Windows sharing woes

Go to solution Solved by John.D,

Question

Lord Method Man

Ok, so I have a Windows 7 machine I want to use a Media Server for my rips. What I want to do is have a folder on it shared over the network that anyone can read from without a password. Here is how I have its Sharing settings configured:

15mix6t.png

And here is how the Folder's share settings are configured:

2qk1cie.png

But this is what happens when I try to access the folder from my laptop (also running Windows 7).

wmbhia.png

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've set up sharing on a Windows Server machine before but that was with password protected accounts.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the first time I tried to access the folder from my laptop I was prompted for a Username/Password. The account on the server has no password so I just entered the Username for that machine and tried it, and I got the above Error.

12 answers to this question

John.D

What if you select the top sharing option (not advanced) then add everyone then select read?

Darrian

Maybe not desirable, but you might try Plex Media Server.  It's pretty awesome.  I've run into your problem a lot, the only way I was ever able to "fix" it was to enter the credentials of a user on the system you're sharing from.

Lord Method Man

What if you select the top sharing option (not advanced) then add everyone then select read?

That did it, now I can access it on my laptop.

I don't know why but I was always told to disable Sharing Wizard/Simple Sharing, at least back when I was setting up my 2008 File Server. Seems like shares are always a headache.

articuno1au

Go to the security tab -> Edit -> Add -> "Everyone" -> Read.

Fixed.

EDIT:: Sorry about that. Bit late >.<

Lord Method Man

Fixed.

I'll try that later too, the Share still isn't visible to by WD TV Live media box.

John.D

That did it, now I can access it on my laptop.

I don't know why but I was always told to disable Sharing Wizard/Simple Sharing, at least back when I was setting up my 2008 File Server. Seems like shares are always a headache.

Sweet good to hear that fixed it. In XP the wizard was useless, I never used it. Because it never worked. I found that a lot of people used to use (well tried to use) the wizard and found out the same thing. It didnt do anything lol.

It was easier to right mouse on the folder then share it (in Pro anyway). Once you ticked simple file sharing in the options in my computer (under tools folder options / view)

articuno1au

Yeah, I've always used the Advanced Sharing tool. More reliable that way :)

Lord Method Man

Yeah, I've always used the Advanced Sharing tool. More reliable that way :)

Me too, but not without a password. No idea what the difference is or why it wasn't working in this case.

Lord Method Man

Fixed.

Played around with it again last night. I disabled the Sharing Wizard and used Advanced Sharing like I originally tried, only this time I added "Everyone" under permissions before sharing it, and it worked great again.

The Evil Overlord

Although answered, I noticed media streaming is off, if you turn it on, you can get to another window that allows specific devices access to your media that way also

Lord Method Man

Yeah I've been using DLNA already but Id rather just use network sharing because media streaming has some issues with the SMP Im using.

• Like 1
The Evil Overlord

Oh, that brings me to another thing, if streaming to a ps3 you'll need to clear and rebuild your media cache from time to time, otherwise it becomes unusable,

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player, (you'll need to shut down wmpnetwk.exe from task manager to delete the folder)

• Like 1
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By News Staff
      Save up to 90% off the Power User PC Software Bundle
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deal comes via our Apps + Software section of the Neowin Deals store, where for only a limited time, you can save up to 90% off the Power User PC Software Bundle. Recover data, erase sensitive files and convert audio/video files with these highly-rated software for Windows.

This bundle consists of the following items:

Stellar Data Recovery Standard: 3-Yr Subscription
      Retrieve Deleted Data from Windows Device — Lost Documents, Media, FIle Formats & More Stellar Data Recovery for iPhone Standard: 3-Yr Subscription
      Recover Deleted Photos, Videos, Texts, Contacts & More BitRaser File Eraser: 3-Yr Subscription
      Completely Wipe All Your Sensitive Data in Just Few Clicks, No Technical Skills Required Stellar Repair for Photo Standard: 3-Yr Subscription
      The Best DIY Tool to Repair & Restore Corrupt Photos Stellar Converter for Audio & Video: 3-Yr Subscription
      Convert Audio & Video Files to Your Desired Formats in Just Few Clicks Good to know
      Length of access: 3 years Device per license: 1

This plan is only available to new users

Updates included

Redemption deadline: redeem your code within 30 days of purchase For a full description, specs, and license info, click here.

Here's the deal:
      This Power User PC Software Bundle normally costs $614, but you can pick it up for just $59.99 for a limited time - that represents a saving of $554.01 (90% off).

>> Get this deal now, or learn more about it <<
      See all discounted Apps + Software on offer. This is a time-limited deal.
      Get $1 credit for every $25 spent · Give $10, Get $10 · 10% off for first-time buyers.

Not for you?
      That's OK, there are other deals on offer you can check out here.

Home Gym Giveaway | Ultimate Gaming Giveaway (feat. PlayStation 5 & Xbox Series X) Ivacy VPN - 5 year subscription for just $1 per month NordVPN - 2 year subscription at up to 68% off Private Internet Access VPN - subscriptions at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS - unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Neowin Store for our preferred partners. Subscribe to Neowin - for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Disable Sponsored posts · Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs.

