Setup my own opensource Dropbox alternative!

Go to solution Solved by BudMan,

Question

Koshur

Hi,

I watched a YT video from CNET about setting up an open source dropbox alternative. To my surprise there was really a good one waiting to be explored. www.owncloud.org

Ok. so down to my issues:

Setup:

1. TP link ADSL router TD-w8968 
  2. FTP server ftp://koshur.homelinux.net (which is basically my 1TB segate HDD connected to router's USB interface)
  3. Got dyndns setup within the router to resolve hostname (credits to Budman and +sc302!)
  4. Two laptops logged on via wifi apart from two android smart phones.
  5. I use XMBC to stream content via SMB sever on my LAN.

What I'm trying to do:n 

• For now, I want my data to reside on my FTP (HDD).  
  • Installed ownclound via .deb installer on Ubuntu 12.04. When i pulled up the index page (http://ipaddress/owncloud) it asked me to set location for the data reside. 
  • I entered the URL (root directory - that i have admin access, read write) of the SMB sever (my FTP) but it didn't accept and threw permission error (see below)

post-431588-0-89217500-1378487333.png

I read about the error at various thread like this one http://forum.owncloud.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7118. Downloaded the admin user guide(http://doc.owncloud.org/) about setting up the SMB as location to save data. I guess i got caught up at 'Custom Mount Configuration' on page 41. Since I'm not from a programming field, couldn't make out the JSON thing.

I'm so willing to get this working. I would love to move on from Dropbox. If this works out, I'll probably think of getting a proper NAS device for backups. Now the reason I am wiling to go this far - Its a closest alternative I've come across to dropbox. 

How to get my FTP (HDD) working as storage for owncloud.?

Thanks
MArk

+BudMan

so your smb share server name is "adsl router" with a space in the name? That can cause all kinds of issues, better would be adslrouter or adsl-router or adsl_router, etc.

You can access \\adsl router from your computer? That seems unlikely to me.

did you try

smb : // 192.168.1.xxx/sharename
What username and password are you using?

its odd if I put smb : // next to each other it doesnt post.

+Fahim S.

Not sure I understand...

why don't you just mount the share as a folder and point owncloud at that folder?

• Like 1
Koshur

so your smb share server name is "adsl router" with a space in the name? That can cause all kinds of issues, better would be adslrouter or adsl-router or adsl_router, etc.

You can access \\adsl router from your computer? That seems unlikely to me.

did you try

smb : // 192.168.1.xxx/sharename
What username and password are you using?

its odd if I put smb : // next to each other it doesnt post.

The URL for my SMB, for some reasons shows a %. I use the router 'admin' and password to access the SMB (which is basically the admin user for FTP). I also have a user with read only access with a different username and password. Check these:

post-431588-0-99259500-1378521217.png 

post-431588-0-95387000-1378521223.png

post-431588-0-88901900-1378521299.png

post-431588-0-62668600-1378521314.png

post-431588-0-20685400-1378521400.png

Part of the problem now is that I cant get the location reset back to default. Everytime i open http://192.168.1.100/owncloud/, it points to the same smb location

I'm looking this would be in config.php (/var/www/owncloud/config). But the config file won't open with the text editor. Looks like i might need to re-instal?

Not sure I understand...

why don't you just mount the share as a folder and point owncloud at that folder?

Hmmm..wel. i'll first need to get the location reset to default. If i mount the smb as a share folder on my Lappi and point the owncloud to the location, it would still have the % symbol there. I'm guessing by mounting you mean as i've done (refer my file manger screenshots). 

The segate is mounted. Plus i'll need this to point everytime and always to my HDD permanently. I don't want to be mounting the folder everytime. Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of using my FTP as storage?

+BudMan

%20 is space in html, change your NAME of your device!!

As to mount, why don't you just go into command line of your owncloud install and mount the share via the OS say to /nas and then just in owncloud look to what it thinks is local storage.

• Like 2
Koshur

noob question - where do i change the Device Name. Router? 

Aergan
Koshur, on 07 Sept 2013 - 11:55, said:

noob question - where do i change the Device Name. Router? 

Yes, likely under the Network or LAN pages looking at that screenshot.

+Fahim S.

As to mount, why don't you just go into command line of your owncloud install and mount the share via the OS say to /nas and then just in owncloud look to what it thinks is local storage.

Isn't that what I said?

Koshur

it wont allow to rename:

post-431588-0-69449500-1378552034.png

+BudMan

That's what I took what you stated to mean yes.. I just reworded it a bit since he didn't seem to understand it.

