Microsoft: Stand the Xbox One any way you like, as long as it's flat

Granted they're not saying it won't work vertical, they're saying they didn't design, test or support it.

MS do not have the ability to test something as basic as putting their console on it's side?  :s The below reads quite clearly we have tested it, and it somehow leads to "busted hardware". So why not tell us how a disc drive has that threat considering we've had generations of disc drives loading on their side just fine. Yes we've had issues with faulty drives every single generation, but the console that work fine, work fine on their side. Are they purposely using the cheapest of the cheap disc drive for example?

top Xbox bod Albert Panello said the One doesn't "support vertical orientation," or: you shouldn't stand it up. Panello explains the console's slot-loading drive simply wasn't designed for operating in that position, and if you're a rebellious type that laughs at the threat of busted hardware, you'll be ignoring official advice "at your own risk."

MS do not have the ability to test something as basic as putting their console on it's side? :s The below reads quite clearly we have tested it, and it somehow leads to "busted hardware". So why not tell us how a disc drive has that threat considering we've had generations of disc drives loading on their side just fine. Yes we've had issues with faulty drives every single generation, but the console that work fine, work fine on their side. Are they purposely using the cheapest of the cheap disc drive for example?

:rolleyes:

MS do not have the ability to test something as basic as putting their console on it's side?  :s The below reads quite clearly we have tested it, and it somehow leads to "busted hardware". So why not tell us how a disc drive has that threat considering we've had generations of disc drives loading on their side just fine. Yes we've had issues with faulty drives every single generation, but the console that work fine, work fine on their side. Are they purposely using the cheapest of the cheap disc drive for example?

Sure they do, but they never designed or intended it to be vertical, so why would they test something you're not supposed to do?

And btw, you're the only one getting your panties in a bunch in this thread trying to rile u people with your childish trolling.

"Bahahaha, your console can't be used vertically, that is sooooo stoooopid"

That's what your posts here sound like to everyone else.

• Like 3

Sure they do, but they never designed or intended it to be vertical, so why would they test something you're not supposed to do?

And btw, you're the only one getting your panties in a bunch in this thread trying to rile u people with your childish trolling.

That's what your posts here sound like to everyone else.

Well it's good how something sounds when it is merely text on a messageboard is in the "ear of the beholder". I think anything I post on Neowin to you sounds like an unjustified attack on your opinion/MS/your belief, so you do quite often overreact simply because I'm posting. If anything is childish that is, that is how a kid reacts even when it's parents give decent reasons as to why it can't have ice cream right before dinner, but the kid just hears what it wants "we're big bad mean parents stopping you having your ice cream".

What is wrong with questioning Penello's slot based loading answer when we have empirical evidence that slot loading drives can work vertically? Nothing is, as long as it's not Audioboxer asking I guess.

If no one cares why are some of you getting your panties in such a twist over what I'm posting? That doesn't scream "pretty much no one cares". The exact opposite actually, "I care so much about not caring if anyone else does cares I need to tell them I don't care because I care feverishly about not caring.".

Maybe because it was not designed with any feet or anything to stand stable on its side so  if it wobbles them boom your disc is going to get scratched to hell most likely.

^^^ This. AB you're being ridiculous. It's not designed to work vertically, like my car's not designed to go underwater.

Title is wrong, upside down is also flat.

Good to see that AB just had to enter every Xbox thread to troll for no reason still

And here we have hawkman continue to say anyone who doesn't blindly praise the xbox is a troll.

^^^ This. AB you're being ridiculous. It's not designed to work vertically, like my car's not designed to go underwater.

Clearly your car may just have been designed with the cheapest materials. You should demand more information from the manufacturer :P

• Like 2

And here we have hawkman continue to say anyone who doesn't blindly praise the xbox is a troll.

Its true if you post on xbox thread just to talk negative all the time.  Same for people that post on sony threads to talk negative. Trolls are trolls.

I have to agree with AudioBoxer on this however I for one had issues side loading on the 360 so would never have planned to use my XB1 like that but it does beg the question why?

Before anyone claims I'm Anti-MS or a PS fanboy, I have an XB1 on pre-order NOT a PS4 and one of the "deluded" fools who didn't mind DRM and look forward to tv, tv, tv etc so I'm pretty far away from any of that. At the end of the day it really doesn't matter to me but it just seems kinda strange to me.

That's a fairly silly analogy as you don't really get cars that are "designed" to go underwater - no James Bonds car doesn't count! Other Consoles are able to do this.

It's like saying my car was never designed to have ABS so i'll just accept it because someone told me with it, the car would break. Other cars have it, why can't mine?

And the original massively sized PS3 shouted put me vertically?

Anyway, Albert's reasoning isn't even the size, dimensions or air flow of the console, it's the disc drive. Hence why I threw out a completely rational objection to the claim, how come other slot loading drives work fine? Have MS tested it and it scratches discs? If so wouldn't you want to avoid that and use a slot loading drive that doesn't do that instead of relying on the general public not potentially doing something they've done for generations?

That's a good question.  It could be that MS is too worried that in the vertical position it could lead to issues, even if they didn't find any glaring faults during testing.  Maybe they are basing their fear on how the 360 handled discs vertically.  I think its more then how the slot loading drive itself is or isn't made.

I always kept my 360 laying flat along with my ps3 out of fear that something could happen to the disc if there was any extra vibrations or the console was moved while in that position. 

Its possible that due to the size of the X1, MS feels that is safer in the long run to just recommend it be kept flat.  Remember, its a larger case than the ps4. 

Since they didn't say that it couldn't be used vertically, then there is nothing stopping a user from doing that.  It wont mess with the cooling, so as long as they keep the console secure, I don't see why it wouldn't work. 

