Linux mint is an annoying ********

I hate to break it to you, but the issues you have on fairly standard PC hardware do point at some kind of hardware failure.

i will try to get the hdd checker running. my hdd is the oldest piece in that pc. bought in 2007 and run quite long and often. but never failed me. the other hardware is now ca. 2 years old, probably even under warranty. cant really believe this is failing already.

lxle takes approx tripple the time to get on an usb device than linux mint did. now, in retrospective, mint was a bit too fast on my usb device. so lets see..

I'm using Ubuntu Server 13.04, if anything, starting from scratch on an Ubuntu is a lot easier than Linux Mint because Ubuntu has much better support from the creators AND the community.

Mint has been running great for months now. I have had zero problems with it on my HP laptop. I know of a bug in the OS but it is not a bug that affects performance.

Same here. No issues with Mint for me. Can't think of any bugs in Cinnamon that have affected me either. I've been pretty happy with how well Mint has run. I've been tempted to switch to Elementary at home, but I hesitate to mess up something that runs so well. Haven't tried the MATE version though.

Try Fedora instead.

I agree with Meph, if you want stability and good performance stick with either Fedora or Debian

(i tend to stay away from ubuntu distros atm as i don't agree with the direction the company is going [also unity if not very well optimized])

installed smartctl with graphical addon gsmartcontrol. however, there is no way to read the smart status when having booted the live version of lxle... finds 3 unknown models i say view details it writes "no adeditional information available for this device..."

however lxle seems to run stable. thats all i need to have. will install it now and hope for the very best.

trying to boot lxle. what can i say. propa failure! it ends with a command prompt and fails to login. i know its because its the 32 bit version - i had similar issues with elementary and 64bit version fixed it. still. why?!?!?! i just have no tolerance for such ######.

you know. my day started with me just wanting to print out a few pages for university. this was at 09:00 or so in the morning. if i would have known it still wont be finished over 10 (TEN!!!!!!) hours later i just could have shot me dead. such things are expected if you wanna do some exotic stuff. but not basic tasks. this all went well and easy 2 or 3 years ago. i just dont understand it.

trying to boot lxle. what can i say. propa failure! it ends with a command prompt and fails to login. i know its because its the 32 bit version - i had similar issues with elementary and 64bit version fixed it. still. why?!?!?! i just have no tolerance for such ****.

That sounds hardware related. My computer boots 32 and 64 equally well but I usually use 32 because I have only 2 GB of RAM.

yes it seems hardware related. afair it was because of my mainboard and the onboard graphic unit. however, i still have no words for it why they dont just program a working driver/solution for it. ubuntu works even in 32 bit.  i start to get really really fed up with it. either having faulty 32bit or running working 64 bit but have to download 32 bit libraries for every little ######. i ended with a non bootable 64bit of elementary this morning after having installed 32 bit libraries for my printer, brother hl-2130. :angry:

yeh if money was no issue i would just ditch all my current hardware and buy me a new pc. but the hardware i have is fine. its software related i am sure about this.

I Dont get any error messages. System just stops. As it did again. I fear now it could be the hdd. I have smart enabled in BIOS. Any Tool for Linux to check hdd health? Meanwhile downloading Linux mint again

Ever try disabling it?

yes it seems hardware related. afair it was because of my mainboard and the onboard graphic unit. however, i still have no words for it why they dont just program a working driver/solution for it. ubuntu works even in 32 bit.  i start to get really really fed up with it. either having faulty 32bit or running working 64 bit but have to download 32 bit libraries for every little ****. i ended with a non bootable 64bit of elementary this morning after having installed 32 bit libraries for my printer, brother hl-2130. :angry:

yeh if money was no issue i would just ditch all my current hardware and buy me a new pc. but the hardware i have is fine. its software related i am sure about this.

Good god, are you stubborn or what.

Multiple Linux distributions failing to work properly on what is standard hardware does point towards a hardware issue. Check your hardware, see if Windows will install - chances are it's going to fail as well. 

Why do you think installing LXLE doesn't work? Your hard drive is f***ed. Simple as that.

For your information, I've been using PCs since 1983 and work in IT. I have slightly more experience than you do.

• Like 2

also sometimes the drive doesn't report the SMART data correctly and it just says things are fine all the signs point to a dying hard drive

i dont care about your pc experience. either you help or not. i dont care for your insults. installing windows is no option because its not a high end system and i dont even have a legal license.

as soon as i can have a working tool on linux making it possible to check the smart status of my hdd i will. then we can see if its ok or not. i will even post a screenshot for all the non believers here.

as above, i also think it could be the hdd. but then why the live system works just fine?! not just booting but also being able to install and running programs. this is the thing i dont get.

Why is everyone in this thread posting things that make no sense at all???

Seems pretty obvious to me that its either the graphics hardware or graphics driver that's the issue here. You said this happens when you launch the web browser? Most web browsers use the graphics card for direct rendering, so it would make sense that it would die at that point. You also said you used some other distro that couldn't even start X and dropped you into a shell.

What graphics hardware are you running? And what driver are you using?

Why is everyone in this thread posting things that make no sense at all???

Seems pretty obvious to me that its either the graphics hardware or graphics driver that's the issue here. You said this happens when you launch the web browser? Most web browsers use the graphics card for direct rendering, so it would make sense that it would die at that point. You also said you used some other distro that couldn't even start X and dropped you into a shell.