"If i mount the smb as a share folder on my Lappi and point the owncloud to the location"

edit: Hit your adsl device directly!!! via its web gui

Koshur

BTW, how do i reset this.I tried reinstalling. that didnt work 

post-431588-0-08699800-1378552565.png

Koshur

That's what I took what you stated to mean yes.. I just reworded it a bit since he didn't seem to understand it.

"If i mount the smb as a share folder on my Lappi and point the owncloud to the location"

edit: Hit your adsl device directly!!! via its web gui

I cant find an option to change the name in router GUI. Where could it possibly be?

+BudMan

I just looked in the manual real quick and did not see it to be honest.. Strange! I just got a tp-link TL-WDR3600 to replace my aging wrt54g and move into the dual band world of N.. Couldn't pass up the deal of $42 to use as accesspoint.

And in the few minutes I had the native firmware on it, not sure if it had a place to change hostname? But I did not bother with smb stuff.. But here in dd-wrt gui is where you would set it

post-14624-0-46865400-1378553168.png

I would have to assume anything that could share out via smb must have place to change its name and what workgroup its a member of -- this would be for network browsing features and grouping, etc.

Koshur

I've not flashed the firmware to dd-wrt. I'm using TP link's built in firmware. Mine is TD-w8968 and I don't see the NAS option you have. Does this mean I'll have to flash the firmware (that would void the warranty)

+BudMan

I doubt you can flash to dd-wrt if with a ADSL device.. I can not believe a device would allow sharing via smb/cifs and not allow changing of its name?? Or what workgroup its a member of. Like I said I had their crappy firmware on for about 3 minutes - enough time to flash it to dd-wrt ;)

But in the example they show using IP address to access it.

Mount it via command line and the ip address to a folder as suggested in the OS of the box your running owncloud on.

Koshur

would it be "sudo mount <source location> <mount point folder/destination>" ??

Koshur

Yes - that'll do it for a one-time mount.

You need to edit /etc/fstab for something that mounts automatically at boot.

See: http://www.ghacks.net/2009/04/19/auto-mounting-a-samba-share-in-linux/

Thanks, Ill try this, would this fix "Can't create data directory" error? or would I need to reset the config.php (which i really can't figure out)

Ran the command, got this error. 

root@koshur-HP-ProBook-4530s:/home/koshur# //192.168.1.1/segate(sda1) -U admin
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `sda1'
root@koshur-HP-ProBook-4530s:/home/koshur# 

Koshur

Requesting a TM session.. 

User ID: 196281112

+Fahim S.

I think you can just delete config.php

Koshur

I think you can just delete config.php

Tried to. but i wont allow. throws permission error. 

+Fahim S.

use sudo?

Koshur

ok. so i root into the /var/www/owncloud/config and deleted the config.php and config-sample.php. and i now see the default login screen! But i'm still dicey about the auto mount would work since it wont recognize  

root@koshur-HP-ProBook-4530s:/home/koshur# //192.168.1.1/segate(sda1) -U admin

+BudMan

Ok for one thing from your screeny, seqate(sda1) is NOT your share name.. its just segate

See

post-14624-0-17455800-1378557622.png

So I have no idea why your putting that in your command? That might be your whole issue in your smb : // attempt..

And wouldn't it be seagate anyway? That is the name of the drive company, not segate ;)

Koshur

Ok for one thing from your screeny, seqate(sda1) is NOT your share name.. its just segate

See

attachicon.gifsharename.png

So I have no idea why your putting that in your command? That might be your whole issue in your smb : // attempt..

And wouldn't it be seagate anyway? That is the name of the drive company, not segate ;)

ok, so here's the output:

root@koshur-HP-ProBook-4530s:/home/koshur# smbclient //192.168.1.1/segate -U admin
Enter admin's password: 
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.14a]
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME
root@koshur-HP-ProBook-4530s:/home/koshur# 

segate - well this would have been how it first can to my mind. :)

Here is how my Index of look like for admin:

post-431588-0-98111600-1378558620.png

+BudMan

that is not your smb index of shares - your hitting ftp in that screeny not \\servername

Here is example of smb shares on a server

post-14624-0-17090300-1378559170.png

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By News Staff
      Get this Build a Bundle: Learn Game Development, for free
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deal comes via our Online Courses section of the Neowin Deals store, where you can get this Build a Bundle: Learn Game Development for free. First-person shooter, micro-RPG, & micro-strategy — learn up-to-date skills and build real games with 3 hands-on courses from Zenva.

