GTA 5 pulls in $800M in one day, nears record

GTA 5 pulls in $800M in one day, nears record

Grand Theft Auto 5 publisher Take-Two Interactive tallied $800 million in sales on the game's first day of release, the company announced today.

That's the highest launch-day revenue of any GTA game and any game in Take-Two history, according to internal estimates. Grand Theft Auto 5 launched yesterday, Sept. 17, on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 worldwide, except in Japan and Brazil, where it will be released soon.

Activision's Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 currently holds the record as the entertainment release that was the quickest to reach the $1 billion mark ? last November, Black Ops 2grossed $1 billion within 15 days of launch, one day faster than 2011's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 and two days faster than the 2009 film Avatar.

"All of us at Take-Two are thrilled with the initial response to Grand Theft Auto 5. Once again, the team at Rockstar Games have outdone themselves, setting the entertainment industry's new standard for creativity, innovation and excellence," said Strauss Zelnick, chairman and CEO of Take-Two, in a press release today. According to Take-Two, more than 8,300 stores in North America held midnight openings forGrand Theft Auto 5.

The game is available in a standard edition for $59.99, a Special Edition for $79.99 and a GameStop-exclusive Collector's Edition for $149.99. Take-Two did not release a figure for the total number of copies of Grand Theft Auto 5 that have been sold so far.

Source: Polygon

$800 million is sales figures is not profit people. Sony, Microsoft, disc pressers, license holders, resellers and a LOT of other people get a cut before they get theirs. Out of that 800 million in sales they likley havn't even broke even for their $234M investiment, yet. For only being sold for 1 day figures are looking good for recouping their investiment by the end of tomorrow....

It's kind of disappointing to see things like this, tbh. Cause it goes to show devs and publishers that people will gladly shovel money into the same ol kind of thing over and over. Which will have the effect of reducing the number of actual new games(and creativity in gaming in general) even further than this generation already has.

It's kind of disappointing to see things like this, tbh. Cause it goes to show devs and publishers that people will gladly shovel money into the same ol kind of thing over and over. Which will have the effect of reducing the number of actual new games(and creativity in gaming in general) even further than this generation already has.

To be fair, it's not like the GTA games have any kind of continuous story line, so it's not a "sequel" in any traditional sense, and they're consistently great games. Besides, a good game is a good game, regardless of whether or not it's a sequel.

The reason they dont sell on pc is because pc games dont sell compared to consoles.  I mean look at MW3 it sold 7.5 million copies on 360 and 5.38 million on ps3 and 477,971 on pc on opening day.

Walter White made $80,000,000 for prospective after he was all set and left the meth business! I could only wonder what I'd use $800 million!

If it shows devs that they need to produce a game as polished as GTAV then i'm all for it.

You say it like an extra 28 million dollars to the profit is a bad thing.

No its not a bad thing but its also not 28 million profit since i am sure they don't just make the entire 59.99 as profit.  In fact last time i looked the developer only gets around 15% of the price which that number varies but never by much.  So basically they 9 dollars per sold. Don't hold me to that though lol.That also varies by how much they put into marketing which obviouslly gtav must of spent a fortune on because its all i see everywhere lol