Gotham

1380075611.jpg

Just minutes after the first episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. aired on ABC, Warner Bros. have released a piece of news - via Deadline - which should have little to no trouble in stealing the spotlight! In what is being described as "one of the biggest drama deals this season", Fox has nabbed the rights to Gotham and have already given the show - from Warner Bros. and Mentalist creator Bruno Heller - a series commitment. However, rather than focusing on Batman (who will NOT be a part of the series) or any of his superpowered allies, the show will tell the story of a young Commissioner James Gordon. While it's likely that we'll see some familiar faces from the DC Universe, Gotham will feature a young Gordon as a detective before he meets the Caped Crusader and takes control of the police department. The seemingly official logline states that it will tell, "the origin stories of Commissioner James Gordon and the villains that made Gotham famous"

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=87604

"the origin stories of Commissioner James Gordon and the villains that made Gotham famous"

Not really interested, myself. I've never considered him a major character worthy of a show.

Not really interested, myself. I've never considered him a major character worthy of a show.

There's a comic book called Gotham Central that's about GCPD. It's been compared with the series "The Wire" and it's a pretty solid comic book about Gotham Central. Gordon is an interesting character though!

Haha, I just posted this in the Marvel's Agents of Shield topic, and almost everything I said could be repeated here:

So what do they do? Instead of trying to produce quality content with at least some artistic freedom, they concentrate heavily on brand recognition (note how much they focus on MARVEL here) and pre-existing titles the audiences are familiar with (Hannibal, Sleepy Hollow...), in a desperate move to stay competitive. Those are such Hollywood tactics -- if the movie flops, reboot it in a couple of years, if it doesn't, make a sequel -- but unlike Holywood which is as mainstream as it gets, the audiences here have a choice, with Netflix and cable TV providing much higher quality content with such convenience and availability.

The idea sounds really, really lame.

There's a comic book called Gotham Central that's about GCPD. It's been compared with the series "The Wire" and it's a pretty solid comic book about Gotham Central. Gordon is an interesting character though!

Yeah going to be interesting scope for a series

Too early for all the boo-bird negativism. An early days take on Gotham Central, which is an award winning series, would be a great jumping off point - especially if they include some of the classic villains at the start of their careers.

• Like 2

Gotham Central co-writer Greg Rucka wrote on his Tumblr that, to the best of his knowledge, the planned Fox series about a young Commissioner Gordon has nothing to do with Rucka and Ed Brubaker?s acclaimed comic series, at least not directly:

?I offer the following answers: I was as surprised and delighted as everyone to hear they were making a ?young Gordon? cop show. As far as I know, this has nothing to do with Gotham Central. If it did have anything to do with Gotham Central, that wouldn?t matter, because DC owns the rights and the characters, as they should. This was work-for-hire, something all of us knew at the start. I have not been contacted by anyone involved. I would be delighted to be contacted by anyone involved ;) I wish FOX and DC Entertainment success with the show.?

http://ruckawriter.tumblr.com/post/62259039796/my-official-response-to-all-those-questions-about

Gotham Central co-writer Greg Rucka wrote on his Tumblr that, to the best of his knowledge, the planned Fox series about a young Commissioner Gordon has nothing to do with Rucka and Ed Brubaker?s acclaimed comic series, at least not directly:

?I offer the following answers: I was as surprised and delighted as everyone to hear they were making a ?young Gordon? cop show. As far as I know, this has nothing to do with Gotham Central. If it did have anything to do with Gotham Central, that wouldn?t matter, because DC owns the rights and the characters, as they should. This was work-for-hire, something all of us knew at the start. I have not been contacted by anyone involved. I would be delighted to be contacted by anyone involved ;) I wish FOX and DC Entertainment success with the show.?

http://ruckawriter.tumblr.com/post/62259039796/my-official-response-to-all-those-questions-about

This doesn't come as new to me to be honest. I didn't expect them to adapt the comic book series or use it as inspiration. Still though, it could be interesting. And I'm with DocM, it's way too early to be all negative about this. It looks to become a trend that people are negative about an idea for series/movies without having read/seen any plotline/footage/set photos.

This doesn't come as new to me to be honest. I didn't expect them to adapt the comic book series or use it as inspiration. Still though, it could be interesting. And I'm with DocM, it's way too early to be all negative about this. It looks to become a trend that people are negative about an idea for series/movies without having read/seen any plotline/footage/set photos.

Well, personally, I'm negative because I don't find the premise interesting and as with all "historical" (using this in the logic of the DC universe) stuff, you pretty much know what happened. There is no large mystery surrounding Jim Gordon, and there wasn't anything big that defined him worth making an entire series about.

Which in turn makes the stakes nonexistent: however long this show could potentially last, you always know that Jim is safe, because, you know, he has to grow old and team up with Batman. Imagine a cliffhanger where his life is in danger, lol. And whoever they add to the story, you know they're either disposable or well-established. Best chance, they make up a new character which you relate with and try and guess what happened with them to make them disappear from the DC universe. I mean, they could make an average cop show out of it, but then why call it Gotham at all?

