Another shooting, another round of "let's blame video games"

Here is a collection of media outlets blaming games for the tragedy that befell a US Navy base"

Fox News Highlights Navy Ship Yard Killer's Video Game 'Obsession'

In a new report, the conservative news network tries to link video games to gunman Aaron Alexis, who killed 12 people before police shot him dead at the Navy Shipyard in Washington where he worked earlier this week. While the report goes into great detail about the gunman's troubled past - including issues with mental illness and multiple run-ins with police, the focus of the Fox story is about his video game habits.

U.S. law enforcement officials said that Alexis had been suffering a host of serious mental issues, including paranoia and a sleep disorder, and that he had been treated regularly since August by the Veterans Administration for his mental problems. His father at one time told detectives in Seattle that his son had "anger management problems" related to post-traumatic stress brought on by the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. Police also said that he had been "hearing voices."

But instead of focusing on all of these problems Alexis had, Fox News leads with a couple of quotes about Alexis' gaming habits:

Dallas Morning News report points out that Alexis had faced charges related to guns in both Fort Worth, and Seattle in the past, but this is what Fox News is interested in:

"One of 34-year-old Aaron Alexis? neighbors told Fort Worth police that he terrified her. Another said that he liked Alexis and that his only flaw was that he often immersed himself in violent video games for hours at a time."

Interestingly, the Wll Street Journal report also says that most people who ran into Alexis thought he was polite, and his former roommate describes him in much the same way, adding that he was a "hardcore drinker."

"Mr. Alexis was a 'hardcore drinker,' he said, and was also skilled in videogames, which he would play for marathon sessions that lasted hours. Another friend, Michael Ritrovato, a government worker, said he witnessed Mr. Alexis playing first-person shooting games online. Mr. Suthamtewakul said he and his family would sometimes bring Mr. Alexis plates of food during his videogame binges."

And that is the extent of the talk about video games, but apparently it's enough to warrant the headline, "DC gunman obsessed with violent video games, reports say."

The Fox News report does go into detail about Alexis' troubled past, and how the Navy Reserve's poor judgment may have led to Alexis getting a security clearance he should not have gotten. It's also confusing why a person with ongoing mental health problems and gun-related run-ins with police in Seattle and Fort Worth didn't become apparent during a security check prior to his working at the Washington Navy Ship Yard...

We will have more on this story as it develops.

http://gamepolitics.com/2013/09/17/fox-news-highlights-navy-ship-yard-killers-video-game-obsession#.Ujk9zsanpOY

Fox & Friends Co-Host Elisabeth Hasselbeck: We Need National Registry for Video Games

The new Fox & Friends host, Elisabeth Hasselbeck (formerly the lone conservative on ABC's The View) suggested during the Tuesday morning show that "the left" was trying to make Monday?s mass shooting at the Washington Navy Yard about "gun control." Instead she pointed out that the country doesn't need a national registry for guns, it needs one for to track video game purchases. Raw Story offers some choice quotes from the segment - thanks PHX Corpfor the tip.

"You know, certainly, this topic has already taken a turn again, the left?s already making this about gun control," Hasselbeck said.

"Is this about gun control or is this about a guy who has a history of drinking a lot, playing video games a lot and a few shooting incidents?" co-host Brian Kilmeade asked.

"But you talk about this guy?s background, as we look into it," Kilmeade continued. "He?s got a friend, who said, 'Yeah, he had an obsession with video games, shooting video games. In fact, he would come over and he would be playing so long ? these video games, these shooting games ? we?d have to give him dinner, we?d have to feed him while he continued to stay on them.'"

"Are more people susceptible to playing video games?" Hasselbeck continued. "Is there a link between a certain age group or [demographic] in 20- to 34-year-old men, perhaps, that are playing these video games and their violent actions?"

"What about frequency testing?" she added. "How often has this game been played? I?m not one to get in there and say, monitor everything, but if this, indeed, is a strong link, right, to mass killings then why aren?t we looking at frequency of purchases per person? And also, how often they?re playing and maybe they time out after a certain hour."

