Xbox One exclusive Ryse runs at 900p

At most the GPU provides a 40% hardware advantage that at best provides 20% in game performance.

But as has been pointed out and some people refuse to accept though it's basic logic, total performance is more than just the GPU. It's the whole system design. And the Xbox is doing some incredible stuff to alleviate the GPU advantage of the ps4. And even former ps game designers are saying the difference is negligible.

But that comes down to developers taking care to properly utilize those features. Otherwise, we might as well be talking about the "uber-powerful" cell processor.

Honestly, I don't think it will make that big of a difference either. This whole 50%, 30% or whatever the hell is nonsense. They're both going to play the games, it just depends on whether you want a cheaper console, a camera, remote play, etc.

I just think it's disappointing that the X1 and the PS4 can't even manage 1080p at 60fps for most games. It's not really Next Generation? but more like Current Generation+?.

In another words, pretty much what its always been. :P

No offense, but I have no idea what you were expecting lol! At least games won't suck as hard as they used to? That's all I'm looking forward to.

In another words, pretty much what its always been. :p

No offense, but I have no idea what you were expecting lol! At least games won't suck as hard as they used to? That's all I'm looking forward to.

Considering that these consoles are going to have to last the next eight years the least they should do is be able to run at 1080p properly. I mean, it won't be long until 4K displays are standard much in the same way that 1080p quickly overtook 720p which was standard when the X360 and PS3 were released.

Considering that these consoles are going to have to last the next eight years the least they should do is be able to run at 1080p properly. I mean, it won't be long until 4K displays are standard much in the same way that 1080p quickly overtook 720p which was standard when the X360 and PS3 were released.

Yeah, but we still have a lot of other things to consider, like bandwidth being capable of transferring such large chunks of data just to get a game in 4K, let alone movies and what not. On top of that, the storage mediums being used to hold all that data. We still have a ways to go.

(and I still own a fat TV for what its worth; I'm an all PC gamer kind of guy hahah)

I'm not sure how quickly 4K displays will become standard.  I mean I would put that at least 5 years away for tvs, maybe less for pc monitors.  Plus, on the pc, 4K gaming isn't exactly cheap or easy to do either.  Your limited to 4k @ 60, but even that requires using the latest display port connections.  HDMI is 4k @ 30 and wont change until the HDMI 2.0 standard is out, which wont be supported on video cards until at least next year.  Id say we are at least 3 years away from 4k gaming on the pc to be anything but a very high end proposition.

But that comes down to developers taking care to properly utilize those features. Otherwise, we might as well be talking about the "uber-powerful" cell processor.

Actually, developers don't need to do anything special. The directX and Xbox SDK will take care of it at a basic level, though you could optimize it further. But even without doing anything but code your game as normal and hit compile for Xbox one, it will take care of the features.

Well, I'll likely be connected via my computer monitor. I'd notice, but not sure about anyone else. It's very easy to tell, especially in MMOs when you go from buttery smooth 55+ to 30-45 fps.

But what you're noticing is the frame rate drop, not so much the resolution. Besides, in DX11.2, and maybe OpenGL 4.4, though I don't know, they allow different elements on the screen to have different resolutions. One thing people notice on the computer is text not looking good if it's not at the monitors native res. After that it's some other little details but as far as XB1 and Windows 8.1 go with DX11.2 a developer can have different elements be rendered at different resolutions. The hud and text for example can be full 1080p, also if it's a first person shooter the gun and hands will have the added detail while things in the distance will use sub 1080p textures to keep that smooth frame rate.

No doubt that it's reasonable to expect it but at the same time we've been through new console launches many times, the first batch of games is never up to par, developers don't have enough time to get more out of their code with a short deadline and non-final hardware. It's like anytime a XB1 game doesn't do 1080p@60f it's because the hardware is so weak, well what about those PS4 games that don't run so great either? Or are we just stuck in this double standard because it's MS/Xbox? I like to see what the excuse is when PS4 games come out running under those expected levels.

I meant for both consoles. both consoles are so similar at these point that if the Xbox one cant, the PS4 won't either.  IMO there's no excuse for either. Tho I guess 900p would be acceptable.

Since when was resolution the part part of graphics that decided generation anyway ?

Oh look the Xbox one is next next next generation caus it can run quake at 8k ...