Well, personally, I'm negative because I don't find the premise interesting and as with all "historical" (using this in the logic of the DC universe) stuff, you pretty much know what happened. There is no large mystery surrounding Jim Gordon, and there wasn't anything big that defined him worth making an entire series about.

Which in turn makes the stakes nonexistent: however long this show could potentially last, you always know that Jim is safe, because, you know, he has to grow old and team up with Batman. Imagine a cliffhanger where his life is in danger, lol. And whoever they add to the story, you know they're either disposable or well-established. Best chance, they make up a new character which you relate with and try and guess what happened with them to make them disappear from the DC universe. I mean, they could make an average cop show out of it, but then why call it Gotham at all?

Well, that's true but the same could be said about Gotham Central, yet it's an award winning graphic novel. I see what you mean though but I still think it's too early to be negative. I'm sure they'll come up with something interesting for this series.

Well, that's true but the same could be said about Gotham Central, yet it's an award winning graphic novel. I see what you mean though but I still think it's too early to be negative. I'm sure they'll come up with something interesting for this series.

Is Gotham Central based in present time? That could be more interesting, they could use the more obscure characters and the city's clearly gone insane so there could be lots of stuff worth going into. But doing a prequel series... It's sort of a staple that Batman's introduction also serves as a catalyst for all the crazies to come out, without it I just don't see anything particularly interesting about it.

Could be worth it to check the comics if I find the time, I guess.

Is Gotham Central based in present time? That could be more interesting, they could use the more obscure characters and the city's clearly gone insane so there could be lots of stuff worth going into. But doing a prequel series... It's sort of a staple that Batman's introduction also serves as a catalyst for all the crazies to come out, without it I just don't see anything particularly interesting about it.

Could be worth it to check the comics if I find the time, I guess.

See, that's exactly what I always believed too. That it's because of Batman that the likes of the Riddler, Killer Croc, Mad Hatter, etc. roam around Gotham.

The comic is present time because Batman and other members of the Bat-family are in it too.

So, his failed first marriage, second marriage, his son James Jr., neice (or is that daughter?) Barbara (later Batgirl & Oracle), and what he did as a young cop to incur the anger of the first Wrath don't provide material?

Jim Gordon's been a busy boy even before Bats, so there's a ton of other stuff that provides at least as much material as other TV cops.

So, his failed first marriage, second marriage, his son James Jr., neice (or is that daughter?) Barbara (later Batgirl & Oracle), and what he did as a young cop to incur the anger of the first Wrath don't provide material?

Jim Gordon's been a busy boy even before Bats, so there's a ton of other stuff that provides at least as much material as other TV cops.

I'm sorry, but none of that sounds particularly interesting to me. If they ever make it I'll give the trailer a look and decide on it.

Damn, I completely forgot about his son. That could become interesting. Also, if they'd write Barbara (Yeah, she's his daughter) her character in a "Zero Year" type thing (fighting crime without her dad knowing about it) could also be interesting. I didn't know that about the first Wrath though. But didn't he come around when Batman was already in Gotham as well?

Then read Batman: Year One and The Dark Knight Returns

Early Gordon also brings in Dr. Thomas & Martha Wayne, Alfred Pennyworth, Lucious Fox, the Halloween party incident between crime boss Lew Maxon and Dr. Wayne that caused Maxon to have Joe Chill kill the Waynes, the investigation into their murders, the rise of boss Carmine Falcone etc. etc.

There's tons of back stories to explore.

Yes, but Gordon did his parents as a street cop years earlier and I can't imagine Wrath emerging later in life fully formed without priors.

True that. I'm really looking forward to this series. I always found Gordon to be an interesting character so I hope they'll do him justice in this series.

• 2 months later...

According to Bleeding Cool, their source at Warner Bros. tells them that, "the pilot script for GOTHAM has Detective Jim Gordon trying to solve a very famous double homicide." For some reason, they go on to quote Gordon's line about The Joker and a double homicide from the end of Batman Begins, but that very much seems like a case of putting two and two together and coming up with five in this instance. It instead seems far more likely that the series will focus on a younger Gordon, starting the series with him investigating the death of Thomas and Martha Wayne. This would help keep Batman out of the equation and give the team behind the series a whole lot more freedom. A recent press release recently confirmed Cyrus Gold for Arrow, but the site also teases an actual appearance from Solomon Grundy too in the CW series

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=90822

Cyrus Gold and Solomon Grundy are basically one and the same. Can't wait for this series to start though!

Casting is out for an interesting character:

A 10-year-old Bruce Wayne is among the roles that are now being cast as series regulars on the upcoming Fox TV series "Gotham" which explores the origin stories of Commissioner James Gordon and the villains that made Gotham City famous. Shooting on the pilot episode will get underway in March, 2014 and will center on Gotham City PD rookie homicide detective James Gordon who investigates the double murder of Thomas and Martha Wayne. - Feature Film Casting

Src