You can watch the video to your left and draw your own conclusions.

Source: Raw Story

http://gamepolitics.com/2013/09/17/fox-friends-co-host-elisabeth-hasselbeck-we-need-national-registry-video-games#.Ujk9z8anpOY

MSNBC Guest Says in the 1950s, 'We Blamed Comic Books' for Societal Ills

While we (rightly) point the finger at Fox News for pushing the narrative that violent video games somehow drive people to shoot people like the Washington Navy Yard shooter Aaron Alexis, the cable news network is certainly not alone.

On multiple shows network MSNBC has been trying to make the connection as well. On a recent episode of Morning Joe, host Joe Scarborough and co-host Mika Brzezinski talked about Grand Theft Auto, but had that narrative interrupted by Yahoo! News columnist Jeff Greenfield, who noted that this is the same old drum beat about violent media we have been hearing about since the 1950s.

"I know this drives liberals and library libertarians crazy," Joe Scarborough said during the show. "I grew up seeing my friends simulate murdering people thousands of times. That has continued through the years, and it?s gotten even worse. Grand Theft Auto 5?my god, after Grand Theft Auto 2, I was like, no, that?s not coming into our house again. Of course, there are millions of people that use video games that don?t do anything. But after Newtown, as I said, I know who this guy is without knowing who the guy was."

But Greenfield pointed out that what Joe was saying was very familiar:

"Sixty years ago under the instruction of a psychologist named Dr. Frederick Wertham, who wrote a book called Seduction of the Innocents, you know what was considered the threat from the part of young people? Comic books," Greenfield said. "They were censored out of existence by the New York Comics Code Authority. Every time there?s a new medium, it is pointed to as the source of horrible behavior. It?s comic books, it?s rock and roll, it?s video games. Back in the days of Pac-Man, even! I guess it was supposed to desensitize people?s brains.?

"I?m gonna sit down with you and I?m gonna show you," retorted Scarborough. "They are a long cry from comic books, brother. Long cry from Spiderman."

"Remember Tales from the Crypt, back in 1950?" Greenfield countered. "With chopped heads off? It wasn?t that far. I?m only saying that the notion that here?s the magic bullet?if you?ll pardon the expression bullet?that is the cause of it, is something we do, but it may not be the answer we think it is."

You can check out the full clip via Mediaite.

http://gamepolitics.com/2013/09/17/msnbc-guest-says-1950s-we-blamed-comic-books-societal-ills#.Ujk908anpOY

Daily Telegraph Jumps on the 'Let's Blame Video Games' Bandwagon

Not to be left out of the "let's blame video games for every mass shooting that happens" narrative being pushed by American cable news outlets like MSNBC and Fox News, UK paper The Daily Telegraph offers an article on how Washington Navy Yard gunman Aaron Alexis was "obsessed with video games." The title of the article? "Aaron Alexis: Washington navy yard gunman 'obsessed with violent video games.'"

Drawing from the same source as other reports this morning, The Daily Telegraph (which is notorious for its anti-video game news stories) claims that "Aaron Alexis played violent video games including Call of Duty for up to 16 hours at a time and friends believe it could have pushed him towards becoming a mass murderer."

Alexis was shot dead on Monday after killing 12 people at Washington's Navy Yard.

The Telegraph claims that Alexis's "addiction to violent video games and guns was at odds with his devout commitment to Buddhism, which saw Alexis spending half the day every Sunday meditating at the Wat Busayadhammvanaram temple in Fort Worth, Texas over a period of several years."

Speaking to the Daily Telegraph, Oui Suthamtewakul from Fort Worth, Texas described Alexis "playing zombie video games."

The darker side to Alexis's character saw him playing violent "zombie" video games in his room, sometimes from 12.30pm until 4.30am.

Mr Suthamtewakul said: "He could be in the game all day and all night. I think games might be what pushed him that way. He always had this fear people would steal his stuff so that's why he would carry his gun all the time. He would carry it when he was helping out in the restaurant which scared my customers."

