Playstation Vita TV announced, play Vita titles on TV/multiroom for PS4

Do people really want to play vita games on their tv? I mean, some vita games are even lower res than wii games so they'll look quite hideous hooked up to the typical 1080p display.

I do, there a lot of great jrpg games that only came out on the handhelds and I don't like the small form factor (screen size, not controls).

Using the vita and seeing it on the tv would be perfect for me.

That thing can play vita games by itself... at 99, that thing does a very good job. I want to play vita games but I don't want the vita... that thing just solves that.

That thing can play vita games by itself... at 99, that thing does a very good job. I want to play vita games but I don't want the vita... that thing just solves that.

Yeah, that's the biggest deal for me.  I have been reluctant to buy a Vita since I don't game on the go anymore and prefer playing these games on the big screen.

Now this device lets me do that for $100, that's awesome.  Now, they did say that not all Vita games work, probably depending on how much they require the use of the touch controls.  They put up a list of supported titles.

Using it to stream the ps4 is nice, but I think it appeals less to me.  You can't play on your ps4 and this device at the same time, its output is limited to 720p/2-channel audio, etc.  Its just too limited for me. 

Sweet now I don't need to buy a vita just for uncharted golden abyss..

and if you have a playstation plus subscription just add Golden Abyss to your games list now (start the download on a PS3 and cancel it to gain ownership) then when you get this you wont have to pay for Golden Abyss (its an amazing game i just finished it a week ago.)

Will this little box support apps and TV content? If so, could have myself a new TV streaming box.

Still waiting for MS to release a Xbox TV only device for apps and arcade games which was rumored a while back. If this Vita device does just that I will pick one up. MS are taking too long.

Will this little box support apps and TV content? If so, could have myself a new TV streaming box.

Still waiting for MS to release a Xbox TV only device for apps and arcade games which was rumored a while back. If this Vita device does just that I will pick one up. MS are taking too long.

Its supposed to support the usual media apps, so it could take the place of a Roku type box.  I don't know how it will handle local content, but if your just interested in streaming content, it will have that.

The irony is that this device makes sense if Sony had gone for MS all digital distribution.

Streaming to a tv in another room, but oops, I want to play another game, need to go across the house to change disc.

And the while not capable of 1080p :facepalm: not really an appleTV competitor there, it also has to be as easy and smooth to use as the appleTV, and while I like Sony TVs, the Sony crossbar interface isn't terribly good for this kind of device.

I did forget to point that out in my last post.

Anyone wanting to use this as a media streaming device should be aware of two things:

It does not support 1080p  (And I assume that means no 3D), and no surround sound  (just 2-channel).

So if you care about those two things, your going to get a better experience streaming media from an apple tv or roku type box.

It's also only being released in Japan for now.

Also what does the remote for it look like ? Personally I find the appleTV remote a bit on the simple side, but hopefully it doesn't look like the average Sony tv remote :)

If this is not Miracast, it's the most pointless device ever. They should just support Miracast / Chromecast / AirPlay instead of launching another protocol.

+1

Can't wait to pick it!

It's also only being released in Japan for now.

Also what does the remote for it look like ? Personally I find the appleTV remote a bit on the simple side, but hopefully it doesn't look like the average Sony tv remote :)

I didn't see any talk about a remote coming with it, just about using a DS3/4 with it.

It doesn't have any listed support for IR/RF, so that would rule out any normal remotes, unless you use something that uses Bluetooth.

I didn't see any talk about a remote coming with it, just about using a DS3/4 with it.

It doesn't have any listed support for IR/RF, so that would rule out any normal remotes, unless you use something that uses Bluetooth.

There's a more expensive version that comes with a DS3

if you have to use a DS3 you have to control the regular version and it doesn't come with a remote, it's complete and utter failure. 

the AppleTV is the best selling mdeia box for a reason, it's the only one that really works, but even the AppleTV is barely selling.

There's a more expensive version that comes with a DS3

if you have to use a DS3 you have to control the regular version and it doesn't come with a remote, it's complete and utter failure. 

the AppleTV is the best selling mdeia box for a reason, it's the only one that really works, but even the AppleTV is barely selling.

Yeah but getting a DS3 is like 25 pounds on UK, and seriously I don't even have my PS3 with me and I have my DS3 because it rocks for PC gaming. Trying to look it bad comparing it with apple looks so bad on you, considering you are all pro MS, just that this time... MS doesn't have anything similar. PC rocks both above MS and Sony, but I have to applaud some of the ideas presented here, specially considering the price. So I would invite you to back off if you don't have any other thing to say except to bash the product that it even hasn't come out yet.

What does MS not havign anything similar have to do with anything ? 

I'm pro quality, not pro MS. as of today, Apple is the only ones making a usable media player box. IF you're going to do it, do it right. 

It's supposed to compete with the AppleTV... except you have to control it with a game controller !? and it doesn't even support full HD.... come on... 

So I would invite you to back off if you don't have any other thing to say except to bash the product that it even hasn't come out yet.

Really ? from YOU ? stones, glass houses, throwing, you know. 

as for the products "ideas" relative to price. so far it's offering very little and in many ways less than the AppleTV offers for the same price or lower. 

Also MS already has the framework for this built into the console with SmartGlass. honestly though, I don't see the remote play function to be a great seller. for some people sure, but on the whole not really.