Back in my barracks days my room mate told me I was supposed to stand my PS2 on end vertically because it was designed that way and having it horizontal was wrong. :rolleyes:

I guess I should have used one of those stupid PS2 Horizontal Stands that were sold as an official accessory.

I have to agree with AudioBoxer on this however I for one had issues side loading on the 360 so would never have planned to use my XB1 like that but it does beg the question why?

That goes back to my point.  MS may have long term concerns even if the slot loading drive itself is not at fault. 

That's a fairly silly analogy as you don't really get cars that are "designed" to go underwater - no James Bonds car doesn't count! Other Consoles are able to do this.

It's like saying my car was never designed to have ABS so i'll just accept it because someone told me with it, the car would break. Other cars have it, why can't mine?

I would say because you should have bought the car with ABS if you wanted it.Your not entitled to it just because another company has it. 

It does not matter what another system can or cant do. They are sayingthey dont want you to so deal with it or buy one that can if its a deal breaker

It's fair to say that Microsoft didn't  design it to use vertically --> which leads us to --> they did not test it in that orientation.

So what are they to say publicly?

I say that Albert's reasoning is a bit odd but given how stupid people were with Xbox 360 - changing orientation while discs were inside and then blaming Microsoft the evil empire, I think he is just being cautious.

Or am I merely pointing out that the only reason AB posted in this thread was to troll and incite.

But then again, it would be pointless to make that argument with you since you're part of the "troll the Xbox at every possibility gang"

I don't mind normal criticism, this wasn't it, this was merely AB again trolling the Xbox in a topic merely discussing a minor issue, anyhe making a mountain out of it.

• Like 1

That goes back to my point.  MS may have long term concerns even if the slot loading drive itself is not at fault. 

I have to agree, I'm pretty sure it was supported to have the 360 standing vertical however my GoW disk was shredded and the only reason I could come up with was because of this. I changed it to horizontal and have never had an issue since, coincidence? maybe but id rather not take the chance.

I would say because you should have bought the car with ABS if you wanted it.Your not entitled to it just because another company has it. 

It does not matter what another system can or cant do. They are sayingthey dont want you to so deal with it or buy one that can if its a deal breaker

I think your only adding to my point that car analogies are silly :P Maybe I am too curious for my own good but if someone tells me I can't do something with my more expensive console choice, when it seemingly hasn't been a problem in the past nor a problem with the competitors I want to know why. It's not a deal breaker because I always planned to store it that way. 

It's fair to say that Microsoft didn't  design it to use vertically --> which leads us to --> they did not test it in that orientation.

So what are they to say publicly?

I say that Albert's reasoning is a bit odd but given how stupid people were with Xbox 360 - changing orientation while discs were inside and then blaming Microsoft the evil empire, I think he is just being cautious.

Like I said above in reply to Trooper, I suspect they have tested and found issues. Maybe they have a different stance but the software company I work for would never say Don't do something if they hadn't tested it or had good reason to. We love to use the good old "we haven't tested that scenario so feel free to do it, however as it's not tested and you find issues then we will ask you to go back to the 'recommended' configuration".

Better and correct analogy, his car isn't designed to go sideways, neither is the One.

Better and correct analogy, his car isn't designed to go sideways, neither is the One.

IMO it isn't and an argument I find I have had with software developers in my company many times.

Saying it isn't designed to do something isn't an answer when it's possible. If something IS possible then my question is why, why when you CAN design an object to do something, was it chosen not to. 

IF you CAN design a car to go underwater, why not?

IF you CAN design a car to go sideways, why didn't you?

IF consoles CAN stand on their side, Why are you telling me this one cant?

I really don't see this as an Anti-XB1 question, I just want to understand the reasons. It won't affect my pre-order, I was going to have it horizontal anyway I just want to know why!

It has no feets to stand on on the side, you'd be blocking up the air vents on that side.

Why would the design it to stand on its side? It's not how they intended it, from A to B it was designed as a horizontal console.

If you where to design something for every possibility, it'd never be done. If the programmers at your work went to a decent school they'd tell you about something I don't actually have an English word for, but can loosely be translated at "limiting" though that's wrong as well. Which is a process you do at least once towards the end of a project, when you decide what features you can realistically keep by the "launch" date.

Similarly at the start of a project you set a whole other lists of stuff you would like, and decide which ones you can't easily realistically do, which ones are important and which ones don't matter. Horizontal placement never made they design list.

As I said you can't do everything, if they where to support vertical. They would have to add big feet on the "side" to allow the fan to suck in enough air when vertical, even then you reduce airflow massively. This ruins the design and causes a less efficient design, then they would have to spend a lot more resources testing. As every test they did horizontal they would have to do vertical. Effectively doubling the QnA budget.

Also let me guess, at this job, you're not a coder, project leader or QnA ? Possibly deployment or support

Like I said above in reply to Trooper, I suspect they have tested and found issues. Maybe they have a different stance but the software company I work for would never say Don't do something if they hadn't tested it or had good reason to. We love to use the good old "we haven't tested that scenario so feel free to do it, however as it's not tested and you find issues then we will ask you to go back to the 'recommended' configuration".

Isn't that close to Microsoft said with this? and yes, we do throw that out "we haven't tested that scenario but do it at your own risk" at work too (:laugh:) but in this case, we are talking about hardware.

Funny story, I remember having some issues with a couple games with my PS2 that I found out, worked fine whenever I started the game with the console upside down.

Don't ask me how or why, but if the PS2 could play games upside down, it's clearly an expectation for the PS4/XBO. :P

(I'm joking for those that are really that dense)