It has not been confirmed that Alexis actually played video games, save the account from his one friend in Forth Worth, and there's no proof that he regularly played Call of Duty. But even if he did, given his age it wouldn't be a leap of faith to assume that because that's what normal men his age do. How his playing games factors into him killing 12 people would be like trying to figure out how being a Buddhist or living in Texas factored into the shooting spree.

Source: Daily Telegraph

http://gamepolitics.com/2013/09/17/daily-telegraph-jumps-lets-blame-video-games-bandwagon

Everything is about the gun but not the person. We blame every other crime on the person but when it comes to a crime done with a gun people don't look at the person they look at the gun as if the gun had a mind of its own and done the shooting. Perhaps the media should look at the people doing these crimes and not the object. And I think the Obama administration needs to look at the people and not the guns. Every mass shooting that happened recently have all been from mentally ill people..

• Like 2

RE: Hasselbeck's suggestion for a video game registry: I thought conservatives were for smaller governments and less interference with people's lives? Surely having people register their gaming purchases flies in the face of that?

I'd say it was only sarcasm on her part, but I know better.

You act as if it can't be a contributing factor.

I watched a study on Children associated with violent video games and they were in general more prone to outbursts, anxiety, inattentiveness and outright violence than the control group. Not by a little bit, but by a massive margin. It's a chicken-egg study for sure, but the results are worth noting at the very least.

Do you honestly think exposing people to violence won't have negative repercussions?

I watched a study on Children associated with violent video games and they were in general more prone to outbursts, anxiety, inattentiveness and outright violence than the control group. Not by a little bit, but by a massive margin. It's a chicken-egg study for sure, but the results are worth noting at the very least.

Do you honestly think exposing people to violence won't have negative repercussions?

Can you show us the study? Beyond that, children shouldn't be playing violent video games anyway. GTA and CoD aren't intended for children. Neither is Pulp Fiction or Slayer albums.

This tragedy seems to be the result of extreme mental instability and easy access to weapons. 

• Like 2

Lol, I love the media, it is never about the story its only about ratings and what their corporate agenda wants.

You see this every night, they have stupid articles about celebrities that pull rating and nothing about the true issues, in the community because it makes people feel bad and they stop watching, which equals less ratings and less money. 

However I don't understand the hate on video games, why are the media so against it? Is it they are trying to push the argument away from the gun control issue or is it they are trying to collapse the video game industry to push people back to TV and Movies for entertainment. Is it that a lot of media outlets are run buy an older generation which dont understand video games and find them a waist of time. 

Can you show us the study? 

I wish I could, it was a good show. But it was on TV and I don't recall the name. If I find before I forget this thread exists I'll let you know.

There has been studies on children who watch even the most child friendly V shows that have these same issues, its a lot about less human interaction apparently. I'm not counting out that violent video games cause some issues, but its a leap from playing video games to shooting somebody.

The same leap as saying that the gun is at fault not the shooter. The issue is with the shooter not the gun or the games he played. 

Health care and aid could have stopped this issue. This should be a call for more funding for mental health solutions. Not a cry for bans or control.

They have sick minds...  sick people out there...  and have no control themselves...

could be from stress, depressions, etc.

They should go to rehab or therapy so they could clean themselves up for better life instead of going downhill.

They have sick minds...  sick people out there...  and have no control themselves...

could be from stress, depressions, etc.

They should go to rehab or therapy so they could clean themselves up for better life instead of going downhill.

Games are therapy for many people.  It's a lot cheaper than the real thing.

Any obsession can be dangerous, but that Fox is still pointing fingers makes me laugh considering their 'experts' have always been obsessed and/or clueless.

• Like 1

Beyond that, children shouldn't be playing violent video games anyway.

Why not? I mean, if they can't be a contributing factor to later violence, then what's the harm?

You can't have it both ways. The very notion that for some people, violence from video games, movies, and/or music, has no effect on the human brain, is ludicrous. The average US child will have viewed over 16,000 simulated murders by the time they are 18.

