Microsoft was

http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/06/microsoft-was-surprised-by-negative-xbox-one-reaction-3952471/

This is the kind of foresight that is surprising to me at Microsoft.

The whole concept of what the Xbox One was supposed to be was actually pretty incredible.  Very forward thinking and taking it to the next level.  I was also surprised at the backlash.  Not only could I have a next gen gaming system, but now I could have a library like I do in Steam where I can play whatever game without having to put in a disc?  Instant on like my Apple TV?  Augment my cable box for my TV viewing?  Holy crap that sounds awesome!!  But no, someone wanted the Xbox 360.5 (or didn't want the PS3.5 eclipsed) and so a massive outcry began.

They will be more surprised if they do drop the Nokia brand name from the Lumias.

You realize that they're contractually obligated to drop the brand after this generation of phones, right?   They can only keep using Nokia on dumbphones from now on? 

You realize that they're contractually obligated to drop the brand after this generation of phones, right?   They can only keep using Nokia on dumbphones from now on? 

Isn't that precisely what I mean!?

The whole concept of what the Xbox One was supposed to be was actually pretty incredible.  Very forward thinking and taking it to the next level.  I was also surprised at the backlash.  Not only could I have a next gen gaming system, but now I could have a library like I do in Steam where I can play whatever game without having to put in a disc?  Instant on like my Apple TV?  Augment my cable box for my TV viewing?  Holy crap that sounds awesome!!  But no, someone wanted the Xbox 360.5 (or didn't want the PS3.5 eclipsed) and so a massive outcry began.

Things like restrictive drm against used games and a required check in every 24 hours or else the console essentially becomes a big black brick are "forward thinking" and the "next level"?

Things like restrictive drm against used games and a required check in every 24 hours or else the console essentially becomes a big black brick are "forward thinking" and the "next level"?

At least half of neowin says yes, they were great features. Bear in mind I've not seen a single forum on the net thus far that's agreed with it like people on neowin have.

The Check in could of been tweeked...  And to be honest screw Gamestop...  $60 to buy new... 3weeks later you get $10 used... smh...

People complain about Gamestop (and other used games venders) policies and then cry a river when Microsoft wanted to try something different...  Sad part is, they weren't even trying to get rid of Gamestop... Just put a few coins in the Developers hands... And by doing it through a digital means...By having physical and digital be equal... Gamestop would of still gotten their cut, and little Timmy's mom can still feel good about holding a physical product in their hands...

Definitely forward thinking...

Worst part about it was all people had to do, was try it, and then drop the ban hammer if hated... STEAM sucked big time, once upon a time... Worked out well for them...

Ive has the most simplistic, basic and dumb idea about how MS could manage their marketing and base their design on paying/potential customer opinion/feedback.  I'm thinking most of us have and don't want to tell them because their current staff seem to be scaringly (word?) over paid for what they do when it comes to marketing and customer satisfaction.

the trolls were out in full force,including the tech press, so much so that the benefits were drowned out, and nobody really knew about stuff like family sharing and all that until after the policies were reversed. Then when people really did understand what this was all about, the tech press started coming out with articles questioning if it really was such a bad idea. Example, gizmodo with "The Xbox One just got way worse,and its all our fault".

They were surprised because they had all these great ideas, and those who got it internally were pumped, but they got their communication wrong. They simply got their message wrong.

They had so many good ideas, but they didn't communicate it right at all. And whats worse is when the backlash started they didn't simply regroup and come out with a clearer message, they had goons like Larry Hyrb just saying 'we know what's best' and making the situation worse.

Because of their unclear messaging, the hate turned into a tidalwave from which they couldn't recover. They had to U turn, and as such all their good ideas are now diluted. Online connection is no longer a given so relying on cloud processing for non time sensitive computation is now marginalised. List goes on.

They needed to have someone who could speak to the consumer and community. Someone who could get their message and ambition across. Because of their failure to communicate we're left with a gimped xbox one :/

the trolls were out in full force,including the tech press, so much so that the benefits were drowned out, and nobody really knew about stuff like family sharing and all that until after the policies were reversed. Then when people really did understand what this was all about, the tech press started coming out with articles questioning if it really was such a bad idea. Example, gizmodo with "The Xbox One just got way worse,and its all our fault".

Family share aka, demos.

Family share aka, demos.

WRONG.... Microsoft stated themselves that they were full games.. and NOT timed demos ....and timed demos rather it be a few minutes to a couple of hours would have been dumb and not worth their time...

Before the 180 all the information was on Microsoft's website... I read it for myself... and it was FULL games...

WRONG.... Microsoft stated themselves that they were full games.. and NOT timed demos ....and timed demos rather it be a few minutes to a couple of hours would have been dumb and not worth their time...

Before the 180 all the information was on Microsoft's website... I read it for myself... and it was FULL games...

Yup, and it would work just like if you lent a disc.  While your friend had the game, you couldn't play it on your system much like if you didn't have the disc.

Also, look what the Steam model has done to pricing.  It's been amazing how many sales are available on Steam where you have the opportunity to pick up older games pretty cheap.  Steam doesn't support used games and how many "PC is the best gaming system" threads are started any given day?

Also, look what the Steam model has done to pricing.  It's been amazing how many sales are available on Steam where you have the opportunity to pick up older games pretty cheap.  Steam doesn't support used games and how many "PC is the best gaming system" threads are started any given day?

The thing is.. I can buy multiple games on steam for the price of 1 ps4 game.  I can get 300$ worth of games for 5$ on the humble bundle.  If companies did that with PS4/Xbox1 games you wouldn't see the want for used games either. 

The thing is.. I can buy multiple games on steam for the price of 1 ps4 game. I can get 300$ worth of games for 5$ on the humble bundle. If companies did that with PS4/Xbox1 games you wouldn't see the want for used games either.

But that's my point. Before Steam you'd never see those type of sales. With a digital console marketplace you would start seeing the same thing.

But that's my point. Before Steam you'd never see those type of sales. With a digital console marketplace you would start seeing the same thing.

I don't know about that. 

Xbox One was ahead of its time for a video game console, no matter what anyone says about DRM (it exists and will continue to, get over it). The thing is that we know what Microsoft is going towards with the ability to make digital as easy as physical. They tried to pull an iPhone 2007 reveal but didn't have the correct messaging as iPhone did. The iPhone was before its time and it had MANY drawbacks that other smartphones at the time had for so many years. Same type of concept.

We'll probably get a lot of the digital features "back" for next year and they'll probably show it off at next years E3 so they have something to boast. Problem for them is that because they showed their hand, this also gives Sony time to implement the same thing for their system for digital games. Microsoft will need to do more than what they already did to keep Sony at bay. I still think that Microsoft will show how much more market they want at next years E3 and other conferences. The biggest thing for them is to get make the Xbox THE standard set-top box for all major markets. Microsoft needs to work their partner relations with the cable companies (the devil) while also getting these 3rd party apps from other content creators.

But we'll see what happens.