Miss America crowns 1st winner of Indian descent; racist tweets flow

One would have hoped. But the internet, love her or hate her, has provided every idiot and bigot with the ability to express their poorly thought out opinion.

Sigh, I guess so. I always think of this:

?We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak.?

? Albert Einstein
  • Like 3

I've been to America(and many americans been here), and I've noticed. With most americans, racism is part of their culture. Looking down on anything that isn't you (white usually). Either against blacks or Mexicans and since the last decade or so, muslims.

Saying I'm the ignorant one, while you obviously have not spoken to a lot of Muricans, cause you'd find out, more then half of the Muricans are racists. Which makes it the democratic majority.

Time and time again, americans that come here are surprised we don't have those ghetto issues or Texan mumbo-jumbo. And that we (western) Europeans don't seem to give a rats ass (in general) about the origin of a person.

Even your American 'N*gger' bull, where if I say that word as a white boy, the chances of me getting shot, stabbed or beaten to a pulp are very, very high in most American cities. While here the worst I get is some bloke staring at me and telling me to go f*ck myself.

And everyone acting like America is not racist and its the obvious minority doing this, stop being a left winged hippie and stop ignoring issues in your country. If you keep ignoring it and not notice what the rest of the world obviously sees... The American race problem is NEVER going anywhere.

1. Having been to America hardly qualifies you as an expert on American culture.

2. Using the term Muricans is not intelligent.  It is lame, plain and simple.

3. Claiming "more then half of the Muricans are racists", any source to back up such an extraordinary statement?

4. "a left winged hippie", I have never seen anything like that.  Stop with the name calling.

Racism does exist in America.  We have large numbers of people working to educate and change this very sad fact that plagues our country.  To believe otherwise is as narrow minded as those attacking Nina Davuluri.

I often wonder whether these tweets are sincere or if it is just trolls ****ing with the mainstream. I am sure there are some uncultured, red-neck, hill-billy types who bash away at their keyboard, but surely they are in the minority and don't really represent a general attitude. Given the content of some of those tweets, it is hard to believe they are serious.

I am going to be pessimistic about it. I think these tweets are genuine: there are some people who have bigoted and twisted views, who are not afraid to express them because they believe can get away with it. These people believe that they are no consequences, that a social network account is a good mask behind which they can hide safely.

On one hand, some people on the medias can get away with even more outrageous comments, sometimes they are even rewarded for them. On the other hand, a twitter account is something that can be easily disposed of.

So, what are the risks of being a total douche online?

On a more optimistic side, I believe that these people are a minority but the power of the internet makes that just a little spark on one end becomes a huge wildfire 14 minutes later.

Put it this way, everyone knows it when they see an idiot on the street swearing as part of the normal conversation if you gave that person the internet, they would post rubbish like this.  That's all thats happened, the world hasn't become more racist (in fact, I believe it has got less so), it's just that the internet is now used by those types now as well.

You just have to shake your head and move on, same as you do as if you heard it in the street.  Shame though that the press seems to amplify the views of the minority sometimes, but that's what makes news I guess.

Put it this way, everyone knows it when they see an idiot on the street swearing as part of the normal conversation if you gave that person the internet, they would post rubbish like this.  That's all thats happened, the world hasn't become more racist (in fact, I believe it has got less so), it's just that the internet is now used by those types now as well.

You just have to shake your head and move on, same as you do as if you heard it in the street.  Shame though that the press seems to amplify the views of the minority sometimes, but that's what makes news I guess.

You're on to something there, the media wants this kind of stuff to keep happening, like the recent shootings that cancelled the bball game, or the despicable acts of an animal (Sandy Hook)

The list goes on.

Some have said the media should bury the story or at the very least not give it the publicity they do.

Would be copycats look at the news coverage, and then get ideas he went on to say

I do think this is kinda what happened here, someone said something, and the clowns all jumped on the bandwagon

(I still stand by what I've posted in this thread previous, now I've had time to go away and think about it, I've had a chance to cool off a little)

Pure nonsense and very ignorant.  Yes there are racists and bigots in America, but they are not the majority, far from it.

Blatant racists are not the majority. I'd say 70/30. During National elections 55/45. Non-Racists/Racist. Nothing scientific, just my personal evaluations. That includes all races and all directions of racism.

You have to remember, not everyone lives in a metro. America is huge! Over a hundred million (my guess) don't see diversity in their lifetime if they don't go away to college. Poor people can spend their entire life in a 2-5 mile radius. It hasn't even been a full lifetime since blacks couldn't drink out of the same water fountain with whites or sit at a public lunch counter. Let's see about 45-50 years if you go back to the sixties. Many in their 20s then are still alive, as are the youngins raised that way back then. We've come so far in a short period of time, people forget that it wasn't "that" long ago. We still have a long way to go, but we have come very far, very quickly.