• By zikalify
      Firefox Nightly starts faster on Windows with skeleton UI
      by Paul Hill

Mozilla has enabled a new feature in Firefox Nightly on Windows 10 called skeleton UI, the idea is that when you start the browser on the first boot, the browser shows a spartan window just to show that the browser is loading. According to Doug Thayer, a Firefox Platform Engineer, the change will give users a visual indication of the browser loading as much as 15 seconds faster than normal.

Typically, Firefox should load fairly quickly on subsequent launches but when launching it for the first time after boot it can be slow as data on the hard drive has to be accessed. By offering a skeleton UI, users will know that Firefox is loading and not try to mash the Firefox icon which will only cause delays as several more browser windows attempt to open.

The skeleton UI will show the outline of the URL bar and the tabs but icons in the browser chrome, tab names, and strings in the URL bar are just represented by thick grey lines to show that those bits of information are still loading.

As with other features Mozilla attempts to implement in Firefox, the skeleton UI is currently only available on Windows 10 systems. It’ll likely come to other supported Windows versions soon enough but there’s also macOS and Linux which would benefit from the feature too. Once the skeleton UI launches on the stable branch on Windows 10, hopefully, we won’t have to wait long for it to show up on other platforms.

Via: Ghacks

• By Nero C
      Windows Terminal to gain Settings UI in the next version
      by Nero Cui

Microsoft released Windows Terminal in 2019 replacing the default Windows Console that PowerShell and CMD use by default. The new terminal program contains many features that command-line users have been asking for years like tabs, profiles, and modern text rendering. Although the JSON based settings allow users to customize the app, many users have asked for a GUI page (Graphic User Interface) for the settings menu because editing JSON, while flexible, is very hard.

Today, a program manager (Kayla Cinnamon) from Microsoft teased on Twitter that Settings GUI is coming in the next preview version of Windows Terminal. From the GIF, we can see that the Settings page opens in one of the tabs just like how a new terminal tab would. The design seems to be following the Windows 10 Settings app, featuring a sidebar on the left and a detailed page on the right.

Users who wish to manually edit the Settings JSON file still have the option to do so according to the GIF, but GUI is a nice feature for most users who just want to quickly launch and change some settings. The sidebar suggests that users will be able to customize areas of the app and each of the profiles.

This new feature will soon come to a Windows Terminal Preview release. More information is available through Windows Terminal's GitHub page.

Source: Kayla Cinnamon (Twitter)

• By Nero C
      Microsoft doubles down on Win32
      by Nero Cui

Microsoft has been trying to modernize Windows and its development platform for a decade now. With Windows 8's Metro UI, Windows RT, Windows 10's UWP, Project Reunion and Windows 10X, Microsoft is trying their best to convince users and developers to move to a modern platform, but it apparently doesn't mean the end of Win32 as the company had just released a major capability to make it easier to consume Win32 APIs in programming languages other than C or C++.

According to the blog post, Win32 APIs used to be only available to C and C++ developers, and programs developed in other languages needed to go through an error-prone wrapping or binding process. This process used to be done by the developers and it would only benefit the single language that the developers target. Moreover, the huge number of Win32 APIs available also doesn't make this process easier.

To make consuming Win32 APIs easier in languages other than C or C++, Microsoft released new tooling called win32metadata. As stated by Microsoft:

According to Microsoft, developers can use win32metadata to generate wrappers to Win32 APIs making the process much easier and less error-prone than manually writing every single one of them. Following this effort, the C# wrapper library C#/Win32 by Andrew Arnott and Rust wrapper library windows-rs by Microsoft are utilizing win32metadata to make Win32 APIs available in these two languages.

Microsoft is hoping, with this tool, more languages will be able to make use of Win32 APIs. More information can be found on the project's GitHub page.

Source: Windows Blog

• By Abhay V
      A near-final build of Windows 10X has leaked to the web
      by Abhay Venkatesh

A near-final build of Windows 10X has leaked on to the web, giving those interested in going through the tricky process of installing it a glimpse at Microsoft’s latest OS – a competitor to Google’s lightweight Chrome OS. The initial release is expected to be aimed only at single screened PCs and is reportedly set to launch this spring.

Windows 10X was first showed off back in October 2019 and was aimed at dual-screened devices like the Surface Neo. However, with the Neo delayed indefinitely, the Redmond giant repurposed the OS for single-screened devices. Additionally, while the OS was expected to debut with support for Win32 apps through a virtualization technology called VAIL, those plans reportedly changed, making Windows 10X an offering slated to debut on low-end devices due to its lightweight nature.

Microsoft is supposedly planning to add Win32 app support in the future and the OS is not expected to arrive on new form factors – such as dual-screened devices – till at least 2022. A report from The Verge suggests that the leaked build contains support for Win32 apps in a developer-only mode which cannot be accessed by general users. For now, the offering runs UWP apps from the Microsoft Store and Progressive Web Apps through the Chromium-based Edge browser.

With the development of the company’s lightweight OS now nearing completion, it will be interesting to see when the firm plans to unveil the offering officially. Rumors are making the rounds that the launch will be one without much fanfare. OEM partners are also expected to unveil low-power PCs running Windows 10X aimed at the education market and the like in the coming months.

Considering the risks and complexities associated with installing leaked builds, we will not be posting links to any resources for the build. Additionally, we always urge users to exercise caution and not install these builds on their main machines.