though we know they wont be simply due to how the two are offering different cloud solutions. 

I wonder what Sony's comment on backwards compatibility was.  I remember the 'backwards' comments from MS, but I don't remember what Sony's official line is.  Maybe they just avoid the question by hinting at the Gaikai streaming solution.

Either way, I agree that it is funny MS would say that, but then be working behind the scenes for a solution. 

Although lets be real here, streaming games is not backwards compatibility.  The only way I would accept it as such is if they had a program where you could send them your original 360/PS3 games and they would give you those titles for free via the streaming service.  If this stuff costs money, then its not backwards compatibility, its just another form of the HD remake silliness.

I'm pretty sure Sony already said that, when, they have their service up and running it'll still require you to actually pay to play the games.  There's no way for them to know or check to see if you actually own that old PSX/2/3 game you're trying to play now so they might as well charge you for it again.

It'll probably be the same with MS or maybe they'll have the ability to check and see that you own this game so you don't have to pay for it a 2nd time. 

I'm pretty sure Sony already said that, when, they have their service up and running it'll still require you to actually pay to play the games.  There's no way for them to know or check to see if you actually own that old PSX/2/3 game you're trying to play now so they might as well charge you for it again.

It'll probably be the same with MS or maybe they'll have the ability to check and see that you own this game so you don't have to pay for it a 2nd time. 

They could check if you just put the disc in the drive and it would allow you to stream it as long as the disc is in the drive, but I doubt they would allow that. They could even have a system like Ultraviolet, where you can add a movie to your digital library for a small fee if you already purchased it on disc.

They could check if you just put the disc in the drive and it would allow you to stream it as long as the disc is in the drive, but I doubt they would allow that. They could even have a system like Ultraviolet, where you can add a movie to your digital library for a small fee if you already purchased it on disc.

Seeing how you can pirate on both systems and fool the disc security I don't think they'd like that idea.

:laugh:  attacking me for selective memory, sorry buddy, you need to back off a bit on that silliness. I do remember that comment in relation to offering an external BluRay drive.  do you remember it being for a whole host of gaming features?  I don't remember the blanket statement your inferring, as in they said they would offer a specific feature and then didn't do it. I honestly want to know if it happened, its been a long time since the 360 launch.

It also fits for the ps4.  Remember how Sony came out and said that they could offer all the cloud features that MS will be offering if demand is there?  Even though we know they wont be simply due to how the two are offering different cloud solutions. 

I wonder what Sony's comment on backwards compatibility was.  I remember the 'backwards' comments from MS, but I don't remember what Sony's official line is.  Maybe they just avoid the question by hinting at the Gaikai streaming solution.

Either way, I agree that it is funny MS would say that, but then be working behind the scenes for a solution. 

Although lets be real here, streaming games is not backwards compatibility.  The only way I would accept it as such is if they had a program where you could send them your original 360/PS3 games and they would give you those titles for free via the streaming service.  If this stuff costs money, then its not backwards compatibility, its just another form of the HD remake silliness.

Well I do have a memory like Rain man so I can't hold it against you ;), but there is a lot of examples of MS saying "we could..." and never following through on it. Admittedly they got there in the end with some of them like Internet Explorer. Too bad it's an awful browser and requires Gold, but hey ;)

Until now Sony have always supported BC, but I guess with their struggles they decided the survival of the company is more important, hence the cost cutting. Probably something similar for Nintendo although it still has the predecessor BC at least.

Seeing how you can pirate on both systems and fool the disc security I don't think they'd like that idea.

The security of the current consoles has been compromised, but if you could put a 360 or PS3 game into the new consoles, then it may be possible for verification