U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with

In what only can be described as a scene out of Tom Cruise?s ?Top Gun,? Gen. Mark A. Welsh IIIAir Force chief of staff, describes how F-22 stealth jets scared off Iranian jets from a U.S. drone flying in international airspace.

The Aviationist reports that in March a U.S. MQ-1 drone came close to being intercepted by an Iranian F-4 Phantom combat plane, but the Iranian aircraft stopped short after a warning by an American pilot.

?He [the Raptor pilot] flew under their aircraft [the F-4s] to check out their weapons load without them knowing that he was there, and then pulled up on their left wing and then called them and said ?you really ought to go homeicon1.png,?? Gen. Welsh said.

According to The Aviationist, the Iranians came within 16 miles of the drone.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/sep/19/us-pilot-scares-iranians-top-gun-worthy-stunt-you-/#ixzz2fV19Ol4P 
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Good story but there are a few holes in it.

Firstly how did the F-22 fly under and then to the left of the Iranian jet without being detected. His radar would need to be turned off (Very unlikely considering its almost always on and double unlikely when he is already in pursuit).

Maybe the F-22 had EMF-type transmitter to disrupt the Iranian jets radar system but then you would notice this disruption and he would not have been able to track the drone so would have needed to pull away regardless.

Next the F-22 pilot would need to speak Iranian or the Iranian Pilot would need to speak English to understand each other. (Both possibilities unlikely, which is why military has universal communication like flags, (ship/plane/etc) maneuvers, light signals and etc.

I think its more likely that the pilot was just telling a story (aka jargon) like most military personnel tell which didn't actually happen but seems cool and believable to people who have never served or worked with the military.

- Note: All voice traffic is recorded on major military equipment (jets, other planes, ships, etc, so if it did happen same as the Air traffic controller one above it would have a recording of it.

The only story similar to these I've heard which had the actual radio recording is this one:

immovableobject.gif

Bell-Rock-Lighthouse.jpg

Canadian Lighthouse: 1 - US Military: 0

1) this isn't 1995 (the carrier incident)

2) approaching undetected and making an opponent soil his Depends is what the F-22 is intended to do, and yes it can go radio silent and use passive sensors. Apparently it does its job well.

Firstly how did the F-22 fly under and then to the left of the Iranian jet without being detected. His radar would need to be turned off (Very unlikely considering its almost always on and double unlikely when he is already in pursuit).

Maybe the F-22 had EMF-type transmitter to disrupt the Iranian jets radar system but then you would notice this disruption and he would not have been able to track the drone so would have needed to pull away regardless.

Next the F-22 pilot would need to speak Iranian or the Iranian Pilot would need to speak English to understand each other. (Both possibilities unlikely, which is why military has universal communication like flags, (ship/plane/etc) maneuvers, light signals and etc.

I think its more likely that the pilot was just telling a story (aka jargon) like most military personnel tell which didn't actually happen but seems cool and believable to people who have never served or worked with the military.

- Note: All voice traffic is recorded on major military equipment (jets, other planes, ships, etc, so if it did happen same as the Air traffic controller one above it would have a recording of it.

The only story similar to these I've heard which had the actual radio recording is this one:

I'm sorry, but you don't know much about 5th gen fighters.

The F-22 was able to fly near the f-4's undetected because that's one of the main things a 5th gen fighter is supposed to do! They're designed to be invisible to radar, have RAM (radar absorbing material) coating all over the aircraft, and on top of that, their Radar systems are able to work passively. The f-22's Radar doesn't work like a typical older-gen radar. It's an advanced AESA radar which is made up of over a thousand transmitting modules which can be turned on and off individually. In this typical scenario, the radar would only light up a few of the TR modules and be able to detect the aircraft without the F-4's RWR being able to detect.

Sorry this was a rushed post but i'll be able to elaborate more if you wish later on.

immovableobject.gif

Bell-Rock-Lighthouse.jpg

The F22 is a "STEALTH" fighter, it means it doesn't show up on radar, at least not old F4 radars. it also doesn't use it's own radar it uses the radar from an AWACS to avoid being detected from active emissions. 

That said I don't necessarily buy this story, it's possible, especially against an aging F4. BUT if it was I don't, it was likely far less dramatic than described, if he was under the plane, we wouldn't be right under as the story makes out, that would be dumb as the other plane could pull down at any time. but most likely he was far under and to the side. most Jet pilots would be able to speak english though, but they wouldn't necessarily be on the same channel. Not sure if Jets have an open shared channel for such coms, but most likely he just pulled up and the other guy pulled away. 

immovableobject.gif

Bell-Rock-Lighthouse.jpg

that light house story is completely made up, has been circulating since before the internet even existed (as far back as world war II) and the country the lighthouse is from changes frequently.

Perhaps this story would have been newsworthy had it been about a manned US aircraft and a maneuver that saved the pilot's life but we're talking about a drone here. As it stands I couldn't care less.

Perhaps this story would have been newsworthy had it been about a manned US aircraft and a maneuver that saved the pilot's life but we're talking about a drone here. As it stands I couldn't care less.

I think one of us may need to re-read the article. The Iranians were going to intercept a drone, but the (manned) F-22 stealth fighter intervened. ;)

I think one of us may need to re-read the article. The Iranians were going to intercept a drone, but the (manned) F-22 stealth fighter intervened. ;)

Sorry if I wasn't clear. My point was that there was no need to send in a manned aircraft to protect an unmanned drone - it was an unnecessary situation. The whole point of drones is to eliminate the risk posed to pilots.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. My point was that there was no need to send in a manned aircraft to protect an unmanned drone - it was an unnecessary situation. The whole point of drones is to eliminate the risk posed to pilots.

Drones are expensive. and well, lets be honest, an F4 didn't pose any risk to the F22, if the story is true. 

Ahh, there is a similar video that has been floating around, rather hilarious... here it is: http://tune.pk/video/267301/USS-Montanna

And NO this is not true, refer: http://www.snopes.com/military/lighthouse.asp

As everyone said, F22 is a STEALTH fighter, you will need to read on it on your own.

What likely happened was an F-22 stationed near the Gulf (ex: some are at Al Dafra - UAE) was on patrol or was training when the AWACS made the call Iranians were shadowing the Predator. The flyboys know the drill after that.