Nokia Lumia 520 powering off or requires sim pin randomly?

OK so I've had this phone from about the end of July, and intend to use it until the Lumia 925 becomes available in store at KPN (a local provider here) which hopefully won't be for much longer.

Aside from the fact I'm still not on GDR2 (The Netherlands) :/ Sometimes the phone will simply turn itself off for no reason, while there's enough charge on it, this happens maybe two or three times a week at random. I never power it off myself and charge it through the USB port on my PC when needed.

This morning I checked it and saw that I needed to enter the SIM pin in order to connect to KPN, now this is the first time that's happened (it could have rebooted itself, I don't know) but I'm wondering if anyone else who has a 520 or 521 has had the same issues?

I have also encountered some random reboots on this phone. Happens mostly when I am playing some game and device gets hot. Never asked for pin though. Hopefully GDR2 will fix it.

I wonder if it's a heat problem or a RAM problem.

I've seen it apparently hang (screen is blank so can't tell for sure) twice on the bus. Both were pretty hot days and i had it in my hand. I suspected heat at first. The other day I saw it actually hang (screen was on) while I was in Baconit. Baconit has crashed from time to time. I've also seen Baconit giving me an "out of ram" warning so I assume that the crashes caused by insufficient RAM as well. The first two times I shut it off manually (long press power button) then start it again. The last time it rebooted by itself after a while. I'm not sure if I had left it alone the first 2 times whether it would have rebooted by itself as well.

So I'm not sure what exactly is the cause. Will observe it it continues with GDR2

• Like 2

I know when I got my ativ s, it would randomly reboot or freeze maybe once a day. there isn't a specific time, it could just be sitting and it would reboot. it took a few updates,but now it is rock solid in terms of stability. It never happens anymore. The only time I rebooted this phone was during the GDR2 update.

I don't know if theres anything really you can do until the next update that could hopefully remedy the situation. the only thing you could try is to do a software reset if you hadn't already tried.