And we wonder why these mass shootings keep happening. There have always been mentally unstable people, but not until the time of TV and video games did these events occur with such regularity. This isn't rocket science.

Couple that with a culture of guns and this is what you get. I don't know what the answer is, but as I said, for some folks, video games can be damaging.

Why not? I mean, if they can't be a contributing factor to later violence, then what's the harm?

You can't have it both ways. The very notion that for some people, violence from video games, movies, and/or music, has no effect on the human brain, is ludicrous. The average US child will have viewed over 16,000 simulated murders by the time they are 18.

And we wonder why these mass shootings keep happening. There have always been mentally unstable people, but not until the time of TV and video games did these events occur with such regularity. This isn't rocket science.

Couple that with a culture of guns and this is what you get. I don't know what the answer is, but as I said, for some folks, video games can be damaging.

http://www.wanttoknow.info/g/violent_crime_rates_reduction

Let's just ban all media, be it audio, visual, and interactive!

I know I'm putting myself right into the firing line for this but enough is enough

First they blamed music, then movies, now games, what they going to try and ban next?

Want to reduce crime, get more involved with your community, share thoughts and stop being a patronising jerk, you'll find some common ground to build on.

(sorry about the rant, it just makes me think that this is just another witch-hunt)

• Like 3

its a truly a combination of many many things with each having a small (but significant) contribution. Think of the current state of the USA as the perfect storm. Lax gun control, violent upbringing (games, real life etc), huge wealth gaps, racism and anger still behind peoples smiling faces, rampant drug use, failing economy, aging infrastructure, extreme media portals, countless religious sects, etc etc.... how can anything like that NOT have millions of crazies

• Like 3

its a truly a combination of many many things with each having a small (but significant) contribution. Think of the current state of the USA as the perfect storm. Lax gun control, violent upbringing (games, real life etc), huge wealth gaps, racism and anger still behind peoples smiling faces, rampant drug use, failing economy, aging infrastructure, extreme media portals, countless religious sects, etc etc.... how can anything like that NOT have millions of crazies

That is true but we have millions more of average, normal people who go through every day not killing someone and not making the news headlines, Unfortunately, it's the crazies that make the news and most non-Americans assume everyone here is like that. Not to take away from your points, because you make some good ones. We do have our problems, but so does everyone else.

That is true but we have millions more of average, normal people who go through every day not killing someone and not making the news headlines, Unfortunately, it's the crazies that make the news and most non-Americans assume everyone here is like that. Not to take away from your points, because you make some good ones. We do have our problems, but so does everyone else.

Just for the record, I wasn't referring to any specific nation in my post, just in case that ignorance post was pointed at me.

I still believe, (be it naively) the world can be a much nicer place if the people in it were nicer to one another, progress through mutual co operation etc...

What more do people want?  Theres already Rated M several places on the box, and every ad for the game.  Movies have a rating.  TV Shows have a rating.  If you are a parent, watch/play the game to see if it is okay.  I am sure you can find a lets play somewhere for any given game.

I don't understand why it is video games fault.  I mean.. Pretty much EVERY MOVIE has someone or a tonne of someones being killed. There are also shows after shows with killing.  

Yea.. Parappa the Rappa made me mad a bunch.. but I never went out and killed someone because I couldn't chop the onion.

Just for the record, I wasn't referring to any specific nation in my post, just in case that ignorance post was pointed at me.

I wasn't :)

I still believe, (be it naively) the world can be a much nicer place if the people in it were nicer to one another, progress through mutual co operation etc...

Same here but that goal looks further away every day.

• Like 1

My point was the content is inappropriate, not that the content leads murderous, gun-toting children. Some content is simply too mature for children to understand or process. I don't think pornography creates rapists, a common assertion from people who are anti-porn, but I don't think children should view that, either.

In addition, games are often used by parents as substitute parents which encourages a sedentary lifestyle which is unhealthy.

With the prevalence of gaming, and furthermore the prevalence of violent gaming, I would say no, it is not a contributing factor to anything. If it was there would be many, many more mass shootings/killings.