Excellent Signal strength but very slow speed

For the past 8 months my wifi speed always fall within the range of 25 ~ 40 Mbps with excellent signal strength.

Starting last Friday I noticed a big dropped of my internet speed despite having 'Excellent' signal strength. On Saturday I thought my internet adaptor going to spoil soon so I went to buy a new one and the speed was good but became slow again the next day.

29th Sept 2013:

Time: 11am
Wi-Fi signal strength: Excellent
Download: 45Mbps
Upload: 25Mbps

Time: 2pm
Download: 20Mbps
Upload: 11Mbps

Time: 5pm
Wi-Fi signal strength: Good
Download: 15Mbps
Upload: 0.4Mbps

30th Sept 2013

Time: 7pm

Signal: Excellent

Download 10Mbps

Upload: 10Mbps

Time: 8.30pm

Download: 3Mbps

Upload: 0.1Mbps

I tried switching channels but the speed just doesn't change much.

Please help me.

For the past 8 months my wifi speed always fall within the range of 25 ~ 40 Mbps with excellent signal strength.

Starting last Friday I noticed a big dropped of my internet speed despite having 'Excellent' signal strength. On Saturday I thought my internet adaptor going to spoil soon so I went to buy a new one and the speed was good but became slow again the next day.

29th Sept 2013:

Time: 11am

Download: 45Mbps

Upload: 25Mbps

Time: 2pm

Download: 20Mbps

Upload: 11Mbps

Time: 5pm

Wi-Fi signal strength: Good

Download: 15Mbps

Upload: 0.4Mbps

30th Sept 2013

Time: 7pm

Download 10Mbps

Upload: 10Mbps

Time: 8.30pm

Download: 3Mbps

Upload: 0.1Mbps

I tried switching channels but the speed just doesn't change much.

Please help me.

Hello :)

Lets start with some simple questions.

1: Does anyone else in your house use your wifi/internet connection?

2: Do any other devices connect to the wifi?

3: What kind of security do you have on your wifi?

Once you give us those answers, I think most members will be able to resolve your problem quickly.

- No

- My handphone but not surfing internet or downloading anything. Don't even have facebook or whatsapp.

- Firewall

- WPA2-Personal for my wi-fi password protection

Also lets test with a wire!!  Do you see the same speeds - then its the isp.

I subscribed to 200Mbps.

My laptop using ethernet cable got the following:

Download: 245Mbps

Upload: 280Mbps

All the while my desktop can get about 25Mbps to 40Mbps but now it jsut become very slow. I wonder is it because of spyware or anything.

Just did a ccclean and deleted many stuffs and fixed my registry but internet is still slow.

Date:30th Sept

Time: 9:20pm

Download: 4Mbps

Upload: 0.2Mbps

And your happy with 40Mbps -- arrrghhh...  That is really slow N speeds..  What does your wireless connection show for its speed?  /2 would be more like the speeds you should see.. From internet.  What is your wireless router?  And what is your wireless card in your laptop?

Grab say inssider and look for interference -- possible someone brought up a wireless network on the same channel as you, etc.

And your happy with 40Mbps -- arrrghhh...  That is really slow N speeds..  What does your wireless connection show for its speed?  /2 would be more like the speeds you should see.. From internet.  What is your wireless router?  And what is your wireless card in your laptop?

Grab say inssider and look for interference -- possible someone brought up a wireless network on the same channel as you, etc.

40Mbps is the speedtest I did online.

Previoulsy, my desktop use Linksys AE300 and it only give me 1 bars signal. I then tried TP-link WN7200ND and I can get 4 bars

I do speedtest occassionally and usually I will get 25Mbps ~ 40Mbps speed.

Only until last Friday it's speed dropped way below 15Mbps that I start to think is it going to spoil.

I went to buy TP-link WDN4800 and initially the speed is even better, did a speed test and I can reach 45Mbps but the next day onwards it start to drop.

My wireless connection speed show 144.4Mbps.

I'm using ASUS N56 router.

I did try to change my internet channel but the speed at most I can get is 20Mbps for download.

- No

- My handphone but not surfing internet or downloading anything. Don't even have facebook or whatsapp.

- Firewall

- WPA2-Personal for my wi-fi password protection

I imagine that handphone is your cell.

Well BudMan is pretty much a expert on these things and I agree inSSIDer is a great tool to see how many wireless networks are around you. Check that out and tell us.

I imagine that handphone is your cell.

Well BudMan is pretty much a expert on these things and I agree inSSIDer is a great tool to see how many wireless networks are around you. Check that out and tell us.

Will post a screenshot soon.

Use something like LAN Speed Test and not speedtest.net that only checks internet speed and not necessarily the WLAN. 

Actually no, switch to Channel 1 which seems to be the best. InSSIDer shows your signal quality at 30, that's horrible. :no:

And for speed issues - which router are you using also? Change the wireless settings from 40Mhz to 20mhz also as using 40 just invitation for trouble.

Actually no, switch to Channel 1 which seems to be the best. InSSIDer shows your signal quality at 30, that's horrible. :no:

And for speed issues - which router are you using also? Change the wireless settings from 40Mhz to 20mhz also as using 40 just invitation for trouble.

Yep It's best to use 20Mhz for congested areas due to the secondary channel overlapping with another SSID. 

What else is connected to the wireless.  The wireless will slow down to the slowest device connected, doesn't matter if it is downloading anything or sitting idle.  Disconnect all other wireless clients and try the speed test again.

disconnect the "handphone"....it probably is only connected at g speed.

What else is connected to the wireless.  The wireless will slow down to the slowest device connected, doesn't matter if it is downloading anything or sitting idle.  Disconnect all other wireless clients and try the speed test again.

disconnect the "handphone"....it probably is only connected at g speed.

/offtopic

In general i'll always defer to you and Budman for network stuff but in this case the part about slowing down the whole network is a bit outdated. This hasn't been the case for a while. If a G device is sitting idle on the network it wont slow down everything else. If it's active then it will slow things down but N clients will still be a faster, not full "N" speed as normal however.

I have Dell Latitude XT (G only) along with my Thinkpad (AGN). I've recently updated it to Windows 7 as I mentioned (in other posts) and downloading tons of updates plus downloading ISOs on it didn't cripple the 2.4Ghz network as it usually does. Obviously 5Ghz is not affected.

/offtopic

Ahh sweet, your link score jumped to 77/100 now which is much better. Speeds still suck though, care to post your advanced wireless settings?

Also it seems your desktop is 5Ghz so why aren't you connected to that one?

Oh and besides speedtest - downloading a file from say Microsoft.com or somewhere fast, does that work good?

those speeds are really slow for even g though.  something is def up with the wireless. Have you tried resetting the router to see if it makes a difference.  something sure isn't right.

How about you kill off N, as in set your router to G ONLY mode and see if that makes a difference.

I only have 3 options:

- Auto

- N only

- Legacy

Currently I'm using 'Auto'