Can't update apps due to not being on iOS 7

yuppp...i see notification badges on the app store and no apps to update inside the app. it actually will refuse to update if i find the specific app page and the "update" button is active  

Thankfully I have only had one app that has had an update but didn't update because it requires iOS7. It referred me to download the previous version that is compatible with iOS6 which I already had, i.e. TV Guide app.. I kinda left a rant review for making a tv listings app require the "ADVANCED technology" that comes from iOS7 and/or a newer device.... Other than that one instance, all the apps that I have that got updated for iOS 7 included updates for previous versions of iOS so Im happy I guess..

If older devices can't have iOS7 then at least let us have iOS7 style apps.. I DONT CARE if the design doesn't go with iOS 6. Its jailbroken and its as close to looking like iOS7 as I can get it.

Okay, I thought it was just me. I transformed the phone to look just like iOS 7. I want to keep my jailbreak, but I also want my apps updated. Quite annoying to be forced to update if we don't want to.

Well, if your device does support iOS7 then there will always be another jailbreak eventually.

My problem is the inability to get iOS7..

I know this, just annoying when 2 of my apps that I use regularly won't update since I'm not on iOS 7.

don't they have to force ios7 on everyone to keep from getting fragmented?  no worries about stuff not working on a device if they all run the same version of ios

Its impossible to not have any fragmentation with users of older devices that can't upgrade..

I know this, just annoying when 2 of my apps that I use regularly won't update since I'm not on iOS 7.

(On iOS6 since iOS7 was released) I've seen a few apps where there will be a badge on the appstore and say there are 2 or 6,etc apps to be updated but when you open the store it says there aren't any to be updated. But I've had an app for a few years now called Appshopper. I put in a list what apps I have downloaded and it will then tell me things like if its been updated or if the price has changed. Well I use that to see which apps the badge is talking about and then I just go to them manually and update them that way. In only one instance did it not let me have the new version and offered to let me download the previous version which I already had.

If older devices can't have iOS7 then at least let us have iOS7 style apps.. I DONT CARE if the design doesn't go with iOS 6. Its jailbroken and its as close to looking like iOS7 as I can get it.

I think that is actually the exact problem.  If an app is calling a function in iOS7 that didn't exist in iOS6, then obviously it won't be compatible in iOS6.  So it could be that those developers are willingly abandoning people with older iOS versions by not including legacy code or OS version checks.

I think that is actually the exact problem.  If an app is calling a function in iOS7 that didn't exist in iOS6, then obviously it won't be compatible in iOS6.  So it could be that those developers are willingly abandoning people with older iOS versions by not including legacy code or OS version checks.

Well then thats just annoying... I am sure they could of changed the UI without changing the way they wrote the app.

Welcome to Apple operating system upgrades and their two-way non-existent backward compatibility. Please, take a seat.

At least now you get free updates thanks to the store. On OS X all the software being eternally incompatible with both the previous AND the next version of the operating system meant you had to re-buy every software at every new operating system release and buying every new operating system release to run new software (not to mention new macs to run the new operating system).

• Like 2

Welcome to Apple operating system upgrades and their two-way non-existent backward compatibility. Please, take a seat.

At least now you get free updates thanks to the store. On OS X all the software being eternally incompatible with both the previous AND the next version of the operating system meant you had to re-buy every software at every new operating system release and buying every new operating system release to run new software (not to mention new macs to run the new operating system).

What are you rambling on about? My 2009 iMac is running just as good with OSX Mavericks as it did with OSX Snow Leopard.

Tell that to 32bit PPC users, 64bit PPC users and Intel 32bit-chipsets users.

Not my problem. I usually upgrade computers every 4 years when I had Windows, and I feel no need for an upgrade for a few more years.

But this is a topic about iOS, not their OS.

Not my problem. I usually upgrade computers every 4 years when I had Windows, and I feel no need for an upgrade for a few more years.

Just because it's "not your problem" doesn't mean that it doesn't actually exists. I can still run almost everything XP machines more than a decade old.

But this is a topic about iOS, not their OS.

Then why answer about the OS X part of my post while it was mainly targeted at iOS?

• Like 2

The least they could do is have the App Store detect the version and not list the update if the user isn't running the right iOS.

That being said, there are a lot of under the hood changes in iOS 7 that developers what to take advantage of.

Not only that, but the update is going to be pushed via OTA to all iOS7 compatible devices. One user had it update to iOS 7 while she slept.

Read about it here - http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/09/apple-is-automatically-pushing-out-ios-7-to-holdout-devices

Still, I can say that if you have an iOS-capable iPad, update when feasible - there ARE performance gains over iOS 6, and especially for wireless-N and Bluetooth, oddly enough.

This isn't Apple's doing - this is the developers. If a developer chooses to target only iOS 7 with a particular build, there's not much Apple can do about that. Developers are still more than welcome to submit apps with support for iOS 5 and/or 6. If they choose not to that's their own doing.

Tell that to 32bit PPC users, 64bit PPC users and Intel 32bit-chipsets users.

PPC was last sold around 2005/06 so thats already 8 odd years old. I have a MacBook i brought in 2006 thats 32bit Intel, making the last supported OS Snow Leopard, however it runs pretty much all the software i need, the only thing that limits it is the hardware itself, 2GB RAM and an Intel Core Duo. However Snow leopard runs really well on it, even aperture works well enough to be usable. 

That MacBook is 7 years old, Apple have always been a company that pushes forward, it's why they could switch from PPC to Intel so well and why the switch to 64bit was so painless. 

It's a eco system in which you have to keep up or get left behind, it's one of those things about owning apple kit. 

PPC was last sold around 2005/06 so thats already 8 odd years old. I have a MacBook i brought in 2006 thats 32bit Intel, making the last supported OS Snow Leopard, however it runs pretty much all the software i need, the only thing that limits it is the hardware itself, 2GB RAM and an Intel Core Duo. However Snow leopard runs really well on it, even aperture works well enough to be usable. 

That MacBook is 7 years old, Apple have always been a company that pushes forward, it's why they could switch from PPC to Intel so well and why the switch to 64bit was so painless. 

It's a eco system in which you have to keep up or get left behind, it's one of those things about owning apple kit. 

Was it 8 years old when the support was dropped? No, randomly stretching the dates like that makes just as much sense as calling the lack of upgrade a 'painless switch'.

Windows 98 is still usable on my old Pentium MMX and can still run pinnacle studio 7 so everything is fine, right? No, that argument doesn't make much sense either.

• Like 1

WAIT

I keep hearing how Android is so inferior to iOS because fragmentation, and now I hear that the mythical iOS has fragmentation also?

And I'm the hater for making similar statements in other threads, and most iOS users ignore the facts that there's fragmentation in iOS