AOL Sues M$ Over Browser!

"WASHINGTON (AP) - AOL Time Warner sued Microsoft in federal court Tuesday over AOL's Netscape Internet browser, which ruled computer desktops until Microsoft began giving its competing browser away.

Many of Microsoft's business practices, including ones in which the company encouraged computer manufacturers and Internet providers to distribute its Web browser instead of Netscape, were found to be anticompetitive by a federal appeals court last year. AOL, which now owns Netscape, wants Microsoft to cease its contested business practices and pay damages.

AOL executive John Buckley noted the court ruling and said, ``This action is an attempt to get justice in this matter.''

AOL filed the lawsuit in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia. Under federal law, AOL would be entitled to triple any actual damages found by the court."

go to:

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20020122/t...netscape_2.html

for more details!

-JJ

** If anyone can take on MS, it's gotta be AOL ** :cool:

hehehe - maybe my position seems a bit misleading ... I don't support AOL or use their service (besides IM), I'm just looking at it from a legal point of view. Since MS was found guilty but basically were let go, I'm not too sure the States' suit(s) will get too far. What this does is let AOL use the DOJ ruling as ammo to possibly gain damages and gives the States' suit(s) some more ammo and a more realistic chance of coming to light. Basically I want to see M$ lose in court. No one's been able to reeeaaally punish them pal , and if it's going to be someone to beat em in court, why not AOL? Wouldn't you want a Windows product that allowed you to choose your browser instead of being forced? Some care, some don't. I think AOL might have a chance to recoup some losses (not that I think they need any more money)...if they have the $$$ and the will to take on MS - more power to 'em....

That's all I was sayin pal!

- JJ

This is just a case of two evil corperations fighting. Dosn't matter who wins because it's not going to benifit the customers. If i had to choose though i'd go for microsoft simply because AOL is trying to push a crappy browser that lost out because it stood still for years while ie was updated. :right:

Originally posted by Ghostdraconi

This is just a case of two evil corperations fighting. Dosn't matter who wins because it's not going to benifit the customers. If i had to choose though i'd go for microsoft simply because AOL is trying to push a crappy browser that lost out because it stood still for years while ie was updated. :right:

:bandit: good point .... but is Microsoft really the lesser of the two evils? hmmmm..... :ponder:

- JJ

Originally posted by Vinh

I hate anyone who stands against microsoft :devious:

Microsoft rules! :)

Hope you aren't referring to me ... :hurt:

I was just trying to bring in an interesting twist in the growing battle between AOL, MS, and the DoJ .... sorry...

- JJ :(

Originally posted by hareball82

mods - maybe toss this on the front page? ;)

EDIT - oh yeah, i almost forgot... AOL sucks, Netscape sucks, IE sucks, Mozilla owns all! :D

For your information - Mozilla IS Netscape without the extra baggage so if Netscape sucks, so does Mozilla.

Mozilla is updated more often simply because every build is released to the public. Netscape (like most other software companies) only releases some builds to the public - i.e.: the builds that Netscape feels offer a better stability to performance ratio.

Originally posted by hareball82

mods - maybe toss this on the front page? ;)

EDIT - oh yeah, i almost forgot... AOL sucks, Netscape sucks, IE sucks, Mozilla owns all! :D

Mozilla is an AOL product. You got a good popup blocker that works for this hareball?

Originally posted by Toxikk

Mozilla is an AOL product. You got a good popup blocker that works for this hareball?

No it isn't - Mozilla is an open source product that anyone can work on - I considered contributing but decided against it because I have no talent. Basically. Netscape 6.x is based off Mozilla and it is an AOL product. But there really is no reason to use it. It's out of date compared to Mozilla and carries more crap. Netscape 1-4 were good for their times. Netscape 6 isn't much cop.

I'm usually happy for people to sue M$ but this sounds petty. Still, I don't mind both of these companies pouring money down the drain to their lawyers.

lol @ AOL trying to sue M$, look at aol, they advertise on thousands of websites and tonnes on tv, they control a larger market (except browser and software market) than ms does (magazines, tv, internet), so thats just stupid lol, down with aohell :evil: and mozilla rulez although it reminds me of netscape

Originally posted by comet

they need to have0r this on courtTV

lol

"have0r" ? OMFG, pretty soon 1337speak will be common practice in everyday english... :roll::cross::cheeky:

Originally posted by Toxikk

you are kidding right? heh heh

WTF? Microsoft 0wnz0rz me! :D

[edit] /me ponders his previous post after he writes that last line[/edit]