Two sisters found dead in washing machine

BEIJING (AFP) ?  Two young sisters were found dead in a bloody washing machine at a house in eastern China at the weekend, a newspaper reported Tuesday.

Local police in Jiangxi province have ruled out murder in the case, the Global Times newspaper said, citing the official Xinhua news agency. Police confirmed that the girls died of suffocation, the Global Times report said.

However, other domestic reports said police have not excluded the possibility of foul play.

The newspaper said that the girls -- who died on Saturday -- were aged four and two, while other reports said three and two.

"The father found the girls curled up in the closed washing machine with a lot of blood when he saw the light on the washing machine was flickering," the children's grandfather was quoted by a Jiangxi-based online news portal as saying, according to the paper.

A witness quoted by the portal who was said to have helped take the children to hospital described the heart-breaking scene.

"The girls were swollen and had bruises all over the body," the witness said. "There was a lot of blood in the washing machine."

The children's mother fainted when she heard about the deaths, the witness added.

In ruling out murder, police partly cited good relations within the family and no signs suggesting homicide, the Global Times said, citing Xinhua.

Police were unavailable for comment when contacted by AFP.

Online video reports showed an upright washing machine with a small chair placed next to it in the kitchen of the girls' home.

Many people on China's hugely popular microblogging websites raised suspicions about the deaths.

"The chair was very high. How could the babies get on it? It could be an intentional murder, who believes it's not?" said one netizen on Sina Weibo, a Chinese equivalent of Twitter.

China's Haier Group, the machine's manufacturer, said that the machine would not operate under the conditions that were reported, the newspaper said.

Haier had sent staff to help with the probe, the Global Times added.

source

Oh that's terrible :( I wonder if they were trying to play in it... I always wanted to as a kid myself. Thought it would be fun. How sad.

even if they turned it on  and got in it i doubt theyd of bin able to close the door on it? cus the dorr needs to close and lock on washing machines  and there pretty stiff to close, well at least mine is dunno about cheap mdoels

That spin cycle is murder...

I used to climb into the dryer at the landromat when I was little, my brother and I would take turns in it, as long as the dryer was set to cool or permanent press items, you wouldnt get burned. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

even if they turned it on  and got in it i doubt theyd of bin able to close the door on it? cus the dorr needs to close and lock on washing machines  and there pretty stiff to close, well at least mine is dunno about cheap mdoels

We don't know if it was one of those stupid front loaders or a great top loader.

We don't know if it was one of those stupid front loaders or a great top loader.

It's in the OP...

Online video reports showed an upright washing machine with a small chair placed next to it in the kitchen of the girls' home.

• 2 weeks later...

I talked my brother into getting into the dryer once when we were a couple years above those ages.

I also once put a cat in a microwave.

I didn't turn either of the two on of course...

Better off to lock the laundry door so the kids can't go in there.

If no door, put the heavy thing on top of the washing machine so the kids can not lift...  if front door version, block it with something that the kids can not move it.

Or switch off in the powerbox when it is not in use.

The bloggers question how a 2 and 4 year old could climb a chair, then get atop a washer?

Pfffttt....

When our oldest boy was 2 that summer we found him doing a high-wire act across the top bar of the swing set, and on top of a 7 foot tall china cabinet. Nor long after, age about 2.5, my wife lost track of him while I was working on the roof. Next thing I know the little ape was running across the roof towards me yelling "DADDY!" Wife damned near had a stroke.

Erik the Menace :ROFL:

The bloggers question how a 2 and 4 year old could climb a chair, then get atop a washer?

Pfffttt....

When our oldest boy was 2 that summer we found him doing a high-wire act across the top bar of the swing set, and on top of a 7 foot tall china cabinet. Nor long after, age about 2.5, my wife lost track of him while I was working on the roof. Next thing I know the little ape was running across the roof towards me yelling "DADDY!" Wife damned near had a stroke.

Erik the Menace :ROFL:

Wow.

My brother was little and he was climbing up the stove and played with the switch. Luckily, mom caught him on time. She took him down.

While I doubt doubt the ability for a 2 and 4 year old to find a way into the washer, I am very skeptical of the ability to turn it to a proper setting and then closing the lid, both would be difficult to manage on their own.  Are females still considered a burden in China?