The fastest track to success is to learn by doing and in this 3-course bundle, you'll be able to build real games as you follow along with the lessons. You'll be working with Godot and Unity engines. Not only will you boost your overall game development skills within these game development engines, but gain essential, fundamental knowledge for coding a variety of strategy game systems that can be expanded further for larger, turn-based projects. Including downloadable project files, these courses will take you through the process of creating 3 different kinds of games — first-person shooter, micro-RPG, and micro-strategy games. Start learning now and come up with real projects to put in your portfolio.

Courses Offered

Build a First-Person Shooter with Godot Build a Micro-RPG Build a Micro-Strategy Game Description

Access 50 lectures & 5 hours of content 24/7 Create a first-person shooter, complete with attacking enemies, pickups, & more Gain integral skills for manipulating objects in 3D space & for scripting various FPS mechanics with Godot’s GDScript language Create a top-down, 2D micro-RPG in Unity Learn a variety of skills necessary to create a full-fledged RPG Master the basics & learn transferable skills that can be applied to your larger projects Create a turn-based, micro-strategy game about building & managing a colony on Mars This Build a Bundle: Learn Game Development normally costs $99, but you can pick it up for free for a limited time. For a full description, specs, and instructor info, click the link below.

Get this free bundle, or learn more about it
      ChronoWatch Multi-Function Smart Watch (Blue)
      16 high-tech sports functions including calorie, step, and heart rate tracking with text & call alerts on full capacitive touch screen. Also available in Black, Grey and Rose Gold.

Get this Price Dropped deal for just $32.97 (list price $199)

Not for you?
      That's OK, there are other deals on offer you can check out here.

Ivacy VPN - 5 year subscription for just $1 per month NordVPN - 2 year subscription at up to 68% off Private Internet Access VPN - subscriptions at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS - unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Neowin Store for our preferred partners. Subscribe to Neowin - for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Giveaways: Polycade Home Arcade | $5K in cash | $10K in Crypto | Gaming Bundle Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs.

• By News Staff
      How To Finally Get Unstuck & Make 2021 Your Best Year Yet, For Free
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deal comes via our Online Courses section of the Neowin Deals store, where you can Finally Get Unstuck & Make 2021 Your Best Year Yet, For Free! Learn a surprising formula that will give you more momentum toward any goal in a single month than you've had in all of 2020.

In this short mini-course, you'll learn specific new strategies that you can use to get a head start on your 2021, and make sure you look back a year from now proud of what you've done. You'll be able to identify the reason you keep getting stuck and what to do about it. You'll be able to start taking action toward your dreams and learn a surprising formula that will give you more momentum toward any goal in a single month than you've had in all of 2020. If you're tired of getting side-tracked and abandoning the promises you make at the beginning of the year, this course is for you.

Access 5 lectures & 1 hour of content 24/7 Identify your repeating patterns & exactly what to do about them Know how to start feeling great, grateful & inspired to take action Learn a surprising formula that will give you more momentum toward any goal in a single month than you've had in all of 2020 Use today to get a head start on your 2021 Here's the deal
      This 2021: How to Finally Get Unstuck & Make 2021 Your Best Year Yet Bundle normally costs $200 but it can be yours for free! For terms, certification and instructor info, click the link below.

Get this free deal, or learn more about it
      Not for you?
      That's OK, there are other deals on offer you can check out here.

Enter giveaways: Polycade Home Arcade | $5K in cash | $10K in Crypto Ivacy VPN - 5 year subscription for just $1 per month NordVPN - 2 year subscription at up to 68% off Private Internet Access VPN - subscriptions at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS - unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Neowin Store for our preferred partners. Subscribe to Neowin - for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs.

• By News Staff
      Industrial Cybersecurity - Free Sample Chapters
      by Steven Parker

Claim your complimentary eBook excerpt for free, before the offer expires.

Your one-step guide to understanding industrial cyber security, its control systems, and its operations.

What You Will Learn:

Understand industrial cybersecurity, its control systems and operations Design security-oriented architectures, network segmentation, and security support services Configure event monitoring systems, anti-malware applications, and endpoint security Gain knowledge of ICS risks, threat detection, and access management Learn about patch management and life cycle management Secure your industrial control systems from design through retirement How to get it
      Please ensure you read the terms and conditions to claim this offer. Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this free offer. If you have previously made use of these free offers, you will not need to re-register. While supplies last!

Industrial Cybersecurity - Free Sample Chapters
      Offered by Packt Publishing, view their other free resources. Time limited offer.

Not for you?
      That's OK, there are other free eBooks on offer you can check out here.

