120 members have voted

1. 1. When will the floppy disk die?

• Next 6 months
    • Next Year
    • Next 2-3 years
    • Within 5 years
    • Never
    • Floppy?

I like them, so I hope they don't die. When USB storage is as cheap as a floppy (I don't care about cost per megabyte, I mean the money out lay) then I will be happy to switch.

I like them, so I hope they don't die. When USB storage is as cheap as a floppy (I don't care about cost per megabyte, I mean the money out lay) then I will be happy to switch.

My money outlay for storage (school use) this year: $35

What it would have cost me to do the same with floppies: $5 x 10, doubled for reduced productivity

USB: $35, Floppies: $100

Can you boot a PC from a USB storage device?

Floppys are just to easy to use :p

Yes you can boot from a USB storage device but this is far from universal.

Can you boot a PC from a floppy disk? Not really anymore. Most hard drives use NTFS these days.

probably never, every computer i've built i've included a floppy drive. up until the latest computer I built for my self, figured i havent used them in a while, so no point in taking the time to put it in. (yes i know it takes 10 seconds to put it in, but still)

• 2 weeks later...

Most likely by the time Longhorn is released. By then, using floppies will be futile and Microsoft will just have the option to boot from a CD-ROM/DVD-ROM! Using 6 boot floppies for XP is retarded and many people will be saving documents that will be too large to fit onto a floppy! So I chose within 2 or 3 years. ;)