Tesla patents hybrid metal-air battery system

Fascinating. I can't wait to see what other models and inventions they come out with over the coming years. 

Metal-air has been demonstrated before in the lab, but as yet not mass produced. Tesla seems ready to fix that.

Using dual power systems is known as a range-extended series hybrid, and that's already been in the market as the Chevy Volt and a few others.

Most people expected the series hybrids next gen iteration to be a mix of fuel cell and LiION, but Tesla opted for two battery types instead. Makes sense as metal-air is potentially very cheap to produce - one version uses aluminum.

Metal -air batteries are part of Tesla's strategy to change that. They can be very cheap to make, and with EV's batteries are about 1/3 the cost of the car. They're targeting under $30k for the model after the Tesla X crossover, and ~$30 is about the average car cost in 2013. After that supposedly comes Tesla trucks.

As an example of how big metal-air could be, a disposable aluminum-air has been tested that could last 20,000 km in a compact car. Rechargeable metal-air is the holy grail.

• Like 1

As an example of how big metal-air could be, a disposable aluminum-air has been tested that could last 20,000 km in a compact car.

I didn't know that. That is like, wow! I can see why it's a big thing.