iPhone 5s slaughters quad-core rivals in performance tests

Good point...

And as pointed out,  GPU/CPU benchmarks bound to resolution:

5s = 640 x 1136 pixels

G2 =1080 x 1920

S41080 x 1920 pixels

Mind you, this is probably useless as again, different platforms... but still, worthwhile noticing, as it's not the same scenario.

They actually did quite a few off screen benchmarks with devices outputting at 1080p. Take a look at the source.

Yeah honestly, I really don't care much for benchmarks as android, WP8 and iOS are soo different from one another. I'm betting iOS has the upper hand as they work with one set of hardware and tweak each and everything to perform as they want to (their new "smart multitask"). Now mind you, i'm no expert or coder so my words are just based on what would seem to be logical, but I don't think android at it's current level, will ever reach that sort of integration, as I think, it is built to work on different hardware. Obviously, LG, Samsung and the rest slightly tweak to their needs, but it really has no comparison in building an OS+Hardware+APIS at the level apple has.

Now, you see, I'd disagree with some of that, As the more advanced smartphones get, the closer they get to becoming full blown Tablets, now I'm no expert in this field, but, as a tablet computer, it will have some similarities to it's bigger brother, the personal computer, it will have storage, RAM, a Processor, Some Form of Graphics system, be it integrated or not.

And as any of the latest pc's can run pretty much any OS, depending on a couple of factors, it would be safe to assume a phone could too, hell can you imagine how instantaneous a WP device would be if it ran on a quad core chipset?

So it would go to follow if IOS was configured to run on an S3 or other device in similar hardware spec it would be blinding fast

There iphone people, I said something nice about it, now get off my back :p

Now, you see, I'd disagree with some of that, As the more advanced smartphones get, the closer they get to becoming full blown Tablets, now I'm no expert in this field, but, as a tablet computer, it will have some similarities to it's bigger brother, the personal computer, it will have storage, RAM, a Processor, Some Form of Graphics system, be it integrated or not.

And as any of the latest pc's can run pretty much any OS, depending on a couple of factors, it would be safe to assume a phone could too, hell can you imagine how instantaneous a WP device would be if it ran on a quad core chipset?

So it would go to follow if IOS was configured to run on an S3 or other device in similar hardware spec it would be blinding fast

The iphone people, I said something nice about it, now get off my back :p

I don't think it means that they are getting closer to becoming fullblown tablets, because both tabs and phones are powered by the same hardware.

Tablets just have a bigger screen and (usually) no cell radio.

• Like 1

They actually did quite a few off screen benchmarks with devices outputting at 1080p. Take a look at the source.

Yeah, but offscreen rendering is just that.

And as any of the latest pc's can run pretty much any OS, depending on a couple of factors, it would be safe to assume a phone could too, hell can you imagine how instantaneous a WP device would be if it ran on a quad core chipset?

The iphone people, I said something nice about it, now get off my back :p

Yeah as I pointed above, it would be interesting to see ios and wp8 run on a spec by spec comparison AND run the same tests  on android with apple specs, so as to "normalize".

The Apple A7 is based on ARM v8 where as the other devices are based on ARM v7 processors. Is that not like comparing a 3ghz Core2Duo to a 3ghz Core I3 and expecting them to preform the same?

I'm not that in to the finer details of the processors so could totally be off there... however at the end of the day use which ever device appeals most to you. It's not like your using a mobile phone to render 3d models or something so extreme.

• Like 3

Its amazing how people use benchmarks to either make up their decision to buy something, or use it as fodder in an argument.  I like Android for the pure simple fact that I can do a lot more with the device than others. 

Same here. I doubt any benchmark would get to me to change.

The Apple A7 is based on ARM v8 where as the other devices are based on ARM v7 processors. Is that not like comparing a 3ghz Core2Duo to a 3ghz Core I3 and expecting them to preform the same?

I'm not that in to the finer details of the processors so could totally be off there... however at the end of the day use which ever device appeals most to you. It's not like your using a mobile phone to render 3d models or something so extreme.

Yes, needless to say it would look pretty bad if Apple didn't have some distinct advantages being that it's CPU is a generation ahead. Good on them for getting to market first though.

But can it run Crysis?

I'm so sorry, I wanted to find a way to say this for so, so long.

Naturally I respect both Android and iOS. I love how those who manage Android are trying to perfect the experience of performance. But Apple managing integration while managing performance at a minimal WHILE still matching the Quad Cores is what keeps me at comfort, sorry for being a fanboy.

