Playstation Vita TV announced, play Vita titles on TV/multiroom for PS4

This isn't being sold as a media box, it's a PS Vita first and foremost.

It's not really competing with Apple TV, sure it can do media, and Apple TV does that better, but Apple TV doesn't play games, at all. This is a gaming peripheral first and fore most, just like the PS4, or, duh, the portable PS Vita.

The main audience? People who want to play PS Vita games on their TV, hence, Vita TV. Vita doesn't do 5.1 audio, 1080p, have 5 different media apps, support MKV/Blu Ray rips, etc. If those are your main requirements what are you doing thinking about this device? Every functionality on top of playing PS Vita games is an afterthought, and one probably heavily pressured by pricing and the size of the box.

Exactly!  As I said before, Sony is not pushing this as a media streaming device that also plays Vita games.  Its a device to play Vita games that also has some media features.

So regardless of what people may WANT it to be, we really need to take Sony's marketing words to heart when evaluating this device.  It seems to happen far too often that people want to bas a device because it doesn't fall into the area of what they think it should be, even when the company goes out of its way to say its not the main focus.  Reminds me of people attacking MS for not 'focusing' on gaming compared to Sony after they bend over backwards proving that to be incorrect.

Even though it only does 720p while  the fact this basically allows me to have my PS4 on another TV in my house without actually purchasing another PS4 is the sole reason I will be purchasing one. Especially since it will not happen that often, and even though I will also have the option of just remote playing right on my Vita itself, that functionality will no doubt come in handy for those nights my wife wants to watch TV on the main TV yet I want to play something from the PS4 on a big screen. Sure, it would have been ideal if it was 1080p, but I will take 720p no doubt.

Other features like being able to play Vita games on my TV, hell, I will take that as well and actually see that as an added bonus, although I do know Sony is touting that as the main feature. 

I agree, something is better than nothing.  If the only thing this was used for was to play Vita games, $99 is still a great deal compared to the price of the handheld. 

Now we still need to find out what games will not work, since they said not all will, but I would hope there would be a large percentage that are compatible. 720p and stereo audio are fine for Vita games since that's all you got on the handheld.  It sucks if you want to use the PS4 remote feature though.

Does this require a PS Vita to play PS Vita games?

No it does not.  You can buy Vita games and play them on this device.  Or you can purchase Vita/PSP/PS1 games digitally and play them on this device. 

The only limitation regarding Vita games seems to be support.  Not all games will be compatible.  So we will see how big the library is for it.

No it does not.  You can buy Vita games and play them on this device.  Or you can purchase Vita/PSP/PS1 games digitally and play them on this device. 

The only limitation regarding Vita games seems to be support.  Not all games will be compatible.  So we will see how big the library is for it.

Interesting...

This could also be tempting for anyone who has had PS+ for a while and built up a library of Vita games. It gives them a lower cost alternative to playing some of those games compared to having to buy a Vita.

Like Larry, i may pick one up down the line just for the PS4 remote play feature. Would have been great if it was 1080p but seeing at the older TV i have upstairs is only 720p it wouldn't matter to me.

This could also be tempting for anyone who has had PS+ for a while and built up a library of Vita games. It gives them a lower cost alternative to playing some of those games compared to having to buy a Vita.

Like Larry, i may pick one up down the line just for the PS4 remote play feature. Would have been great if it was 1080p but seeing at the older TV i have upstairs is only 720p it wouldn't matter to me.

Yeah actually, I did not even think about it, but now that you mention it, the TV I would use it for is also just 720p as well (technically 1080i too), so really does not matter all that much. Good point. (Y)

Do people really want to play vita games on their tv? I mean, some vita games are even lower res than wii games so they'll look quite hideous hooked up to the typical 1080p display.

I do...

im pretty intrigued by this device as well. i have an old 720p tv in our family room that's only use is for OTA. i'm considering this device for use w/ that tv. i can play games on it if i want, but also get the bonus of watching Netflix.

at the end of the day, though, i'm rather happy w/ my Vita and still play it regularly. i think it's an amazing handheld.

I really like their vision with all the devices working together/always connected to friends and your console at home, but this still doesn't fix the Vita's biggest issue: the lack of system sellers.

Would probably pick one up in a sale for the streaming capability, if it ever comes to EU.

Here is a hands on impression of this in action:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/19/4747112/hands-on-with-the-ps-vita-tv-a-little-box-with-a-lot-of-diversity

I think it sounds like a great way to play Vita games since it sounds like they translate well to the big screen.

The big minus seems to be with the ps4 remote play function.   The reviewer commented that the visual degradation was very noticeable, not simply a slight step back, so this may not be acceptable to some planning to use it for that.