U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with

This one however sounds a lot like one of them bragging stories that are made up like the light house. 

That picture has nothing to do with an actual event.

Perhaps this story would have been newsworthy had it been about a manned US aircraft and a maneuver that saved the pilot's life but we're talking about a drone here. As it stands I couldn't care less.

And yet you decided to post multiple times about the story. 

approaching undetected and making an opponent soil his Depends is what the F-22 is intended to do, and yes it can go radio silent and use passive sensors. Apparently it does its job well.

Very well indeed.

I'm sorry, but you don't know much about 5th gen fighters.

The F-22 was able to fly near the f-4's undetected because that's one of the main things a 5th gen fighter is supposed to do! They're designed to be invisible to radar, have RAM (radar absorbing material) coating all over the aircraft, and on top of that, their Radar systems are able to work passively. The f-22's Radar doesn't work like a typical older-gen radar. It's an advanced AESA radar which is made up of over a thousand transmitting modules which can be turned on and off individually. In this typical scenario, the radar would only light up a few of the TR modules and be able to detect the aircraft without the F-4's RWR being able to detect.

Sorry this was a rushed post but i'll be able to elaborate more if you wish later on.

The best you can do with a stealth designed plane and radar absorbing material/coating is make yourself smaller (even undetectable at longer range) on a radar screen but if he was sitting just below him he would be easily seen. The f-22's radar system working passively wouldn't matter in this regards either (transmitting modules are not passive btw - its in the name..  and I know the AESA system, unless the Iranian jet had an upgraded radar system it wouldn't be able to detect a f-22's radar streams) because it would have a clear picture based on returned RF signals bouncing off the f-22 especially at that range so noise from another active radar wouldn't really matter.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. My point was that there was no need to send in a manned aircraft to protect an unmanned drone - it was an unnecessary situation. The whole point of drones is to eliminate the risk posed to pilots.

Dont think you want folk getting hold of your drone after you`ve been using it to spy on them? Likewise the tech etc on board the drone and software held within it are all valuable commodities.

Not to mention Iran has a habit of trying to reverse engineer drones that enter its airspace. In fact Im pretty sure they caught a U.S drone before, which we were then told was old hat and wasnt a big operational player, like its newer drone brothers.

Also most drones of this sort, wont/wouldnt be armed. There built with one purpose, recon! There are much different drones for fighting!

The best you can do with a stealth designed plane and radar absorbing material/coating is make yourself smaller (even undetectable at longer range) on a radar screen but if he was sitting just below him he would be easily seen. The f-22's radar system working passively wouldn't matter in this regards either (transmitting modules are not passive btw - its in the name..  and I know the AESA system, unless the Iranian jet had an upgraded radar system it wouldn't be able to detect a f-22's radar streams) because it would have a clear picture based on returned RF signals bouncing off the f-22 especially at that range so noise from another active radar wouldn't really matter.

You do know that jet plane radars a re primarily forward cone right .

And the radar in an F4 is not advanced enough by miles to decide that the bird moving at Mach 2 isn't a bird.

The F4 doesn't have active system to detect the raptor. And they only look for active radar signatures not so much other electronics signals. Which the F22 also masks.

Sorry, I wasn't implying the AESA radar but the other sensors that are embedded throughout the F-22. You fail to see that the f-22 came up from behind the F-4...the F-4's RWR is not a Radar, it listens for transmissions. Since the f-22's systems are able to work passively, the F-4 wouldn't have been able to detect it at all.

I don't know anything about planes or even if this actually happened but i expect the Iranian planes are not as good as the US ones. Basically the Iranians used COMMON SENSE, not that they ran away, scared and crying, why would they bother attacking something that would beat them??

If the drone was in Iranian air space they have every right to intercept or shoot it down.

In my opinion all this article shows is that the US are bullies, we have better stuff so we can do what we want.

I don't know anything about planes or even if this actually happened but i expect the Iranian planes are not as good as the US ones. Basically the Iranians used COMMON SENSE, not that they ran away, scared and crying, why would they bother attacking something that would beat them??

If the drone was in Iranian air space they have every right to intercept or shoot it down.

In my opinion all this article shows is that the US are bullies, we have better stuff so we can do what we want.

They were in international airspace.. The U.S was just protecting its assets not being bullies. 

Seems a lot of people underestimate the military power available to the United States.  This is exactly why the F-22 was built.  So people didn't see it, unless the pilot wanted you to see it.

• Like 1

The F4 besides being known as the 'Wild Weasel', it is often being referred to as the 'Flying Coffin' by actual pilots. 

No matter what I hear on a story involving an F22 owning an F4, I will believe it because even if it is not real it could very easily happen.

They were in international airspace.. The U.S was just protecting its assets not being bullies. 

So the US says it was in the international airspace and the Iranians say they were in theirs but obviously it must be what the US is saying right? Like the Russians a week back said they weren't in our airspace but somehow people could even take pictures of SU-22/24's...

So the US says it was in the international airspace and the Iranians say they were in theirs but obviously it must be what the US is saying right? Like the Russians a week back said they weren't in our airspace but somehow people could even take pictures of SU-22/24's...

Where's the evidence, especially since the Gulf & Straits are international waters and Predator doesn't need to be anywhere near land to observe Iranian ships & coastal facilities from its operational altitude?

The Iranians could easily publish their (faked up) radar traces, but they haven't and likely won't because there would be dozens of others (commercial and military - the region's a radar farm) overlapping the area and contradicting them.

Where's the evidence, especially since the Gulf & Straits are international waters and Predator doesn't need to be anywhere near land to observe Iranian ships & coastal facilities from its operational altitude?

The Iranians could easily publish their (faked up) radar traces, but they haven't and likely won't because there would be dozens of others (commercial and military - the region's a radar farm) overlapping the area and contradicting them.

Without all the long story, where's your proof that US ain't lying? Just cause they say so? Laughable to say the least, considering the track record.