Excellent Signal strength but very slow speed

well that link score is much better than the 30 you were seeing. What are your speed tests now?

Now as a ruff rule of thumb you can take that 144/2 to max possible bandwidth you can see in real world.. From a wireless to wired. If wireless to wireless /4 So should be seeing something closer to 70mbps then 40 if your internet connection is in the 200mbps range.

That is just a ruff calculation mind its most likely going to be something smaller than /2 -- with for example a 54mbps G connection if you were seeing 23mbps you would be freaking screaming!!! More common g connections are in the 18 to 21 range in real world performance.

To get 300mbps you would have to be using 40mhz - so at 144 your showing now is prob best your going to see with 20mhz

In answer to your slightly off topic remarks.

Dude we have gone over this and over this -- Sorry but G connected to N is a performance hit PERIOD!!! It is JUST a fact to how wireless works..

It is not possible to have G and N connected at the same time and not see a hit.. Now if the G is not doing anything it might not be a very large hit, but its going to be a hit!..

http://www.motorolasolutions.com/web/Business/Products/_Documents/White_Paper/Performance%20Impact%20of%20802.11N%20Capable%20Access%20Point.pdf

Without going into the tech side - please read the paper yourself.

"allowing these options for more tolerance in a coexistence environment, the overall throughput will take a direct hit"

Just the fact that the AP has to use mechanisms for allowing G to talk to the AP will cause a hit.. Even if G is not connected, the features required to allow G to connect remove some of the increases that N allow.

Please read the above paper, or any paper you like that discusses how N improves performance over G.. These methods can not be fully used if G is going to have to talk on the same connection. This is just common sense - not even having to understand how the protocols work at any technical level.

I didn't upgrade my firmware as previously I called up ASUS and asked about it, the technician guy told me not to upgrade.

The firmware I linked to is not made or supported by Asus. That being said, it might give you better results.

can you try a different router?

I used another router that I bought last time but didn't use as the frequency wave give me headache.

Tested it with this router and I got the below result:

Signal: Fair

Download: 3.2Mbps

Upload:0.2Mbps

But with a wire you get your 200mbps speeds?

are you on w7 or w8? Or something else - want be able to give you the commands too look at the wireless connection details correctly. Not sure if these commands have changed in w8

So for example

post-14624-0-41866600-1380640819.jpg

So what most interested in is the tx and rx rates.. When your showing good speedtest, and then when your showing bad speedtest.

You most likely need to run this from an elevated prompt.

Sounds like it could be your wireless adapter.

Yeah, that's what I thought initially so I went to buy a new one.

On the first day of my new wireless adapter it was all good until the next day evening then it dropped to the same speed just like my previous adapter.

I'm thinking is it because of virus or anything.

Maybe it will get better after i reformat my desktop?

could try loading up a linux live disk if your wireless adapter is compatible and see if you get better speeds

I really don't know why suddenly it just happen, the speed don't even go back to normal.

I'm so angry like an angry bird now

Please help!!

You sure someone is not popping popcorn in the microwave when you do your speed test ;)

The liveCD seems like a simple way to validate its not hardware or something outside of the client your using causing the problem. If you boot a liveCD and just rock with great speeds never seeing a slowdown - then that points to something in the OS or driver.. If you has the same problems - then its maybe something in the hardware, or some outside influence causing the issue - interference from other wireless, microwave, cordless phone, etc. Or issue with the router itself.

Do you have other wireless clients you can test from to your router - do they have the same issue?

• 3 weeks later...

I tried to ran a speedtest again in safe mode with network and the speed is still the same.

Did a firmware upgrade but still the same speed.

Tested using my ASUS eee netbook and it got a better speed but not my desktop.