What is this s**t? If you can't get 1080p on hardware releasing in 2013, whats the point of releasing it? ****ed.

I've got a phone what can render a game at slightly higher than 720p but next gen consoles can't achieve 1080p. Resolution is the key to good graphics. Anything sub-native looks like dog.

• Like 1

What is this s**t? If you can't get 1080p on hardware releasing in 2013, whats the point of releasing it? ****ed.

I've got a phone what can render a game at slightly higher than 720p but next gen consoles can't achieve 1080p. Resolution is the key to good graphics. Anything sub-native looks like dog.

Looks like dog? Halo 4 and The Last of Us would like to say hello.

I definitely think it's lame that Ryse is at 900p, but from what we've seen, the game looks fantastic. And it's not like they won't have 1080p games - we already know Forza is 1080p and 60 fps. More than 1080p, I want more games to be running at 60fps and if they have to lower the resolution to do that then I'm okay with it.

I definitely think it's lame that Ryse is at 900p, but from what we've seen, the game looks fantastic. And it's not like they won't have 1080p games - we already know Forza is 1080p and 60 fps. More than 1080p, I want more games to be running at 60fps and if they have to lower the resolution to do that then I'm okay with it.

They would look miles better if they removed some graphics fidelity and kept 1:1 pixel mapping. I'd prefer it in games any day of the week.

Also Halo 4 was 720p.

Since when was resolution the part part of graphics that decided generation anyway ?

Oh look the Xbox one is next next next generation caus it can run quake at 8k ...

Well, to be honest, they should have went with a better gfx chip especially at the price they're releasing the console for. I think it's understandable that people are kinda upset that it doesn't pull 1080p in all games. We are talking about a box that is 500 bucks after all.

They would look miles better if they removed some graphics fidelity and kept 1:1 pixel mapping. I'd prefer it in games any day of the week.

Also Halo 4 was 720p.

I know. I was just pointing out that both games are much lower than 1080p which is the native resolution people are basing everything on. Both games still were two of the most amazing looking games of the current gen and they were only at 720p. I do agree with you, 1:1 should be kept, but honestly, unless you're right in front of your tv, I don't think anyone's going to notice much difference.

And again, what does resolution have to do with generation

And it can render 1080 just fine, Forza wich is a better looking game runs at 1080p60

They chose not to.

An him sure your phone game looks awesome because resolution is everything that matters in graphics.... That's why quake 1 is such an awesome looking game at 8k res...

And that's the key in this, a constant frame rate over a higher resolution. What good is 1080p if it's at 30 frames per second which according to some around here is just as bad as if it were 720p at 60 frames per second. Make up your minds, do you just want 1080p and a subpar frame rate or do you want smooth gameplay and a small dip in resolution? Not that we can't get 1080p and 60 frames, we can, but not every developer has reached that point yet.

They officially went on record to say that the next halo will be 1080p@60fps, it can be done, on either system, just not by most games on day 1.

I'm also not seeing how this "it's x86 so they should know how to use it from the start" line of thinking is valid. At the core of it, sure it's x86 CPUs, but at least on the XB1 those have been customized. We also already know the GPU has seen extensive customization as well, they're not stock PC parts. The same PC development rules don't apply here, also the devkits they had early on weren't final. The same on the PS4 side, they only got final hardware recently which is why launch titles are never that great with any new release of a system. That won't be the case with the 2nd batch, I expect to see some great things for summer 2014.

Honestly, i wonder what kind of sacrifices turn 10 had to make that we don't yet know about to achieve that with forza. Cause with a steadily increasing list of sub-1080p games, i don't think they could have done it without those.

They officially went on record to say that the next halo will be 1080p@60fps, it can be done, on either system, just not by most games on day 1.

I'd be surprised if they didn't manage to do that with halo. After all, that series has never been close to visually impressive.

Halo hasn't been visually impressive ? Seriously ?

The problem with that argument it's hat the only reason peopleever claim that is because the style with brighter colors which brings out there faults and such more easily. Had the game been more gray dull and brown, you'd never hear that. Even then you couldn't seriously give a claim like that without coming off as an anti Xbox/Halo person.

As for sacrifices on Forza... Yeah, let's put out some baseless claims because we can't accept the power of the Xbox one ? Huh ?

What sacrifices are there when he game looks better than anything else, and runs at 1080p60 ?