While I think there probably are a LOT of unhappy people, particularly the senior set, racism is the wrong word, its Nationalism. Though, she is American. I think that's where this gets confused with racism I guess.

I am probably being sexist but this white boy finds the new Miss America really hot!

Haha, she looks nice, but I think I prefer the blurred Asian in the back. I have to admit, I have a Lucy Liu fetish.

I am probably being sexist but this white boy finds the new Miss America really hot!

rs_293x473-130915202834-634.NinaDavuluri

No, sexist would have been if you said something like, why isn't she naked, in your kitchen, cooking and bringing you a beer.

Just so you know, here at neowin We frown on such behaviour!

Haha, she looks nice, but I think I prefer the blurred Asian in the back. I have to admit, I have a Lucy Liu fetish.

Oh, I'd be all over Lucy.  :laugh:

But really, as a West Indian, shout out to all the East Indians. I don't believe why people think the USA alone counts as America. I thought America was a continent.

LOL, what's this disgusting desperation of looking friendly multicultural these days. It's even made fun of in GTA.

Let me pick a "different" winner so we look like we appeal to everyone, +++ ratings. She should also be a lesbian, maybe with some sort of handicap to further promote "friendliness".

Yes, there are still a few bigots out there - greatly magnified in their apparent volume by the media and internet while the rest of us are living quietly integrated lives. Our future daughter in law is of Nigerian ancestry, a grandson is 1/4 black and 1/4 hispanic and on a larger scale 2 US states, Louisiana and South Carolina, have Indian-American Governors. Both Southern, both deeply conservative.

Bigotry comes in many forms, not all of it racial. Some of it comes from those with political points to make being boorish boo-birds on the internet.

• Like 2

LOL, what's this disgusting desperation of looking friendly multicultural these days. It's even made fun of in GTA.

Let me pick a "different" winner so we look like we appeal to everyone, +++ ratings. She should also be a lesbian, maybe with some sort of handicap to further promote "friendliness".

So you don't like people of different cultures, races, religion?

• Like 1

So you don't like people of different cultures, races, religion?

I may be wrong but I think SiCKX is exercising his usual dry sarcasm. :)

• Like 3

Disgusting but nothing surprising actually.

The woman I read is a U.S.A. citizen born n bred in the U.S.A. and is a practising Hindu.

I read on teletext (bskb) she was threatened with death, called a Muslim and also that Obama voted for her.

I personally do not understand why their are such competitions, however some of the loot she won she is using to pay to go through medical school.

I wonder if the racists will choose to not seek medical attention from here if they were about to die.

• Like 2

I find the biggest issue in most cultures for Racism is knowledge and Media.

Most of the people I have met which are racist, have never spent any time with the people they are so against, or they get their views from Friends/Family. Not everybody in this situation are racist but the below about the media will cause it. 

The media has brought the Race card out so many times in the programming to drum up numbers its not funny. They report on the non important issues and report that is because of race. This breads hatred on the other side. If a white guy gets shot by a black, its because he was white, which it probably wasn't, this will cause the whites to dislike the blacks, then they report the opposite. After a while people are shooting each other because of race and it is because the media bread the hatred.

Ignorance is not racism, but ignorance causes racism. If the USA or any other county wants to work on their Racism they need to work on the ignorance. Start teaching culture in school, increase funding in schools. Then start doing studies on the media and its affect towards racism and education. Push this.

As for whoever wrote about the living standards of the Aboriginals in Australia. That is not Racism, it is the inability of the people to work towards having a better standard of living. There is Racism towards them but it is not causing their living standards issue.

• Like 3

Yeah because a video of edited together clips should be considered representative of the entire country.

I did not watch the video. Why? Because you say that it sums up America.  Stop putting all Americans or anyone else in the same category.  The actions of some do not represent the whole.  Racism and stupidity is everywhere.  It is like saying all Germans are Nazis and all the Irish are drunks.  Its dumb assed strereotypes like this that are a big problem in this world.

The point being that a lot of Americans are aggressive to the rest of the world and indifferent races but a select few when asked think Australia is North Korea and Tasmania was South Korea? (ref: video)

The moral of the story is they live in their own little bubble and think they're some original race that actually created the lands they are living on and feel their ways are the only ways and want to challenge anything or anyone that doesn't do it their way yet the majority of them have no idea about the countries or cultures they're against.

This girl was born and raised in America and the title is Miss America and she has every right to win the competition/event.

They should've at least stereotyped her right. They called her Muslim when 70% of Indian population is Hindu. 

India is not an Arab country lol.

my 2c, that they're stereotyped by Pakistan which +90% Muslim, and Pakistan did share the same ancestry with Indian, and share similar appearance as the genuine Indian.