Only just getting the 5 in May, I'd easily go for the 5s just to see how much more secure it'd make me feel. Plus I'm in love with performance and I'm due for more space since having to collect music to the point that I'd had to put in an extra Hard Drive in my Mac.

Other than that, about the resolution comparison. Seeing the the iPhone 5's are smaller than the Galaxies, why does it matter whether it's 1080 or not? It still gives amazing rendering regardless and the benchmarks made me feel confident in how the 5s would give me what I want. Hell, my 5 gives me great performance after what I've already put it through, I think I'm just being greedy.

no one can defend the cpu benchmarks of the other non apple chips. while those other manufacturers were busy seeing who can add the most ridiculous amount of cores,apple went and implemented the newer arm instruction set in their custom cpu design. the results speak for themselves. this has nothing to do with 64 bit or whatever, that part is understood, but the newer instruction set will give better single core performance. you can clearly see that the multithreaded performance still lags the other chips, but this doesnt represent real world usage. its all in the experience of the user. the gpu on the other hand is comparable to some of those other chips,but will give the illusion that its better because of the native resolution of the devices.

i expect,like always, other cpus to finally pull ahead once they go with the new instruction set. then we do the dance again next time.

• Like 3

no one can defend the cpu benchmarks of the other non apple chips. while those other manufacturers were busy seeing who can add the most ridiculous amount of cores,apple went and implemented the newer arm instruction set in their custom cpu design. the results speak for themselves. this has nothing to do with 64 bit or whatever, that part is understood, but the newer instruction set will give better single core performance. you can clearly see that the multithreaded performance still lags the other chips, but this doesnt represent real world usage. its all in the experience of the user. the gpu on the other hand is comparable to some of those other chips,but will give the illusion that its better because of the native resolution of the devices.

i expect,like always, other cpus to finally pull ahead once they go with the new instruction set. then we do the dance again next time.

I don't mean to defend them.  However, I would rather see something different in a device, instead of this stupid benchmark rat race that everyone, including Apple, is using to justify upgrade reasons.

Hardware was fast enough with the 5.  I rather see these companies producing handsets (Android too) focus on new features, not something faster that most, if any will not even notice.

I was actually impressed with the Moto X.  Not impressed enough to buy it, but it was refreshing to see something new come to market instead of something that is more powerful than it needs to be and nothing else.

There's nothing to defend. Moving to Cortex A50 series chips has been on the road map for a long time. Apple just did it first. There are multiple reasons for going quad core, and to dismiss it as not being any better at all is just as silly as thinking quad core means twice as fast as dual core. Android can utilize multiple cores much better than iOS or WP due to the fact that it allows for more robust multitasking. Additionally, quad core can help with battery life allowing multiple cores to run at lower clock frequencies than one or two cores being loaded with all the work. Dual core can definitely be plenty on a phone, but quad core can also have distinct advantages as well, though in iOS and WP where you mostly focus on fewer apps at a time, those advantages aren't as evident or necessary.

• Like 1

There's nothing to defend. Moving to Cortex A50 series chips has been on the road map for a long time. Apple just did it first. There are multiple reasons for going quad core, and to dismiss it as not being any better at all is just as silly as thinking quad core means twice as fast as dual core. Android can utilize multiple cores much better than iOS or WP due to the fact that it allows for more robust multitasking. Additionally, quad core can help with battery life allowing multiple cores to run at lower clock frequencies than one or two cores being loaded with all the work. Dual core can definitely be plenty on a phone, but quad core can also have distinct advantages as well, though in iOS and WP where you mostly focus on fewer apps at a time, those advantages aren't as evident or necessary.

How do you know how good wp is with quad core/ Do you have a beta of gdr3?

Hardware was fast enough with the 5.  I rather see these companies producing handsets (Android too) focus on new features, not something faster that most, if any will not even notice.

To be fair, most new features come in the form of software updates.  Android, iOS, and WP all add more features with each iteration of their software.

With the 5S, they've updated the CPU/GPU, added the biometric scanner, and updated the camera.   Those are all pretty significant hardware features that they've improved. I honestly can't think of any specific feature that I wish Apple would add, except for maybe a bigger screen.  Besides that, I think they've been doing a great job giving people the incentive to upgrade.

To be fair, most new features come in the form of software updates.  Android, iOS, and WP all add more features with each iteration of their software.

With the 5S, they've updated the CPU/GPU, added the biometric scanner, and updated the camera.   Those are all pretty significant hardware features that they've improved. I honestly can't think of any specific feature that I wish Apple would add, except for maybe a bigger screen.  Besides that, I think they've been doing a great job giving people the incentive to upgrade.