What graphics hardware are you running? And what driver are you using?

this is as much as the system info tool live bootet is willing to give - again its not crashing here! (like all apps in live distro works just fine)

amd athlon x2 250

4gb memory

hdd is a western digital wd3200aajs-0 (320gb)

mainboard is asrock n68-s3 ucc (if you google this together with linux problems you ll probably find the 32bit bug i am talkig about - and this is NOT my mistake - blame asrock or linux programers but not me!)

imho bios is the latest ver 9/19/2011 p.1.60

thats all.

this is as much as the system info tool live bootet is willing to give - again its not crashing here! (like all apps in live distro works just fine)

amd athlon x2 250

4gb memory

hdd is a western digital wd3200aajs-0 (320gb)

mainboard is asrock n68-s3 ucc (if you google this together with linux problems you ll probably find the 32bit bug i am talkig about - and this is NOT my mistake - blame asrock or linux programers but not me!)

imho bios is the latest ver 9/19/2011 p.1.60

thats all.

So you have a NVIDIA GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a integrated graphics... try the closed source driver rather than the open source. The closed source driver will you give actual graphical acceleration, the open source driver will do enough to "make it work". But I'm guessing there is a bug in the open source driver/something that isn't implemented that causes a problem with this particular model.

Edit: Looks like this is your problem: http://askubuntu.com/questions/131508/12-04-and-nvidia-card-problem-with-nvidia-geforce-7025

i know that here is a difference between open and closed source drivers. i also know that in older ubuntu and the latest elementary os version you could chose between these 2. since i am not a gamer i could not care less tho. it just has 2 work. i will google later on to prove that its not just me making things up imho it was somethig with that onboard gpu not bein supported with 32bit linux systems. however, it WAS indeed running fine with older ubuntu versions so i really start to wonder - they might have just DELETED the support driver out of it for what? i know its not supernew and up2date but its also not that old. idiots really!

So why don't you just go back to what worked? You seem quite determined to prove that it's not your fault that things aren't working, when no one said it was in the first place. You're not collecting or posting anything useful like logs, you're just jumping around back and forth and whining and throwing your hands in the air. You say it's not a hardware issue, but yet you acknowledge several hardware issues. Updates to drivers CAN (and unfortunately frequently do) break things, so yes, something that worked before COULD be broken now, try an older version. I sometimes have to try a number of graphics drivers, proprietary and open source before I can find one that works perfectly, or close enough in Linux.

You aren't paying attention to what anyone is saying who is trying to help you, instead you just seem determined to prove how nothing is your fault over and over repeatedly. fatbeerguy wasn't telling you there are open and closed source drivers just for your information, he was saying to try the other one. It's not about gaming and getting performance, it's about finding one that works properly. Gaming in Linux is always an "if you're lucky" type situation unless you buy hardware specifically known to work.

I second the earlier suggestion. Just use Windows, it'll be a lot easier for you.

• Like 2

Been running mint 13 mate on 2 IBM Thinkpad T43's and no issues. Linux or any os doesn't just freeze out of the blue. it is more than likely a hardware issue. try Gparted as it comes with mint and have it check your partitions. You could try parted magic to check your ram and hdd. Also, did you verify the iso with the provided md5/sha1 checksum?if you check it then you'll know for sure that what you downloaded is the correct one. try Hashcheck http://code.kliu.org/hashcheck/ . it will allow you to verify checksums. On linux you could try gtkhash http://gtkhash.sourceforge.net/ . it's similar to hashcheck for windows.

So why don't you just go back to what worked? You seem quite determined to prove that it's not your fault that things aren't working, when no one said it was in the first place. You're not collecting or posting anything useful like logs, you're just jumping around back and forth and whining and throwing your hands in the air. You say it's not a hardware issue, but yet you acknowledge several hardware issues. Updates to drivers CAN (and unfortunately frequently do) break things, so yes, something that worked before COULD be broken now, try an older version. I sometimes have to try a number of graphics drivers, proprietary and open source before I can find one that works perfectly, or close enough in Linux.

You aren't paying attention to what anyone is saying who is trying to help you, instead you just seem determined to prove how nothing is your fault over and over repeatedly. fatbeerguy wasn't telling you there are open and closed source drivers just for your information, he was saying to try the other one. It's not about gaming and getting performance, it's about finding one that works properly. Gaming in Linux is always an "if you're lucky" type situation unless you buy hardware specifically known to work.

I second the earlier suggestion. Just use Windows, it'll be a lot easier for you.

Exactly if you read the URL I posted: http://askubuntu.com/questions/131508/12-04-and-nvidia-card-problem-with-nvidia-geforce-7025 it its obviously the issue he is facing.. all he has to do is try the the driver that is supposed to fix it. If that doesn't work see if the open source driver doesn't have this problem. Otherwise you're screwed unless you just use shell/command line only, use Windows, or buy a newer cheap nvidia card that doesn't have this problem.

Edit: Why are people still saying its hardware etc? THE NVIDIA DRIVER HE IS USING DOSENT WORK WITH THE GRAPHICS CARD HE HAS ITS NOT A HARDWARE PROBLEM