A fake "stop downloading music illegally" letter?

Is the dude TOTALLY illiterate and you can't show/teach him how to watch the videos himself?

He has no computer, and he wants me to rip the music videos on YouTube and sync them to his Windows Phone. He'd have no clue.

Play stupid, rip a bunch of classical music/borked tracks/inconsistent volume/random tracks and he should get the hint.

Failing that, send yourself the letter, show him the received letter, act totally scared and ask him help you compose a reply seeing as he's been in court himself in the past ;)

Play stupid, rip a bunch of classical music/borked tracks/inconsistent volume/random tracks and he should get the hint.

Failing that, send yourself the letter, show him the received letter, act totally scared and ask him help you compose a reply seeing as he's been in court himself in the past ;)

No, the issue is that he is in my room for literally hours and hours and he's the sort of person it's almost impossible to get rid of. I have to act like I like these soul songs from the 80s -_-

just a thought.

if he's been in jail for 15 years, do you actually think a letter is going to scare him off?

No, but he knows I don't like to get illegal stuff. If he sees this letter, he'll know I can no longer do it because he won't want me in trouble with the police.

No, but he knows I don't like to get illegal stuff. If he sees this letter, he'll know I can no longer do it because he won't want me in trouble with the police.

One in a million I'd say.  I don't know ANYONE against downloading or doing SOMETHING illegal.

One in a million I'd say.  I don't know ANYONE against downloading or doing SOMETHING illegal.

this is why you always appear to know less than you really do.. 

Mate, I've avoided him for the 6 months I've been here as much as I can. He's still managed to sneak in 3 times, each time staying for 3+ hours. I know I sound like a pushover, I really know, but it's a hard situation to explain. He asks every time he sees me and it's stopping me even wanting to leave my room to use the communal kitchen in case he "catches" me in there. He's the type that talks forever and NEVER takes ANY hints. He just pushes and pushes.

He knows I don't download illegal movies etc. (he's asked) so this letter should stop him asking me for the music.

Mate, I've avoided him for the 6 months I've been here as much as I can. He's still managed to sneak in 3 times, each time staying for 3+ hours. I know I sound like a pushover, I really know, but it's a hard situation to explain. He asks every time he sees me and it's stopping me even wanting to leave my room to use the communal kitchen in case he "catches" me in there. He's the type that talks forever and NEVER takes ANY hints. He just pushes and pushes.

He knows I don't download illegal movies etc. (he's asked) so this letter should stop him asking me for the music.

Tell him that your computer died.. 

Tell him that your computer died.. 

He knows I'd struggle without my computer and knows it'd be up and running quickly. Besides, this would only work for a few days, a week or two at the most. I told him the Internet had died (all I did was disable the Wi-Fi card and show him the "Page can not be displayed" page) and he believed that. Again though, that can only last for no more than a couple of weeks before he'd realise. Yet does he get the hint? Of course not. Not him. He doesn't take any hints.

I needed something more permanent and now I have figured it out :)

Cheers again, everyone!

He knows I'd struggle without my computer and knows it'd be up and running quickly. Besides, this would only work for a few days, a week or two at the most. I told him the Internet had died (all I did was disable the Wi-Fi card and show him the "Page can not be displayed" page) and he believed that. Again though, that can only last for no more than a couple of weeks before he'd realise. Yet does he get the hint? Of course not. Not him. He doesn't take any hints.

I needed something more permanent and now I have figured it out :)

Cheers again, everyone!

awesome Good Luck!

Dude, just say "Hey, look - I'm not cool with downloading music. I got my own stuff to do and it doesn't involve illegally ripping music off."

I started off being nice, letting him grab some music, but he always overstayed his welcome and took zero hints from me or my partner. I was nice at first because after all, it's a shared house and tension is horrible. But then he kept asking and asking and I ended up constantly having to plan excuses and now I just avoid leaving the room unless I have to in case I bump into him. It's awful.

I haven't said things like those you suggested because the house tension would be even worse :/

Tell him to do one! If he gets violent just call the police, with his history of prison he'll be back inside in no time.

Then download Iron Man 3 and kick back with a beer!

I've always wanted to avoid tension in the house. It really is a horrible thing to have - but then again so was how he made me feel living here. I think this letter solves it both.

Dude, you complicate your own situations.  Just say "No mate, I don't wanna do this anymore - I work with computers all day, the last thing I wanna do is come home and do more, for you for free.  I did you a favour but you took it too far. I tried to drop hints that I had other things to do and they flew straight past you."

Don't make "hints", don't be subtle, be upfront - he probably doesn't even know.  If it creates tension then so be it - I'd rather be alpha and be the source of tension than beta and end up doing things I have no desire to do.

Trying to help, as ever :)

• Like 2

Dude, you complicate your own situations.  Just say "No mate, I don't wanna do this anymore - I work with computers all day, the last thing I wanna do is come home and do more, for you for free.  I did you a favour but you took it too far. I tried to drop hints that I had other things to do and they flew straight past you."

Don't make "hints", don't be subtle, be upfront - he probably doesn't even know.  If it creates tension then so be it - I'd rather be alpha and be the source of tension than beta and end up doing things I have no desire to do.

Trying to help, as ever :)

Being confrontational doesn't work for everyone, not everyone has the personality to pull it off.

Being confrontational doesn't work for everyone, not everyone has the personality to pull it off.

Fair comment.  But let's not misunderstand, confrontation and aggression are two separate things.  I confront people and problems but am rarely aggressive.  My point being that the guy just needs to be told - there's a chance (seeing as he is not reacting to hints) that he genuinely has no idea.

:)

Dear Sir/Maddam

We don't know who you are. We don't know what you want. If you are looking for music you can download off youtube we don?t have that. But what we do have are a very particular set of skills; skills we have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make us a nightmare for people like you. If you stop downloading music off youtube, that will be the end of it. We will not look for you, we will not pursue you. But if you don't, we will look for you, we will find you, and we will kill you.

Kind regards

The YouTube? Team

Can't you just install one of those youtube video downloading things on his windows phone so he can get the music by himself? Or tell him that "after the last youtube update they blocked music downloads" or stuff like that?

If you're too afraid to confront him, you might as well just buy him a Zune Pass (sorry, Xbox Music Pass?) and call it a day.

Tell him you hacked his phone and now he can get all the free music he wants.

Sounds like a mountain being made out of a mole hill.

And seriously grow a pair and talk to the guy, you make him out to be this bullying animal, yet you seem to have divulged plenty of information about yourself and your activitys to him.

Lastly if its become such a problem and you cant even tell him you wont download some music, then wtf else are you going to live in fear of him over?

Say he stops wanting music, then starts wanting something else?

Sorry but if you cant reason and or communicate with this man without ###### bricks or being fearful of him then move away!!

Its your home and your rules, likewise if he trys ANYTHING, hes the one with the "past", he`s the one who WILL be arrested.

It's easy to tell someone else, somewhere else in the world to confront someone. The OP didn't solicit advice about dealing with this person, he asked for help in creating a fake letter.

It's easy to tell someone else, somewhere else in the world to confront someone. The OP didn't solicit advice about dealing with this person, he asked for help in creating a fake letter.

Because the situation is so ridiculous no one can believe how much worse he is making it!

What if he gives him the letter and then says to do it anyway! He's in the same situation, just don't beat around the bush and tell him to f**k off