Always get "File Access Denied" when moving/copying files in 8.1

Erm, because the file is owed by an administrator?
Right click, click properties and view security info. If it's owned by administrator, you need to make it owned by your user instead so change ownership from the dialogue, you can do it to a whole folder if there's a lot of items in a folder owned by administrator.

Erm, because the file is owed by an administrator?

Right click, click properties and view security info. If it's owned by administrator, you need to make it owned by your user instead so change ownership from the dialogue, you can do it to a whole folder if there's a lot of items in a folder owned by administrator.

Then I want to become Administrator. How?

I don't this crap every time I want to do something with my files.

Then I want to become Administrator. How?

I don't this crap every time I want to do something with my files.

With windows 7 you can't unless you fully disable UAE afaik.

They might be your files but for some reason they are owned by administrator. Are you transferring them from another PC or what?

With windows 7 you can't unless you fully disable UAE afaik.

They might be your files but for some reason they are owned by administrator. Are you transferring them from another PC or what?

I'm using Windows 8.1. 8 before that, 7 before that, Vista before that.

I've always had these files, and I've never touched permissions.

Microsoft are treating my like a child with my own files.

"Microsoft are treating my like a child with my own files."

No windows is following the PERMISSIONS that have been set on the file or the directory..

What are the permissions of the folder your trying to move these files too? And what are the permissions on the file..

If you post these then we can fix it so you don't have to elevate to admin to work with your files -- there is NO reason to disable UAC to correctly work with your files.

If you want I would be happy to team viewer in and clean this up for you.. It take all of 2 minutes most likely.

It continues after you elevate up.. But depending on where your file is at and where your trying to copy or move it should not require elevation if the permissions are set on the files/folders to allow you to do what you want. Unless your moving the files into say program files folder or windows, etc. Or different users folder? Permissions should be set to allow this without elevation.

You will get this message when you're copying to a location that you, yourself did not create such as the root of your system drive. Where are you copying these files to/from?

Unfortunately file permission can get easily messed up if you reinstall windows or move the drive.  If the user was the owner then the folder/files have an Unknown owner of the folder.  There is a batch file to add a right-click Take Ownership command on a file/folder.  It should help you fix this issue.  One you take ownership you can remove the old users that don't exists.  You can also manually take ownership through the security tab.  Yeah UAC should never be disabled in today's internet unless you like infections.

tldr i bet you shared the folder then the 8.1 install actually does a reinstall and lost the user/security.  now the folder is owned by unknown, ie the security prompt.

Take ownership of the source and you'll be fine. If you had a separate drive under a different user name then you formatted your OS drive and setup another one then Windows will think it's "owned" by X user which is no longer available. So unless you keep usernames the same between installs you'll always have issues such as this.

Does not matter who the OWNER is.. Not sure why you people keep bringing that up. The only time owner would come into play is account being used did not have permissions set on the file, and need to change them.. Then he would either need to use an account, or elevate up to an account that had permissions.

OR no account had permissions then yes he would have to be owner to change the permissions to what he wanted. As an administrator on the computer, then can always take ownership if need be to adjust the permissions.

But clearly administrator group has permissions already since he is elevating up to the admin token and his copy/move completes.

Once we have the details of the permissions setup on the folders/files he is trying to move then we can adjust them to his liking.. But there has been nothing stated as of yet that would suggest anything having to do with who the owner currently is or having to take it, etc.

right click on folder you want to copy to

click propeties

Click security tab

Click Advanced button

Click Owner tab

Click your name in the lower box and also tick the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects"

**EDIT**

To solve problem for future re-installs - instead of clicking on your name, replace your name with the EVERYONE

Click "Other users or groups..." button

Click Advanced

Click "Find Now" button

scroll down list and click on "Everyone" then click OK button (Or just double click on Everyone) 

Click Ok button

Make sure Everyone is highlighted in list or names (if not click on it) and also tick the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects"

**End of Edit**

Click Apply or OK button

Then click ok to close down all the pop-up properties boxes

Problem fixed  :) as budman said, takes all of 2 minutes or less to do.

Edited by YouWhat

"Microsoft are treating my like a child with my own files."

No windows is following the PERMISSIONS that have been set on the file or the directory..

What are the permissions of the folder your trying to move these files too? And what are the permissions on the file..

If you post these then we can fix it so you don't have to elevate to admin to work with your files -- there is NO reason to disable UAC to correctly work with your files.

If you want I would be happy to team viewer in and clean this up for you.. It take all of 2 minutes most likely.

It continues after you elevate up.. But depending on where your file is at and where your trying to copy or move it should not require elevation if the permissions are set on the files/folders to allow you to do what you want. Unless your moving the files into say program files folder or windows, etc. Or different users folder? Permissions should be set to allow this without elevation.

Not all folders do it, and on not all drives.

Also, I've never once touched permissions for any file in the years I've had most of these files.

I promise, it's Windows that has done this along the way somehow.

If you could RC to my PC, that would be legendary.

Im on a work call at the moment - but sure I would be happy to remote to your machine and we could go over the permissions of where you source and dest folders are, etc.

PM the info - teamviewer works great.. And can connect in.

Ok tv in - pretty sure we got him all fixed up. His old drives had users group set to read only ;) Walked through one how to write permissions down the tree and he fixed up his other disks. He has a few of them ;)

• Like 3

• 2 months later...