Well, my rant was more towards Android (and I am an android user), but Apple has been guilty of it before too.

The 5 to 5s was a poor example, because they did actually change it up a lot between iOS7 and the extra hardware.

Did you just say that android utilizes multiple cores better than the NT kernel.... excuse me while I laugh a little.

I honestly can't think of any specific feature that I wish Apple would add, except for maybe a bigger screen.  Besides that, I think they've been doing a great job giving people the incentive to upgrade.

I agree. The smaller screen is probably one of my biggest reasons I don't use Apple. I can hardly use my wife's iPhone after using my big Note 2.

But Apple really gives a lot of incentive to upgrade, especially this time.

Did you just say that android utilizes multiple cores better than the NT kernel.... excuse me while I laugh a little.

No, I sure didn't. You seem to be having a lot of trouble actually reading my posts prior to replying recently. I said the OS itself, as in Windows Phone. That's the OS. Not NT, that's the kernel. I said that the OS itself does not utilize multitasking to the extent that Android does. iOS and WP focus more on the foreground apps and less on background as compared to Android.

I don't have the cross-platform low level development experience to compare the NT kernel to the Linux kernel in SMP performance, as I doubt that you do either, though I know they are both highly proficient at it and that it has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

There's nothing to defend. Moving to Cortex A50 series chips has been on the road map for a long time. Apple just did it first.

you were getting pretty defensive going on about how javascript benchmarks are not fair. yeah,there might be some discrepancies,but we cant dismiss the benchmarks,knowing full well theres a new instruction set here in play. And I did say that apple did it first,but only because other manufacturers were trying to one up each other with 8 core chips.

There are multiple reasons for going quad core, and to dismiss it as not being any better at all is just as silly as thinking quad core means twice as fast as dual core. Android can utilize multiple cores much better than iOS or WP due to the fact that it allows for more robust multitasking. Additionally, quad core can help with battery life allowing multiple cores to run at lower clock frequencies than one or two cores being loaded with all the work. Dual core can definitely be plenty on a phone, but quad core can also have distinct advantages as well, though in iOS and WP where you mostly focus on fewer apps at a time, those advantages aren't as evident or necessary.

im not dismissing quad core, im dismissing its importance in comparison to single threaded performance on a phone today. I do know that processes can be spread out across the cores,thats nice and all, but in non multithreaded apps, your speed is always going to be capped by the core speed,no matter how many cores you add,and we're not at a point yet where most of these apps are are being multithreaded. thats still a long way,and using it as marketing material is kinda gimmicky.  people keep dogging on windows phone because "lolz it doesnt support quad core" , but who cares since background tasks are suspended anyways,and the amount of software needing the power of many cores is low.

I don't mean to defend them.  However, I would rather see something different in a device, instead of this stupid benchmark rat race that everyone, including Apple, is using to justify upgrade reasons.

I was actually impressed with the Moto X.  Not impressed enough to buy it, but it was refreshing to see something new come to market instead of something that is more powerful than it needs to be and nothing else.

i agree that benchmarks dont tell the whole story, or even tell you how fast something really is, but what we do know is that it is using the newer instruction set. arguing that a chip using the older instruction set,and is showing lower numbers in benchmarks, could be faster or comparable would sound pretty ridiculous,especially with a set of tests we've always used to do our comparisons in the past. thats what i mean.

No, I sure didn't. You seem to be having a lot of trouble actually reading my posts prior to replying recently. I said the OS itself, as in Windows Phone. That's the OS. Not NT, that's the kernel. I said that the OS itself does not utilize multitasking to the extent that Android does. iOS and WP focus more on the foreground apps and less on background as compared to Android.

I don't have the cross-platform low level development experience to compare the NT kernel to the Linux kernel in SMP performance, as I doubt that you do either, though I know they are both highly proficient at it and that it has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

As an android user I can testify that androids usage of multitasking in the OS is downright terrible though. 

whether you use ios, android or wp you won't notice a difference in the multitasking in reality. or to sim it up, it's a feaking phone. 

I updated my daughter's phone last night, so I have.

I am definitely not a fan.  iOS6 looked a lot more professional.

Some of the new icons look really bad (e.g Game Center, Safari, etc), so I hid those in a folder.

But overall, imo they did a nice job reorganizing things and making the UI a bit less bland.

After seeing screenshots of the Beta, I really dreaded the coming update, but after using it for a week, I'm surprised how nice it turned out.

Personally, I like the Control Center and that the camera is now even faster (since they killed the shutter animation).

It's not really that much different than iOS 6, but they've added some nice touches.