Honestly, i wonder what kind of sacrifices turn 10 had to make that we don't yet know about to achieve that with forza. Cause with a steadily increasing list of sub-1080p games, i don't think they could have done it without those.

I'd be surprised if they didn't manage to do that with halo. After all, that series has never been close to visually impressive.

Pre-baked lighting instead of dynamic lighting, no dynamic weather cycle.

Halo hasn't been visually impressive ? Seriously ?

The problem with that argument it's hat the only reason peopleever claim that is because the style with brighter colors which brings out there faults and such more easily. Had the game been more gray dull and brown, you'd never hear that. Even then you couldn't seriously give a claim like that without coming off as an anti Xbox/Halo person.

As for sacrifices on Forza... Yeah, let's put out some baseless claims because we can't accept the power of the Xbox one ? Huh ?

What sacrifices are there when he game looks better than anything else, and runs at 1080p60 ?

Perhaps i don't find the halo series as impressive cause i own a capable gaming pc. Thus i've seen visuals that actually are impressive.

It's not that i "cant accept the power of the xbox one". It's that i'm not a mindless drone who believes it's an unstoppable console with the power of a god like people such as yourself. Anyway, i'm pretty confident that when the game(forza 5) comes out and we get the normal tech analysis article at eurogamer we will indeed see some sacrifices.

I do not understand the complaining.  60fps should be the priority, not resolution.  

As for what has better visuals.  Everybody has different opinions on this.  I think Skyrim looks absolutely ugly, but people think it looks amazing.  Borderlands 2 to me looks the best so far.  I have always liked the cartoony/cell-shaded look though :)

But I did find the Halo series to be impressive visually.

There is nothing but the lack of performance preventing the Xbox One from driving games at 1080p. Yeah, sure, the hardware can output a 1080p signal, but it cannot do so with adequate performance while keeping things looking good, without cutting back. That is almost guaranteed to be due to the memory bandwidth issues. And contrary to what Microsoft says, this does matter. Take a look at the spec: Xbox One has 68.3GB/s memory bandwidth for both GPU and CPU to share. The PS4 has a whopping 176GB/s. Nearly triple! This comes in handy when moving large textures back and forth between the main memory and GPU, and the higher 1080p resolution must be making it hard to move this data around quickly with the Xbox One's limited bandwidth.

TRUST ME. This is a huge failure for Microsoft. If you go and look at GPUs; memory bandwidth really matters there. And the 176GB/sec number on the PS4 is already pretty low; PC single GPUs have upwards of 300GB/sec (The Radeon 7970 has 264GB/s - the Radeon 7990 has 576GB/s) just to themselves, while the CPUs have another dedicated 25.2GB/sec in most systems (systems with DDR3 1600MHz dual-channel RAM do), or more. I think Microsoft made too many trade offs, and screwed the design of the Xbox One up by thinking they could do what they did with the Xbox 360 and previous consoles, which was making a system that didn't have adequate memory bandwidth and thus limited entire system performance quite a bit.

from: http://kotaku.com/report-ps4-is-50-faster-than-xbox-one-1308239556

Microsoft already responded. They have choosen to go into complete denial mode, "specs don't matter," was their response. Here's the quote:

Microsoft claims the design of the Xbox One is complex. bull****, the design is no different from PC hardware, and there is no "secret" juice in these things. The specs do matter, fill rate and memory bandwidth determine graphics performance. And this is exactly why the Xbox One is junk, cause it IS limited, and the specs for both already prove that.

The PS4 is 50% faster, and it doesn't need to cut the resolution or graphics quality in order to run at 1080p. That's the deal here. Also, I think the masses agree, the Xbox One also appears to be doing quite poorly in presales compared to the PS4, if this poll over on GameFAQs is to be believed:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/poll/5269

5026 people have preordered PS4's, compared to only 1126 people who preordered Xbox Ones. Another 811 people preordered both. Furthermore, 12514 plan to buy a PS4, whereas only 1518 plan to buy an Xbox One, and only 848 people plan to buy both. Another 20502 people don't plan to buy either... must be PC gamers, or something, cause there's not much else out there to buy. The Wii U pretty much failed already.. lol.

Total votes: 42345 at the time of this post.

Microsoft has stated that HALO 5 will run in pure 1080p/60fps... Which means it can and will be done....

That just made all of what you posted... irrelevant...  

That actually made me laugh a little.