I just think they should have done it right, proper interface, a nice easy to use remote, 1080p support, GB ethernet port. 

What does MS not havign anything similar have to do with anything ? 

I'm pro quality, not pro MS. as of today, Apple is the only ones making a usable media player box. IF you're going to do it, do it right. 

It's supposed to compete with the AppleTV... except you have to control it with a game controller !? and it doesn't even support full HD.... come on... 

Really ? from YOU ? stones, glass houses, throwing, you know. 

as for the products "ideas" relative to price. so far it's offering very little and in many ways less than the AppleTV offers for the same price or lower. 

Also MS already has the framework for this built into the console with SmartGlass. honestly though, I don't see the remote play function to be a great seller. for some people sure, but on the whole not really.

I just think they should have done it right, proper interface, a nice easy to use remote, 1080p support, GB ethernet port. 

Yeah... me, which I have only said things when some people say that PC cannot do things that X console does. Please refer to my post if you have any doubt. Here instead you, and I don't know why you are allowed into the sony subforum considering all your history here, try to say that's an inferior product when to begin with there is no reference, the apple thing cannot play vita games, that like it or not, has quality games in it. OH YEAH I want to play the YS Celceta, such kind of games are a dream on apple ecosystem (as well as MS, because they tend to rely mostly on FPS lately) but not on Sony (Which admittedly also relies on FPS, but at least it has more diversity than MS).

I don't think its unfair to point out shortcomings of any new device.

So anyone that wants to look at this as an apple tv or roku replacement needs to know all the facts around it, nothing evil about that.

At the same time, Sony didn't really label this as a media streaming device, instead its marketing focus was vita games and ps4 remote features.  The media stuff was secondary.  So you cant really get angry with Sony for not properly supporting the device for general media when that does not seem to be their goal with this.

It's a $99 Vita to TV/PS4 Remote adapter that also has access to some media features.  So compare it more to Ouya than a Roku.  This is a cheap gaming console, not a cheap media device.

In fact, as long as you think about this as a game console like the Ouya, you see how it easily outmatches that device.  If I was considering an Ouya right now, I would have to stop and get the Vita TV instead.  It can give me all the indie titles that Ouya is supposedly all about, plus a strong lineup of Vita/PSP games.  It also taps into the digital Vita store, which includes ps1 titles.  Even if you don't plan on owning a ps4 right now, the remaining gaming content is plenty to make this worth it.

I was basically not getting a Vita, but I will seriously consider this if it comes to the US. 

(as well as MS, because they tend to rely mostly on FPS lately) but not on Sony (Which admittedly also relies on FPS, but at least it has more diversity than MS).

The launch lineup for both next gen systems is fairly diverse.  I'm not talking about launch day, but of the games announced for both platforms.

The announcements coming out of Japan could tilt that in Sony's favor, but we don't yet know how many of the announced titles will also come to the X1.  I have yet to find anyone with a definitive list, and the Sony announcements don't use the word exclusive for them, so I don't know.

This isn't being sold as a media box, it's a PS Vita first and foremost.

It's not really competing with Apple TV, sure it can do media, and Apple TV does that better, but Apple TV doesn't play games, at all. This is a gaming peripheral first and fore most, just like the PS4, or, duh, the portable PS Vita.

The main audience? People who want to play PS Vita games on their TV, hence, Vita TV. Vita doesn't do 5.1 audio, 1080p, have 5 different media apps, support MKV/Blu Ray rips, etc. If those are your main requirements what are you doing thinking about this device? Every functionality on top of playing PS Vita games is an afterthought, and one probably heavily pressured by pricing and the size of the box.

Honestly, people barely want to play their vita games on the vita, where is this massive demand for people to play vita games on the tv coming from...

And whatever Sony says or not says, it's being advertised as a Apple TV replacement, and it's what every news site is calling it as well.

And you k ow as well as I do that the novelty of playing low fidelity handheld games on the big screen wears of fast, and then you're left with XBMC box 2.0. Except its not running XBMC.... Yet...

It runs on the Vita graphics chipset, it's simply a gutted Vita inside a small box. If websites want to compare that to an Apple TV and people are unable to distinguish the rather obvious difference then they aren't the people it's targeted at, and if they waste $99 it's their own fault.

You sound rather bitter right now, why exactly? It's a cheap addition to the Playstation family, it has its niche and should help Vita software growth.

Only an idiot wouldn't realize if you're in the market for a media box your money is better spent elsewhere. A second hand PS3 is even better for starts. For the PS fans it's a non budget breaking add on to play your PS+ Vita games that go to waste if you don't own a Vita, or if you want a cheap PS4 multiroom option. You know, 2 PS4s aren't exactly cheap.

For those with a Vita it's a way to play their library of games on their TV when at home.

Even though it only does 720p while  the fact this basically allows me to have my PS4 on another TV in my house without actually purchasing another PS4 is the sole reason I will be purchasing one. Especially since it will not happen that often, and even though I will also have the option of just remote playing right on my Vita itself, that functionality will no doubt come in handy for those nights my wife wants to watch TV on the main TV yet I want to play something from the PS4 on a big screen. Sure, it would have been ideal if it was 1080p, but I will take 720p no doubt.

Other features like being able to play Vita games on my TV, hell, I will take that as well and actually see that as an added bonus, although I do know Sony is touting that as the main feature.