iPhone 5s slaughters quad-core rivals in performance tests

Yup, I would like to see something like that too, just to see what, if there is a difference.

Yeah honestly, I really don't care much for benchmarks as android, WP8 and iOS are soo different from one another. I'm betting iOS has the upper hand as they work with one set of hardware and tweak each and everything to perform as they want to (their new "smart multitask"). Now mind you, i'm no expert or coder so my words are just based on what would seem to be logical, but I don't think android at it's current level, will ever reach that sort of integration, as I think, it is built to work on different hardware. Obviously, LG, Samsung and the rest slightly tweak to their needs, but it really has no comparison in building an OS+Hardware+APIS at the level apple has.

Kind of funny that a lot of us consider the latest atom CPU unusable, yet it still beats most of these phone CPU's pretty handedly.

You do realize that PC processing is incredibly different than Mobile processing, right?

• Like 2

You do realize that PC processing is incredibly different than Mobile processing, right?

Different sure, but these benchmarks clearly show they all crunch numbers and the latest Atom does it best.

Different sure, but these benchmarks clearly show they all crunch numbers and the latest Atom does it best.

Um that was exactly his point... I'm guessing anand just added the atom for reference, as there really isn't any point :/

Anandtech found that the iPhone 5s bested leading rival smartphones such as the Samsung Galaxy S4 and LG G2 in each and every CPU performance test performed, often by a fairly wide margin. 

Ouch. Android got slaughtered.

I would imagine the 64bit processor has something to do with it....

I imagine so. It's funny, because I remember a huge argument where a lot of people argued that it would make no difference in the long run. I guess they were wrong. 

• Like 2

It's possible. But last week, the majority claimed that it was just marketing.

I imagine so. It's funny, because I remember a huge argument where a lot of people argued that it would make no difference in the long run. I guess they were wrong. 

Depends really if the app is written to take advantage of that.  If not, then its no big deal.  Which poses the question, will Devs now have to write a 64bit version of their apps for the 5s, then a 32bit for the older devices?

Anyway, with the 64bit processor...its like comparing a Ferrari to a Honda.

I will try to find it again.. but it was beaten pretty bad.. The Z1 is insanely fast. 

It's based on the same snapdragon 800 the LG2 has, so It's basically the same performance.

• Chipset: Qualcomm MSM8974 Snapdragon 800, quad-core 2.2 GHz Krait 400, Adreno 330, 2GB of RAM

It's based on the same snapdragon 800 the LG2 has, so It's basically the same performance.

• Chipset: Qualcomm MSM8974 Snapdragon 800, quad-core 2.2 GHz Krait 400, Adreno 330, 2GB of RAM

In general though, I find that Sony is far better than any other android OEM at actually optimizing the OS and drivers for their hardware. Hence why they are much smoother in use than other android phones, and why it takes longer for them to release updates. Google has commended them for this multiple times.

Man, we've had these modern smart phones for how long and we're STILL trying to benchmark non-comparable systems with each other? I mean, every group is as bad as the next, but as a whole it's really getting old. The fact that they aren't comparable is blatantly obvious in the fact that all of the CPU performance tests run by Anandtech are browser based. Safari has ALWAYS been one of the fastest browsers, largely because it's much lighter than the rest, be it mobile or desktop. And talk about a battery of javascript tests being far from a real world comparison.

Amusingly, it's almost predictable who here will start jumping up and down and waving their epeen in the air when these tests come out.

• Like 3

Man, we've had these modern smart phones for how long and we're STILL trying to benchmark non-comparable systems with each other? I mean, every group is as bad as the next, but as a whole it's really getting old. The fact that they aren't comparable is blatantly obvious in the fact that all of the CPU performance tests run by Anandtech are browser based. Safari has ALWAYS been one of the fastest browsers, largely because it's much lighter than the rest, be it mobile or desktop. And talk about a battery of javascript tests being far from a real world comparison.

