Upload Speed & Browsing

Go to solution Solved by warwagon,

Question

+longgonebn

So I am fairly technical but I do not understand how Upload & Download works, clearly.

I have a 45Mbps Download & 4Mbps Upload connection. Despite whatever speed I have for Upload, whenever I am uploading, I can't do anything. Browsing, chating or anything is completely slow, almost to the point where things don't load at all.

Why? Upload is not connected to Download? Or is it....and how does it affect it so much...am I the only one and this is some weird setting I need to change? WTF?

3 answers to this question

+warwagon

I'm going to copy a response from another forum

When you surf on the internet, you make DNS requests, connect to the sites you are about to visit, etc. These are all small uploads to the sites. And when you download something from those sites be it a picture or a page, you always send an acknowledgment packet for every data packet they send to you.

When you upload and surf at the same time, if you are uploading with all bandwidth available to you, your computer may not be able to send these aforementioned packets fast enough and so your download speed drops down.

+longgonebn

That is a great answer.

That explains it completely and I understand. Now, are there any smart people trying to find a better way to do this, so this does not happen? lol

Roger H.

In general you just need a fatter upload pipe as they are tied together. Say you had a 1Gbps download but only a 1Mbps upload, you'd never be able to download at 1Gbps (barring other reasons why you couldn't' :p) simply because the server doesn't get a "yeah I got that one, send another" fast enough so it waits and waits till it does then sends.

Basically you are supposed to have a 40/40Mbps plan instead of a 40/4Mbps. ISPs thought I cheaper to go asymmetric (more download than upload) because nobody needs much upload so now we pay the price. Most of the tech already out there to connect us is asymmetric in nature. Even FiOS with fiber optic setup went with hardware that does 1.5Gbps down and like 600Mbps up. That's why their fastest plan is 500/100Mbps. The backend hardware is not 1.5Gbps both ways so they gotta limit it. Now Google Fiber went with "better" hardware in the beginning in the backend so it can do full speeds both ways. Technically Verizon and other ISPs can do it too, they'll just need to spend TONS of cash which obviously they wont want to do.

The ISPs use 10/10Gbps line to connect to the internet (or 40Gbps) so they are already all set waaay in the back room, just up front where we connect is the issue.