Tesco puts its name to a budget 7-inch tablet in the UK: the

tesch-hudl-lead.jpg

Not content with flogging other people's smartphones and tablets, now UK supermarket chain Tesco has become the latest to launch one of its own. Priced at ?119 and available from September 30th, the Hudl features a 7-inch (1,440 x 900 pixel) display for watching those Blinkbox titles in 720p, quad-core 1.5GHz processor, stock Android 4.2.2, microSD expansion beyond the 16GB of internal storage and, according to Tesco, will last around 9 hours on a full charge. Some of the specs, such as dual WiFi antennas stereo speakers (on the rear face) seem carefully designed to square up against Amazon's Kindle Fire HD, which, at ?160, may suddenly look expensive beside the Hudl.

The device is slightly chubby and plasticky, as you'd expect, but it's not some rebadge. Tesco says it worked directly with a manufacturer according to its own design. Also to the retailer's credit, the tablet feels sturdy, which seems to be a theme with certain optional Hudl-branded accessories too, including a pair of headphones and a rubbery case that are intended to be child-friendly. Tesco says it will offer double rewards on ClubCard vouchers, allowing customers to get the device for free if they have enough points for a ?60 voucher. There's also an offer coming on Blinkbox vouchers, designed to help boost the Hudl -- we hear vouchers will be half-price next week, so you'll be able to get ?20 of streaming content for a tenner.

Looks hideous (aesthetically) but a lot of the cheap android tablets do. Can see it doing reasonably well to be honest as it looks squarely aimed at parents with young children and at that price it would be a xmas prezzie type of thing.

No webcam, though?

A feature that on 2 tablets and 3 android phones, I have never once used. 

I realise that I am not every android user, but I don't see massive use for webcams on tablets.  What is there?  Skype?

On iOS devices with its flawless Facetime, different matter...

But as a cheap tablet, looks OK specs...

Wow! They're some amazing specs! 1.5GHz quad core, a solid resolution...for 120 pounds!

Joys of going for high volumes low margins - destroy everyone else' margins =P

I have picked 1 of these up today (although tesco seems to be selling out of them fast!!), and can say, so far, it looking a fairly adequate device, there are 2 cameras on it, 3 megapixel on the back, and 2 megapixel on the front. Will have more of a play with it later, before putting it away (its kids xmas pressie so can't play too much with it)

Will have more of a play with it later, before putting it away (its kids xmas pressie so can't play too much with it)

I bet they'll love it. And they'll never know that dad has already checked it out for them. :D