Amusingly, it's almost predictable who here will start jumping up and down and waving their epeen in the air when these tests come out.

JavaScript performance is the one thing that is comparable across all devices though.

And last I checked chrome has been a faster browser than safari in most tests.

The benchmarks that I had found showed the Z1 Ultra scoring a bit faster than the 5S.. but I can not find it anymore.. lol searched my history and everything.. oh well.. i'm sure more benchmarks will be out soon. 

Um that was exactly his point... I'm guessing anand just added the atom for reference, as there really isn't any point :/

Haha, well the point is that ARM still hasn't caught up. He mentions several times in the articles, referencing Haswell. My post was just that it is funny how that we find the Atom processor unusable when on mobile we are praising the slower speeds. Of course it is all relative and ARM offers better cooling/battery but definitely shows how far Mobile has to go in this space as far as performance goes.

In general though, I find that Sony is far better than any other android OEM at actually optimizing the OS and drivers for their hardware. Hence why they are much smoother in use than other android phones, and why it takes longer for them to release updates. Google has commended them for this multiple times.

Yup, completely agree, my sisters xperia Z runs much more smooth than my S4 (touchwiz, Octa version) 

Wow, iPhone 5s really killed it in GLBenchmark (1080p) !

If only it had run it at..you know...1080p.

That doesn't have any bearing on numbers...right?

Benchmarks are stupid.

• Like 3

Wow, iPhone 5s really killed it in GLBenchmark (1080p) !

If only it had run it at..you know...1080p.

That doesn't have any bearing on numbers...right?

Benchmarks are stupid.

Yup, finally someone else that reads!

JavaScript performance is the one thing that is comparable across all devices though.

And last I checked chrome has been a faster browser than safari in most tests.

.... That was kind of my point. Trying to compare devices using javascript because that's about all that's similar enough to compare. Doesn't that kind of say something to you about how you're comparing apples to oranges? "Well, even though apples and oranges aren't really comparable, they both have sugar, and an orange has more, so it conclusively tastes better" (I have no idea which has more sugar btw, haha).

In my experience Chrome has never had it's desktop performance on Android. It has a huge feature list compared to Safari on mobile devices though. It wasn't even default on Android for a long time because it wasn't as fast. They've only started making it default since phones got a little faster and could better handle what it was built to do.

.... That was kind of my point. Trying to compare devices using javascript because that's about all that's similar enough to compare. Doesn't that kind of say something to you about how you're comparing apples to oranges? "Well, even though apples and oranges aren't really comparable, they both have sugar, and an orange has more, so it conclusively tastes better" (I have no idea which has more sugar btw, haha).

Good point...

And as pointed out,  GPU/CPU benchmarks bound to resolution:

5s = 640 x 1136 pixels

G2 =1080 x 1920

S41080 x 1920 pixels

Mind you, this is probably useless as again, different platforms... but still, worthwhile noticing, as it's not the same scenario.

• Like 2

Good point...

And as pointed out,  GPU/CPU benchmarks bound to resolution:

5s = 640 x 1136 pixels

G2 =1080 x 1920

S41080 x 1920 pixels

Mind you, this is probably useless as again, different platforms... but still, worthwhile noticing, as it's not the same scenario.

Exactly, which is why GPU benchmarks aren't relevant either. Overall, there's almost no way to compare these devices. Just use them and use what you like. They are all more than fast enough now days.

• Like 3

Exactly, which is why GPU benchmarks aren't relevant either. Overall, there's almost no way to compare these devices. Just use them and use what you like. They are all more than fast enough now days.

Exactly.

If you need benchmarks to decide something for you...get help.

• Like 2

Exactly.

If you need benchmarks to decide something for you...get help.

Its amazing how people use benchmarks to either make up their decision to buy something, or use it as fodder in an argument.  I like Android for the pure simple fact that I can do a lot more with the device than others. 

• Like 3