Enter giveaways: Polycade Home Arcade | $5K in cash | $10K in Crypto Ivacy VPN - 5 year subscription for just $1 per month NordVPN - 2 year subscription at up to 68% off Private Internet Access VPN - subscriptions at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS - unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Neowin Store for our preferred partners. Subscribe to Neowin - for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Disable Sponsored posts · Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

Disclosure: A valid email address is required to fulfill your request. Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this offer. By submitting a request, your information is subject to TradePub.com's Privacy Policy.

• By News Staff
      The Innovation Ultimatum ($17 Value) - free eBook
      by Steven Parker

The Innovation Ultimatum: How six strategic technologies will reshape every business in the 2020s ($17.00 Value) eBook FREE for a limited time. Offer ends today, April 28.

Prepares leaders for the 2020s--an accessible guide to the key technologies that will reshape business in the coming decade.

Most businesses identify six key digital technologies—artificial intelligence (AI), distributed ledgers and blockchain, the Internet of Things (IoT), autonomous machines, virtual and augmented reality, and 5G communication—as critical to their relevance and growth over the coming ten years. These new disruptive technologies present significant opportunity for businesses in every industry. The first businesses to understand automation and these transformative technologies will be the ones to reap the greatest rewards in the marketplace. The Innovation Ultimatum helps leaders understand the key technologies poised to reshape business in the next decade and prepare their organizations for technology-enabled change.

Using straightforward, jargon-free language, this important resource provides a set of strategic questions every leader will need to ask and answer in order to prepare for the impending changes to the business landscape. Author Steve Brown shares his insights to help leaders take full advantage of the next wave of digital transformation and describes compelling examples of how businesses are already embracing new technologies to optimize operations, create new value, and serve customers in new ways. Written for anyone that wants to understand how automation and new technology will fundamentally restructure business, this book enables readers to:

Understand the implications of technology-driven change across industrial sectors Apply important insights to their own business Gain competitive advantage by implementing new technologies Prepare for the future of work and understand the skills needed to thrive in a post-automation economy Adopt critical digital technologies in any organization Providing invaluable cutting-edge content, The Innovation Ultimatum is a much-needed source of guidance and inspiration for business leaders, board members, C-suite executives, and senior managers who need to prepare their businesses for the future.

How to get it
      Please ensure you read the terms and conditions to claim this offer. Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this free offer. If you have previously made use of these free offers, you will not need to re-register. While supplies last!

Offered by Wiley, view other free resources | Limited time offer ends today, April 28

Not for you?

Enter giveaways: Polycade Home Arcade | $5K in cash | $10K in Crypto Ivacy VPN - 5 year subscription for just $1 per month NordVPN - 2 year subscription at up to 68% off Private Internet Access VPN - subscriptions at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS - unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Neowin Store for our preferred partners. Subscribe to Neowin - for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Disable Sponsored posts · Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

Disclosure: A valid email address is required to fulfill your request. Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this offer. By submitting a request, your information is subject to TradePub.com's Privacy Policy.

• By News Staff
      by Steven Parker

The Innovation Ultimatum: How six strategic technologies will reshape every business in the 2020s ($17.00 Value) eBook FREE for a limited time. Offer ends on April 28.

Prepares leaders for the 2020s--an accessible guide to the key technologies that will reshape business in the coming decade.

Most businesses identify six key digital technologies—artificial intelligence (AI), distributed ledgers and blockchain, the Internet of Things (IoT), autonomous machines, virtual and augmented reality, and 5G communication—as critical to their relevance and growth over the coming ten years. These new disruptive technologies present significant opportunity for businesses in every industry. The first businesses to understand automation and these transformative technologies will be the ones to reap the greatest rewards in the marketplace. The Innovation Ultimatum helps leaders understand the key technologies poised to reshape business in the next decade and prepare their organizations for technology-enabled change.

Using straightforward, jargon-free language, this important resource provides a set of strategic questions every leader will need to ask and answer in order to prepare for the impending changes to the business landscape. Author Steve Brown shares his insights to help leaders take full advantage of the next wave of digital transformation and describes compelling examples of how businesses are already embracing new technologies to optimize operations, create new value, and serve customers in new ways. Written for anyone that wants to understand how automation and new technology will fundamentally restructure business, this book enables readers to:

Understand the implications of technology-driven change across industrial sectors Apply important insights to their own business Gain competitive advantage by implementing new technologies Prepare for the future of work and understand the skills needed to thrive in a post-automation economy Adopt critical digital technologies in any organization Providing invaluable cutting-edge content, The Innovation Ultimatum is a much-needed source of guidance and inspiration for business leaders, board members, C-suite executives, and senior managers who need to prepare their businesses for the future.

How to get it

Offered by Wiley, view other free resources | Limited time offer ends April 28

Not for you?